MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-05-12, 14:22

Question Help wanted: looking to identify this C8A HUP

Hello Experts,

In my quest for information on the signs and markings on a HUP I came across this site. Before I go into the specifics please allow me to introduce myself.
Two close friends of mine recently inherited their late father's collection of WW2 military vehicles and other collectibles. Their main objective is to keep their vehicles in shape and expand the collection whenever possible. Since they only have limited time to maintain the rolling stock, I was asked to do the (very) necessary maintenance and preservation of weapons and uniforms and also take care of missing documentation/background information.

The HUP at hand was rescued some 12 yrs ago from French reserve depots and bears it's original paint and markings, although the WD number marking is clearly post-war. It is said that the vehicle is quite unique, although I do not know what findings this was based on.
I am pretty well known with the German and US military markings from the 44-45 ETO but my knowledge is lacking when it comes to British and Canadian forces. I have included the different signs and markings in this message that are found on the vehicle. I got as far as being it a HUP once attached to the 4th Armoured Div. (gold leaf on green), 15th Field Rgt (towed) RCA which was attached as divisional support arty, regimental HQ (?). I suspect this being a battery HQ vehicle, considering the black diamond tac sign although I do not know what the "blue halve" in that diamond means. Also, the golden beaver sign is unknown to me. Is this a common Canadian forces logo?
Lastly, I was wondering if there is anything to say about the vehicle's WD number (CZxxxx) origins and where the HUP fits in the basic order of battle for artillery units of that era.

Would someone be able to identify this vehicle down to its original battery and troop?
I already attempted to contact one of the few veterans of the 15th field rgt still alive but unfortunately never got any reply. So far, the RCA museum in Shilo has only been able to provide me with basic information I already had.

I truly appreciate any information you can provide!
Attached Thumbnails
Formation Sign 4th Armoured Division.JPG   Unit Sign 15th Field Regiment RCA.JPG   Tactical sign HQ Sq.jpg   Sign Gold on red.JPG  
Old 13-06-12, 07:05

Your request was passed to the 15 Field Association by a retired commanding officer. When I get a response, I will repost and send you a PM.
Old 13-06-12, 08:17

Thanks in advance for your efforts, Stan!