MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-10-11, 15:30

Default Mike Cecil! AWM needs you back

I was e-mailed this article tonight from fellow RAAHC member. It's always good to see restorations of memorials and historic items in public ownership, but surely someone should specify some standards rather just leave the colour choice to the powdercoater contracted to do the job.

I've attached: a)the whole scan of the article, but reduced to fit, and
b)just the text of the article in a readable size, and finally
c)the paragraph in the story that made me blurt coffee!

Bob McNeill, you're from Orange, NSW right?? Could you get some pics of this gun please to post here, and we can decide if Humbrol powdercoat is the way to go for other projects?
Attached Thumbnails
Scan story.jpg   Scan pt1.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 28-10-11, 19:04

Smile

I think you will find it was more a mistake of the idiot who wrote the piece rather then the Canberra War Memorial Museum. I mix original colours from a paint formula given to me by Mike which is based on a mix of Humbrol model Paints to get the correct colour.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 29-10-11, 02:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default baby

If you travel south of Orange towards Canowndra, in a little village called CARGO there is a baby 25 pndr gun in the central square. It was overgrown with weeds and very sad looking last time I saw it. In that particular region of NSW , small villages and towns were given a baby 25 as a memorial . Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 29-10-11, 14:15

Default colour

Without being rude, the state of the 25Pr at Anzac park in Orange was a disgrace, the mere fact that it,s been painted will protect it from the elements, its green thats a bonus. Theres a fence around it, so only big kids can smash bottles on it . The Cargo memorial is privately owned and it took numerous letters and discussions just to get the fence and overhead cover put up to protect it. History lesson, The shorts where damaged at Bathurst in 46 prior to bring sold, most sold to local farmers who used the trails and axle assemblies, throwing the other bits under trees and sheds. Several families of x gunners have put together memorials and placed them in their towns. The Cargo unit has been moved at least 3 times within the town since 1988 when the RSL sub branch closed down. My short 25 has parts of from 6 known in this area, with many more taken out of Bathurst in the early 90,s some complete except for Army damage. Foot note One serviceman injured by shrapnel while blowing the barrels.