MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 22-03-03, 04:11
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default M37 Korea markings

My M37 is approaching the point of "finished" and I'm starting to think about vehicle markings to place on her. As I've painted it in the 1950's semi-gloss green, I would like to place Korean era Cdn
markings to reflect one of our fine units who served there. What do I need, any suggestions? I know that some vehicles carried the Canada shield, some Commonwealth shield, both, either etc. If someone could educate me I'd appreciate it.
Old 22-03-03, 05:42
Chev44

Default We didn't use them in Korea. n/t

Old 24-03-03, 17:45
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default M37 in Korea

My father was with the Canadian Provost Corp in Korea in 1953 to 1954. The vehicle that he used was suppied by the US Army. The trucks had USA registration numbers with CDN replacing the USA. I've attached a photo of my Dad and the truck he drove. Pintail Bridge at Injim River.
Old 25-03-03, 01:12
Chev44

Default I should have been more specific.....

Thanks Al.

What I should have said was that my survey of the Korea DND photos in the archives indicates we may not have gotten them while the "war" was on, as M38's, M211 2 1/2 tons etc and M37's seem only to be evident in shots of late 53/ early 54.

I should have another look to see what I can find in those files.

Don
Old 26-03-03, 04:11
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default what about at home?

Thanks for the clarification on our use (not) of Canadian M37 in Korean conflict. What can you guys tell me about markings used right here at home in the 1950's?
Old 05-04-03, 20:00

Default Markings - 1950s in Canada

In my collection I have copies or originals of the various Canadian Army vehicle markings manuals 1940 - present (still seeking RCAF and RCN vehicle markings info; and UN all types and Gulf War 1991).

Ref: Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Precis "Vehicle Markings - Canada" January 1952 (precis of Vehicle Markings Canada 1947 - which I am also seeking)

(a) Formation sign
(b) Unit sign
(c) Bridge classification sign
(d) Warning sing (right hand drive)
(e) Licence plate and DND number.

(a) Formation sign - Usually 1 Canadian Division (gold WWII pattern -- NOT modern version - maple leaf on red rectangle or a command sign e.g. Western Command, or Army HQ (AHQ) or Mobile Strike Force (QUESTION - WHAT DID THIS ONE LOOK LIKE?) Right front and right rear. On M37CDN - uually on hood, near front edge, and on tailgate.

(b) Unit sign - coloured rectangle 9-1/2" x 8-1/2' high or a coloured circle 8" diameter. (on jeeps 7x5 or circle 6"); on M/C 7x5 & 6" or 6" circle). Abbreviated title of unit in 1-1/2" high black letters on a 2" white bar above coloured rectangle. Left front and left rear. On M37CDN - uually on hood, near front edge, and on tailgate.

(c) Yellow circle 5" diameter usually with black weight class number. Painted 12" in from right side on front bumper. M-37CDN were class 4.

(d) RHD - N/A to M37/M37CDN

(e) Licence plate was a provincial one. Often with a special military series e.g. BC used N prefix and Ontario used F at end. The DND vehicle number, later called CAR (and later still CFR) number was stamped into the top of the left frame rail just behind the front bumper e.g. 54-31234 and also painted in white on both doors of the M37CDN (until camo paint jobs came along c. 1970) at which time last five numbers of CFR became the number on the new DND licence plates. DND/CAR/CFR numnbers on sides of vehicle were 2" high and 1/4" thick. Sans serif.

Tire Pressure Signs - Not detailed in precis. Do NOT repeat NOT use the US style "TP-40" !!!!!!!!!!!! (unless you are doing a vehicle in US markings). Just leave it off, it is simpler. If you feel you MUST have it, then use e.g.
F - 40
R - 40
(verify tire pressure with your manual). in WHITE, stencilled about 1/2" to 1" high on dash or elsewhere inside cab.