MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-03, 03:22

Default Gas tank sealer

Does anyone know the trade name & the manufacturers name of the sealant that is put into gas tanks to seal up the rust and fill the pin holes caused by old gasoline ?
I'm looking for the self application method as
the local commercial place that used to do this stopped as most people just bought a new tank for their car .Rather difficult to do with two gas tanks for a sixty year old carrier .
Thanks in advance .
Old 01-06-03, 04:07
RIP

Default gas tank sealer

I have a can of sealer made by Bill Hirsch of Newark,New Jersey Phone 973 642 2404. I bought this years ago but have never used it.Co. is still in business apparently-I got above phone no. from the net.I have 2 good tanks for my carrier but dont use them. I use a 2 gallon plastic marine portable with guage and Quick disconnect and am thus able to keep my fuel fresh--Could use the original tanks for show..Greg
Old 01-06-03, 23:14

A popular brand of do-it-yourself tank sealer is POR 15. Type that into goggle and you'll find their webpage including 'phone numbers. There is an outlet in Ontario I believe; they will tell you. Basically it's sold as a kit, metal cleaner, metal prep and sealant.

Denis
Old 26-01-16, 19:59

Default Gas tank sealer

If you have an external leak Seal All in a tube will stop a leak 100% we used it on gas lines great stuff
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 26-01-16, 21:46
carrier mech

A 12 year old thread revived....almost a record.I think the term is necrothread....back from the dead.
Old 27-01-16, 01:54

Default gas tank sealer

I have had very good luck with a product called Red Kote. It is a one step process. If you PM me I'll send you a copy of the invoice for my last purchase.
Old 27-01-16, 05:08
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
A 12 year old thread revived....almost a record.I think the term is necrothread....back from the dead.
Did the internet exist 12 years ago?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 27-01-16, 05:21

Default Used both Hirsch and POR.....

Did a weeping gas tank from an Allis Chalmers tractor over 10 years ago.... it was full of pinhole..... tractor still runs and tank has yet to leak.....

Now using POR kits...... multi step but sure seals with a very hard inside coating....only time will tell if it will outlast the early Hirsch coating.

One trick to remember is to make sure the tank is clean of any varnish deposit.... we had tanks with almost 3/4 of solid tar like solid deposit. We foudn that the strongest automotive paint thinner works best...... automotive paint stores will also sell "paint gun cleaner" which is recycled paint thinner distilled from old paint shop gunwash solution. It usually contains a witches brew of MEK, Tuolene, Xylene, acetone and a dash of KiKapoo joy juice....stinks like hell but disolves varnish deposit in 24 hours. Left over best disposed in a deep hole or burned in a trash barrel.

Proceed with the multi step, acid, neutralizing agent.... and stop short of the final coating.

Once dried you can proceed to find potential pin holes.... best done in a very dark room with a 12 volt bulb inserted in the tank....... you will be amazed at all the stars-pin holes you can find. Enlarge the pin hole slightly with dental pick....dimple with a small ball peen hammer and lead solder the dimples and grind flush. Once the coating is done inside you have a good leak proof tank.

Cheers
Canada