MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 07-05-09, 06:08
Harold

Default Hasty-P Carriers

Here are a couple nice pics of Hasty-P carriers. Especially love the caption of the second one. Our unit nick-name was The Plough Jockies

Old 07-05-09, 15:39
Richard Harrison

am i trying to see things here, but can anyone else see the waterproofing still around the rivet heads on the first carrier.....that means they may have landed at the same beach as my grandad at Salerno

happy days

Rich

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 07-05-09, 16:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
am i trying to see things here, but can anyone else see the waterproofing still around the rivet heads on the first carrier.....that means they may have landed at the same beach as my grandad at Salerno

happy days

Rich
Rich,

I don't have the specific history of "Katie" (although it's a very famous photo), but I can tell you that the Hasty Pees first landed in Sicily then moved to Italy through Messina... the Regiment was not directly involved in Salerno per se. However, at that time the 1st Canadian Infantry Division was attached to the British 8th Army, so that carrier may have been from replacement stocks. Perhaps someone here with closer ties to the Regiment can give us more information? I certainly don't know enough about carriers to determine even whether "Katie" is of British or Canadian manufacture, only that it appears well-used by the time that photo was taken...
Old 07-05-09, 18:29
Harold

I was a member of the Hasty_P's from 1974-1979. As far as I know from unit history no carriers were used in the landing on Sicily. They did use them after the landing and in Italy. Farley Mowat does mention them useing carriers but not where they got them from. The unit has a restored carrier at the unit with A Company in Belleville, Ontario. It has the name KATIE on the side. Here is a picture of the carrier
Old 07-05-09, 18:33
GM Fox I

Default Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Rich,

I don't have the specific history of "Katie" (although it's a very famous photo), but I can tell you that the Hasty Pees first landed in Sicily then moved to Italy through Messina... the Regiment was not directly involved in Salerno per se. However, at that time the 1st Canadian Infantry Division was attached to the British 8th Army, so that carrier may have been from replacement stocks. Perhaps someone here with closer ties to the Regiment can give us more information? I certainly don't know enough about carriers to determine even whether "Katie" is of British or Canadian manufacture, only that it appears well-used by the time that photo was taken...
Katie is a Canadian Mk.1*. I think it's dust rather than waterproofing on the rivets(?). (Oh, and Geoff, isn't that Ted Dente driving?). The Hasty Pee's Regimental Association bought a running carrier many years ago and keep (kept?) it in their armouries in Belleville. Cadets (the dirty little buggers) kept throwing garbage and pop cans into it.
Old 07-05-09, 20:03
Richard Harrison

was that carrier not the one restored by Don Barrie (Thunder Bay) then donated to the group ? i know he has done a few and donated them to causes around Canada. i have a picture of this carrier in convoy (from him) so i presume it is the one he did.

Rich

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 07-05-09, 20:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Katie is a Canadian Mk.1*. I think it's dust rather than waterproofing on the rivets(?). (Oh, and Geoff, isn't that Ted Dente driving?).
Naw, that wasn't Dentay, Bruce... remember the pic below? That's Brett Jacobsen, Ted Dentay and Fred Ciraco identified - do you have names for the rest?
Attached Thumbnails
vickerscarrier.gif  
Old 07-05-09, 23:33
Harold

In the restored carrier one of the men wearing the red berets looks alot like my old RSM Bill Vallance
Old 08-05-09, 00:32
British Indian Army

Default What I like

What I love about the top photo of Katie is how her name has been painted parallel to the ground when the carrier was obviously well laden! Brilliant signwriting!!!

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 08-05-09, 04:11
GM Fox I

Default No, not Don Barrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
was that carrier not the one restored by Don Barrie (Thunder Bay) then donated to the group ? i know he has done a few and donated them to causes around Canada. i have a picture of this carrier in convoy (from him) so i presume it is the one he did.

Rich
The carrier was one of the ones at the Elliot Brothers yard in Newtonville, near Port Hope, Ontario. It was the Elliots themselves that got it running for the Regiment. I once did a parade with the Hasty Pee's through Picton, Ontario with my carrier alongside Katie.