MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 15-04-12, 03:22

Default Question about WW2 Fibre DR Lids

I have a question about Fibre DR lids...I just bought 2..both were painted white...the "taller" one has some of the "White" missing and I can see it was Green underneath..dated 1943..the interesting one is very "short"..on one side is painted a red square with a yellow Maple Leaf..and on the other side is square...top right is very dark blue..the lower left side is yellow..and the number 21 is overlaid on it...any ideas?
Were these used in Europe?

Wish I knew about this sort of thing...I bought these with a load of WW1 Canadian and German bits as well as several WW2 Canadian Officers shirts and other items...some I will keep some I will sell...but I now think some may be WW1...need to do more research

Dean
Old 15-04-12, 04:02
Mr. HUP

Default Dr?

Hi, For those of us that are not quick on the uptake, what exactly is a DR lid?
Old 15-04-12, 04:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Hi, For those of us that are not quick on the uptake, what exactly is a DR lid?
was just thinking the same thing myself

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 15-04-12, 04:16

Sorry Dispatch riders helmet.

Dean
Old 15-04-12, 11:44

Default Fibre DR Helmets in Europe

Dean,
The Canadian Army Overseas bought a lot of "pulp" ie fibre DR helmets of various types in the UK between 1940 and 1942, but they were supposed to be replaced by the steel variety after 3 June 1943. This took a while to implement as steel DR helmets were initially in short supply and were not very popular with Canadian troops, who found them heavy, uncomfortable and possibly dangerous. In January 1944 Canadian troops were allowed to use their pulp helmets until they were worn out, at which time they were to be replaced by the steel variety. So yes their use in Europe cannot be ruled out.

There were also some types of fibre DR helmets that never made it overseas, these include a low-crowned version made by Spalding in 1942 and a taller version made by Backstay Standard (stamped BS on the sweat band) in 1944 and 1945.

You can see pictures of the various types either in my book "Tin Lids" or Clive Law's "The Canadian Military Motorcycle", both available from Service Publications
Roger Lucy
Old 15-04-12, 21:48
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean (Ajax) View Post
I have a question about Fibre DR lids...I just bought 2..both were painted white...the "taller" one has some of the "White" missing and I can see it was Green underneath..dated 1943..the interesting one is very "short"..on one side is painted a red square with a yellow Maple Leaf..and on the other side is square...top right is very dark blue..the lower left side is yellow..and the number 21 is overlaid on it...any ideas?
Were these used in Europe?

Wish I knew about this sort of thing...I bought these with a load of WW1 Canadian and German bits as well as several WW2 Canadian Officers shirts and other items...some I will keep some I will sell...but I now think some may be WW1...need to do more research

Dean
Red square with yellow maple leaf represents the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. It is a formation sign.

The diagonal blue/yellow typically represents the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, post war. This is a unit sign.

The 21 represents an individual unit as part of that unit sign.

I could find no reference to the 21 being part of any RCASC unit, however, since this is post war, it could very well have represented a unit such as 5 Column RCASC based in University Armouries at this time.

HTH
Old 15-04-12, 23:07

Thanks Guys....it is the Spalding Type Lid...size 7.
Really kinda cool...think I will keep this one.

Dean