MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-08, 01:18

Default blitz windscreen surrounds: building from scratch

Has anyone out there either built the windscreen surrounds from scratch or had them out sourced for construction? Or, alternatively, does anyone have the plans for this?

Given that many blitz's have badly rusted windscreen surrounds or cabs that are totally lacking in this area, this info would be most useful.
Old 09-03-08, 03:24
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Windscreen frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by james walker View Post
Has anyone out there either built the windscreen surrounds from scratch or had them out sourced for construction? Or, alternatively, does anyone have the plans for this?

Given that many blitz's have badly rusted windscreen surrounds or cabs that are totally lacking in this area, this info would be most useful.
I'm assuming you're referring to Chev (Holden) frames which deteriorate far more rapidly than Fords - there used to be (not sure whether still available) a similar but slightly smaller profile available in brass

As for the totally lacking in your area you could substitute "World" for your area as these are one of the more vulnerable things, although to a slightly lesser extent in Fords and Canadian built Chevs.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 09-03-08, 09:01

Yes, thats a good point. Global lack of windscreen surrounds!

I wonder how hard they would be to fabricate?

The brass ones sound interesting, do you have any details on that? Or any ideas on original plans or dimensions?

cheers

james
Old 09-03-08, 09:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Here's one

Quote:
The brass ones sound interesting, do you have any details on that? Or any ideas on original plans or dimensions?
This is one on a Ford I saw back in 2001 at Philip Island.
I don't have any details on where you'd find the profile.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 09-03-08, 10:24

Wink windscreen surrounds

James do you have any old rusty surrounds that you could use for a template for the angles?.
I made some up using the original top hinges to work with(i dont know how you would make those hinges though)
1) fold a U shape to fit glass and gasket thickness
2)fold two flat sections with a small fold each@ 90deg( copy from old frame)
3)the tricky bit!you need a half round bit to hold the weather shield in the slot
so you end up with a U with two L shaped bits inverted to each other, fitted to the top edge of the U( the edge against the glass) and the half round fitted inside between the two inverted L shaped bits to hold the rubber in place,check on glass thickness in regard to size of U section.
in nz you cant get the glass the same thickness as original canadian glass.
I didnt have any frames in my truck and made them from scratch ,although i was going to glue the rubber in place,the half round idea came later.then i got some original screen frames in very good order.
Any way thats what i done,other people here may be able to build on what i did and come up with some answers to retaining the rubber shield
Old 09-03-08, 11:26

James,
Hope these pics maybe of some help. The profile is a bugger to replicate. The two rolled outers are the same, the smaller "V" for the sealing rubber, the "U" for the glass (with a rubber "U" available at auto glass places to seal the glass). These four parts were TIG welded together. The square hole in the centre is to fit a 5/8 x 3/8 piece of steel key, which is used as the joiner for the two completed halves, so you can fit the glass then slide the frames together.
I am too embarrased to say how many hours I spent getting this far, and had just about completed the basic lengths when I dcided that some old ones I came across would get me on the road this year and I put the job on hold. Then of course you have the Hinge along the top (these are usually saveable), the side pivots for the arms, and here in Aus. at least the extra pivots for the handles on the bottom.
This is an intricate job, and when someone sorts out a quick way of doing it, they will make a fortune, unfortunatley it will not be me! Good Luck !!
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
ws1.jpg   ws2.jpg   ws3.jpg   ws4.jpg  
Old 09-03-08, 18:49

Default Short Answer Yes, made windshield frame from scratch

Hi James

As the heading goes short answer yes I've made up an entire windscreen frame for my Pattern 12.

I'll post the pictures of how on my website, but the critical issue was finding the stock for the sides, top and hinge the answer to that was I used all M37 frame as these I could find NOS and they are reasonably dimensional similar to CMP.

Will respond again once I get the pictures up on my web page
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-03-08, 23:28

Default How I made up new Pat 12 Windscreen

OK- Finally have my editing software talking to my website host once again so here is a link to making up a new windscreen for my Pattern 12 Chevy, basically the same for Pattern 13 frames. Hope that it helps.

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...Windscreen.htm

I've got some more pictures to add hope to get those taken and posted later this week.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 10-03-08 at 23:30. Reason: additional info
Old 11-03-08, 03:05

Hi Phil,

thanks so much for info. Will get back to you again when Ive had a chance to check it out.

James
Old 12-03-08, 03:54

Default Have you considered publishing the content of your web site....

Phil to the rescue again...... with dimensions, tools, jigs and tips.....

You should be charging admission.....

Now that I see how you did it..... it makes me wonder if I would not be wasting my time trying to repair my frame which is very religious...... scroungin' M37 frames may be cheaper than all rthe epoxy I would need to repair mine..... beside my cab 11 windscreen does not have to open.... it a basically an open and shut case.......

Other possibility is to salvage enough channel from my spare windscreen using the upper portion.

It seems that all the old windscreen frame had the same tendency to collect water...... try finding a good un rusted 1947 - 56 Dodge power wagon windscreen frame...... and when you do... look for 3 to $400 US dollaroos...

Thanks Phil for the ongoing free consulting advice...

Bob
Canada
Old 12-03-08, 12:33

Hi Phil,

what priceless information! I must say that the members of this forum really share info that would be impossible to gather so quickly any other way. Its most appreciated.

When you approached the steel shop to enquire about how much the sections cost to fabricate, ie with the retooling needed, what did they quote? I'm thinking that the price for 200 feet would be interesting as it would appear that sections could be on sold to other members of this forum to recover costs.

Oh, and by the way, your restoration of the monkey face looks superb.

cheers

james
Old 07-10-09, 08:54
Lionel G. Evans

Default Found on MLU Information about building WIndscreen Frames

Quote:

Hello All,

I just did a search on MLU - a new experience... and found this old thread. It also has a link to a website which follows the process step by step

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...Windscreen.htm The site is run by Phil Waterman - Kudos to you Phil.

Looks like I might be following that site and adapting for my REO’s windscreen frames. Also some good other detailed photos about similar ventures are posted by other members.

What a great treasure MLU forum is.

Kind Regards
Lionel