MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-07-12, 02:12

Default Text removed as content is no longer current.

Text removed as content is no longer current.

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 05-10-17 at 20:37.
Old 12-07-12, 05:00
carrier mech

As bad as this delay sounds, I personally hope it is to get back on track. I was seeing ads for the Checz Tatra.....not sure what they were thinking considering buying a soviet block truck rarely found in North America.
Old 12-07-12, 18:23
Frankencarrier owner

Crap...stuck with the same old junk for another 10 years...
Old 12-07-12, 19:50
David Pope

I typed CMP trucks into the Bing search and came up with lots of pics too.
Bing CMPs
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 12-07-12, 21:59
M38A1 CDN3

The original G & M article says that this was a replacement for the medium sized vehicle.

That would be a replacement for the MLVW. But isn't the MSVS such a replacement?

Further, Vol 19 Issue 6 of Esprit de Corps quotes that 2600 LSVWs are to be removed from service.

Further still, Merx has an on-line Opportunity Abstract for spare parts for the LSVW.

Colour me confused.

?????
Old 12-07-12, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
...That would be a replacement for the MLVW. But isn't the MSVS such a replacement?...
No, not that I'm aware of. Serious "off-road" restrictions to the MSVS Fleet when compared to the MLVW. MSVS is a MilCOTS.

The Military didn't kill the MLVW, BTW; I hear it was another Federal Dept. I dunno.

regards
Darrell
Old 13-07-12, 00:12
carrier mech

There were two fleets being procured to replace the MLVW: those IHC Defense trucks were primarily for the militia and there was to be a proper military truck for the regular force. I believe the reg force truck was to have armour capability but I could be wrong on that. Either way, it is once again reminiscent of when the reg force got the 76 chev 5/4 ton, while the militia got the 74 Dodge powerwagon followed by the 81 chev 3/4 ton, followed by the CUCV.

It will be interesting to hear what the reasoning is for this delay.
Old 13-07-12, 00:20
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I thought todays modernized CF was trying to be more universal; no more "us" and "them" mentality AKA militia vs regulars???
Sounds like going backwards instead of forwards with regards to veh replacement, serviceability etc. Two different fleets, two different sets of problems with procument of parts, servicing etc etc.
Are the LSVWs going to become mil-surp, similar to the Iltis or will they suffer the same fate as the MLVW series???

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 13-07-12, 04:43
carrier mech

But there is "us" and "them". The reserve force has only been used to supplement the regular army in either peace keeping or war for the last what? 60 years? So why buy a truck for them that has wartime features that will never be used. In aide to the civil power situations, where the reserve units do occasionally get called out, their milcot vehicles will fit the bill.

In this day and age it would be hard to justify the expense of 800 extra full SMP vehicles which in all likelihood would never leave the geographical areas they were initially issued to.

Note the same principle also applied to the G-wagons, where milcots were supplied in lieu of a 1/4 ton vehicle. There were some exceptions like the recce militia who would have a hard time doing recce in crew cab silverados. In the case of that class of vehicle, the G wagons were around $160,000 each, and the Silverados were likely closer to $35K.

If there was ever a vehicle that deserved to be crushed beyond recognition, it would be the LSVW. Plagued by problems from the day they were issued, they will always represent the results of political interference in what should have been a technical selection process.
Old 13-07-12, 13:46
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Very good points Rob, that I never considered.
Can you explain to me why we have chosen to purchase foreign made equipment rather than building it ourselves?
It seems to me a point in case once more where we are sending Canadian jobs outside of our boarders rather than keeping them at Home. You would think something like our our Defence should be made from home grown expertise, construction and manpower.
For the naysayers out there, recall our military vehicle capacity during WW2 and the fact that we could be a vendor instead of a buyer, just like in WW2.
Canada should maintain its own Defence Industry, on a smaller scale, least in my opinion. Being close neighbours with the US has me wondering why we do not consider anything that they use and perhaps ride coat tail on some of their contracts as a second option?

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 13-07-12, 13:57
carrier mech

It very likely will be built in Canada if possible, although I can't say is that is a condition of this tender. The IHC DEfense trucks were an exception. Vehicles like the AHSVS Mercedes Actros were wartime purchases and in the need for timeliness they were bought straight from Mercedes in Germany. The G-wagons were also bought straight out of Europe.

Understand that to simply set up a production facility to manufacture a limited run of 1500 trucks every 25 years is not economically feasible. Normally a Canadian or North American company will pair up with a known foreign producer of a SMP vehicle. Once the vehicle is selected, it will then be assembled in Canada, with as much Cdn content as is reasonable. This will normally mean a North American made alternator, Canadian tires, M-series lighting, and things like choke or throttle cables.
Old 13-07-12, 19:22
carrier mech

Canadian content on the Iltis also included the choke and throttle cables. I met an LCMM once who related the story that he met a guy at some function who's company made these cables. Bombardier promised that if the company ever sold cables directly to DND rather than through Bombardier, that Bombardier would never buy another cable from them again.

I believe there was also some debate between DND and Bombardier as to who owned the drawings for the parts. In the end, the DND name was on the bottom corner of the drawings, so we were able to source parts from alternate suppliers.
Old 14-07-12, 00:15
carrier mech

It is my understanding that when Atco lost the Cancap project to SNC Lavalin in Bosnia, Atco tried to claim that all the written docs wrt SOPs etc were the property of ATCO and not transferrable to the replacement company. In the end, DND pointed out that they were all written on the DND's dime, and thus were the property of DND.