MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-04-12, 00:08

Default Latest CMV Mag has a roundup on the M113

Have just recd the latest copy of CMV and it has a roundup about the M113 in service with various nations, including Australia.

Now, I know my knowledge is limited, and we all can (and do) make mistakes, but oh dear: so many, many gafs in the Australian section, and it is not like the right information is not readily available.

Trouble is two fold: firstly, now readers will believe what is written, and secondly, how can I trust what is written elsewhere in the mag?

Oh well.......

Mike C
Old 24-04-12, 01:32

Default Find better information and send it to them.

Hi Mike

Know the feeling, see something in a publication that you know is wrong or incomplete, what do you do? How I judge historical or informational sites or publications is how do they take information corrections. If they print corrections in the next issue then their is hope for them. If you can do them the favor of collecting the additional or supplemental information to help them correct the miss impression great. Yes, I am phrasing it so that they can correct them selves.

We have all seen books and articles that have photos miss identified and it drives me crazy. But there is little you can do. All to often it these errors get carried forward from publication to publication. One of my favorites is a photo of a "jeep" over turned in the surf during the US landings in North African problem it is clearly a Dodge. I happened to find the source photo in the US Archives in Washington and the photo was miss labeled or generically labeled talk to one of the curators about it and there was "0" interest in correction or even adding a note.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-04-12, 11:02
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Trouble is two fold: firstly, now readers will believe what is written, and secondly, how can I trust what is written elsewhere in the mag?
Exactly the same problem I have with both "leading" HMV magazines. Even though Wheels & Tracks wasn't faultless, at least facts were rectified in later editions if needed.

I like forums like this much better than "static" printed paper. This medium allows other researches to participate, readers to give their input, and hence make it much more lively and accurate.

H.
Old 29-04-12, 13:07
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Cmv

CMV did a feature article on the Morris 8 cwt PU many years ago. It was so full of errors and bady researched , I emailed them and told them so The author began by writing something like , "these are common vehicles" at MV shows . Then a whole lot of cr*p followed .

mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 29-04-12, 18:58

Well, it unfortunately doesn't stop at printed media either: a recently posted article about the Australian M113A1 FSV tells us the first M113A1's arrived in Australia in 1964 (it was 1965: a date that has been published several times in various places, so it is hardly an unknown) and that the second batch of FSVs arrived in SVN in 'July/August'.

Oh well.....

Mike C