MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 19-12-06, 04:05

Default Malta(?) Carrier

Gents:

I found this photo in the latest issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling in an article about the Wellington bomber. It shows a carrier being used as a "tug" pulling bomb "trolleys" towards a Wellington Mk II (Merlin engined). There are no credits to the photo or an explanation with regard to time or location. I'm guessing, based on the camouflage and the plate on the right front of the carrier showing the George/Malta Cross that this would have been on Malta. Any further info or guesses.

Al Davis

Old 19-12-06, 12:22
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: carrier

Quote:
Originally posted by alvin5182
I'm guessing, based on the camouflage and the plate on the right front of the carrier showing the George/Malta Cross that this would have been on Malta. Any further info or guesses.
Hi Al;

The Formation Sign is that of the Malta Infantry Brigade (later 231st Infantry Brigade) and I would say that the photo was taken on Malta.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
malta2a.jpg  
Old 19-12-06, 14:17

Default Karrier?

Hi,
is that a Karrier FAT in the background (under the port wing)?
Cheers,
Dave
Old 19-12-06, 20:19

The photo was indeed taken on Malta. That particular camouflage was peculiar to the Island, and probably not used anywhere else.

The Formation Sign is a bit problematic! The informatiom I have ( rather incomplete, I'm afraid ) gives a white eight-pointed cross on a red background for the 231st Infantry Brigade.

The Artillery on the other hand had the arms of the cross divided each into two colours; red - blue for field artillery, yellow - blue for anti-aircraft artillery, and red - white for coast artillery regiments.

The sign pictured seems to be for a field artillery regiment, but were the RA issued with carriers?

It's true that things were pretty desperate here, and they had to make do with whatever was available! For example, Matilda tanks were pressed into service on the main airfield to keep the runway open by unceremoniously dragging any crashed aircraft out of the way.

Incidentally the eight-pointed cross is the hallmark of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, more commonly known as the Knights of Malta, and is still used today by the St. John's Ambulance Association.