MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 06-01-07, 01:22
Senior Forum Member

Post The Essex Regiment (Tank)

I came across two photos of personnel of The Essex Regiment (Tank) or at the time the photos were taken, the 30th Reconnaissance Regiment (The Essex Regiment), C.A.C., in England and I thought I'd share them since there doesn't seem to many photos out there of this unit.

first photo:

Officers of the Essex Regiment with a newly-assembled Loyd CTSC Tracked Starting and Charging Carrier, England, 27 January 1944 (L-R): Lieutenants R.S. Willis, F.A. Knight
Source: LAC - PA-188967
Attached Thumbnails
a188967-v6 essex regt.jpg  
Old 06-01-07, 01:26
Senior Forum Member

Post The Essex Regiment (Tank)

the second photo:

Sergeants of the Essex Regiment, England, 27 January 1944
(Front row, L-R): Sergeants K.A. Barnhouse, E.R. Fortunase, S.G. Holt, D.M. Kearns, W.J. Norris, J. Anderson, B.M. Stalker.
(Rear row, L-R): Sergeants H. Sinclair, J. Zybala, S. Gary, J.L. Savoie
Source: LAC - PA-188972

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
a188972-v6 essex regt sgts.jpg  
Old 06-01-07, 01:42
GM Fox I

Default Re: photo #1

Is it just me, or is the guy on the right telling the guy on the left to, er, mind his own business?

Thanks for these Mark, nice photo's!!
Old 06-01-07, 02:00
GM Fox I

Default Formation Flashes

The diamond shaped formation flashes on the arms: are they green or grey (Pacific or Atlantic Commands, remnants of the flashes worn while in Canada) or blue or red (1st or 2nd Corps) relating to their attachment to an overseas establishment?
Old 06-01-07, 16:44
Senior Forum Member

Caption: Personnel of the Essex Regiment in the kitchen of the unit’s officers’ mess, England, 27 January 1944
(L-R): Trooper G.R. Maisonville, Corporal L.W. Humeniuk
Source: LAC - PA-188969
Attached Thumbnails
a188969-v6 essex mess a.jpg  
Old 06-01-07, 16:45
Senior Forum Member

Caption: Lance-Corporal E.J. Priess of the Essex Regiment sorting the unit’s mail, England, 27 January 1944
Source: LAC - PA-188974
Attached Images

Old 06-01-07, 16:47
Senior Forum Member

Caption: Personnel of the Essex Regiment test-running the engine of a vehicle being assembled in England, 27 January 1944
(L-R): Troopers J.W. Dick, J.H. Thackeray
Source: LAC - PA-188564
Attached Thumbnails
a188564-v6 essex engine.jpg  
Old 06-01-07, 20:16
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Formation Flashes

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
The diamond shaped formation flashes on the arms: are they green or grey (Pacific or Atlantic Commands, remnants of the flashes worn while in Canada) or blue or red (1st or 2nd Corps) relating to their attachment to an overseas establishment?
Hi Bruce;

Good question(s).

By the date of the photos (Jan 44), I would rule out both Commands and I Cdn Corps. If anything, the personnel seen wearing the formation patches in this series of photos I've posted, are probably wearing that of II Cdn Corps, and are, more than likely peronnel of the regiment serving or on strength of a unit/formation of 'Corps Troops', II Cdn Corps.

A brief outline of the Essex Regiment (Tank)'s war service may be in order here:

Some of the below mentioned information is from 'A Brief History of the Windsor Regiment (RCAC)' by Sgt Jim Callard CD, The Windsor Regiment (RCAC), located: here and from my own research.

From - A Brief History of the Windsor Regiment (RCAC):

"The call finally came on 27 May, 1940. We were to provide a company of soldiers for local protection in the Windsor, Ontario area."

From my own research:

The Essex Regiment (Tank)(Details)
(Note: N.P.A.M. Called Out on Service in Military District No. 1 under GO 108/40)
Authorized: GO 108/40 - Effective 28 May 40
Disbanded: GO 44/41 - Effective 1 Jan 41

From - A Brief History of the Windsor Regiment (RCAC) continued:

"On January 27, 1942 the Regiment changed roles within the Armoured Corp. On that date we became a reconnaissance regiment and the "active" unit of the Essex Regiment (Tank) became the divisional recce regiment for the 7th Division. The Regiment was sent to Dundurn, Saskatchewan in October, 1942. Camp Dundurn was the home of A27 Canadian Armoured Corp Reconnaissance Training Centre. Instead of heading west, the 7th Division went to Debert, Nova Scotia where it was disbanded in 1944."

From my own research:

Serial 1424 - 30th Reconnaissance Battalion (The Essex Regiment), C.A.C.
Authorized: GO 309/42 - Effective 12 May 42
Converted & Redesignated: GO 455/42 - Effective 8 Jun 42
Converted & Redesignated: Serial No. 1424 - 30th Reconnaissance Regiment (The Essex Regiment), C.A.C. - GO 455/42 - Effective 8 Jun 42

Serial 1424 - 30th Reconnaissance Regiment (The Essex Regiment), C.A.C.
Authorized: GO 455/42 - Effective 8 Jun 42
Disbanded: GO 299/44 - Effective 31 Mar 44

From - A Brief History of the Windsor Regiment (RCAC) continued:

"On December 2, 1942 LtCol Warnica, now commanding the Regiment, was informed that the Regiment was going to an unspecified task with the 2nd Canadian Division. Six months later, the Regiment still in Dundurn, word was received that they were off the United Kingdom. The first leg of the trip was to Camp Borden, Ontario, arriving in June, 1943. July 9th was the day the Regiment headed for St. John, New Brunswick and then to Aldershot, Nova Scotia, arriving on the 12th. In Halifax on the 18th of July, the Regiment boarded His Majesty's Transport Queen Elizabeth bound for Greenock, Scotland where they landed on the 27 of July, 1943.

The CO was called to the office of General McNaughton where he was informed that the Regiment had a special assignment. There was a large amount of unassembled military vehicles that needed to be put together. So as luck would have it, the men of the Essex Regiment (Tank), many of whom joined the army to escape the auto plants, found themselves as overseas auto workers. They would be paid $1.30 a day while their friends on the assemble lines in Windsor were getting $5.00 to $6.00 a day for the same work. They became Number 1 Canadian Armoured Corp Company Canadian Equipment Assembly Unit. On April 6, 1944, the active unit was disbanded and the personnel became reinforcements for other regiments in the European Theater."

Clive M. Law found the following in War Diaries at Library & Archives Canada: (this is from an earlier thread regarding CMP Assembly)

"No. 1 Canadian Equipment Assembly Unit. Located at Borden, Hants from 18 October 1943 to June 1944. Assembled A and B vehicles in the UK".

It's a bit of a mystery to me why the two Lieutenants and the Corporal that appear in these photos are wearing a 'diamond shaped' formation patch, if anything, I could see them possibly wearing the CMHQ formation patch since No. 1 C.E.A.U. came under that headquarters, so to speak.

It may very well be that the two Lieutenants and the Corporal accompained the photographer (Lt G. Barry Gilroy) on his visit to the Essex Regiment (Tank) on 27 Jan 44 (and that's why they are wearing 'diamond shaped' formation patches and no one else in the photos are).

Anyways Bruce, thats my 2¢ worth. Maybe someone else can add something here.

Cheers
Old 07-01-07, 15:54

Interesting questions. The date of the photo is some key evidence. Taken in January of 1944, the Essex Tanks had been in the UK for six months. Canadian units, on proceeding overseas were supposed to take down any patches worn in Canada. (Note "supposed to do so"). Six months down the line it would be highly unlikely that members of the unit would be wearing Atlantic or Pacific Command diamonds in the UK. My thinking goes with Mark's conclusion, that the patching is likely 2nd Corps. (Why not 1st Cdn Army or CMHQ troops is another question.)
Another interesting question about the Essex Tanks. Did they wear the Atlantic Command or the Pacific Command or the 7th Div patches while in Canada? The Essex were part of the 7th Div, which was tasked to defend Atlantic Canada. However the Essex were left in Dundurn Saskatchewan. Confirmation of the patching would be welcome.
Old 08-01-07, 00:54
GM Fox I

Default Bill...

"Canadian units, on proceeding overseas were supposed to take down any patches worn in Canada. (Note "supposed to do so")."

Regards your last and 'supposed to...', this from the Maple Leaf newspaper, October 2, 1944:
Attached Thumbnails
maple leaf cartoon.jpg  
Old 08-01-07, 01:59

Default Bing

Hey Bruce, I used the same cartoon in Clive Law's Distinguishing Patches book. Supposed is the operative word. One thing for sure though, after 6 months the unit would have to conform to the overseas practices.
Old 08-01-07, 02:28
GM Fox I

Default But...

ain't it a great cartoon that shows a wealth of differences between home and overseas flashes!!
Old 11-03-07, 00:52
Roland

Hi there,

I wonder if the date on the pictures 1944 is the same date as when the pictures were taken. As the Loyd carrier on the first picture in an early type one; 1940-41 ( different mudguards, towinghook, engine compartmentetc.) As you said it was just put together it can't have been in 1944.

does this maken any sence?

gr,

Roland
Old 11-03-07, 01:42

Quote:
Originally posted by globalkoster
Hi there,

I wonder if the date on the pictures 1944 is the same date as when the pictures were taken. As the Loyd carrier on the first picture in an early type one; 1940-41 ( different mudguards, towinghook, engine compartmentetc.) As you said it was just put together it can't have been in 1944.

does this maken any sence?

gr,

Roland
Is it possible that an older Loyd Carrier (from 1940 - 41) was just converted into a Starting and Charging Carrier in 1944 therefore the description “newly-assembled”.
Old 11-03-07, 06:45
Des

Quote:
Is it just me, or is the guy on the right telling the guy on the left to, er, mind his own business?
Or he could be saying, "I wish you wouldn't polish your boots to such a high standard, Ronnie, as it means we'll all have to follow suit & we want to get out on the town tonight".

The image of the Sergeants could have been taken of a bunch last week.

I love these old B & W Hi Res. images. They really do look the business I think.