MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-16, 21:53
Mr. HUP

Default 2016 at the Hammond Barn

What a difference a week makes. We now have about a foot of snow on the ground and the temperatures have returned to about normal levels. While there was not too much reported on the barn activities in 2015, we hope to report on our new adventures and challenges in 2016.

I spent a few hours this afternoon cleaning off shelters, digging out doorways and some general CMP chores. Bob and Grant were taking it easy at home supposedly enjoying the warm fire and cold beer. I think that I (and you all) should do the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNY 16.jpg (65.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg hyn216.jpg (60.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-01-16, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
What a difference a week makes.
As Rob said, a week ago it was record warm temperatures on Christmas Eve, without a speck of snow in sight. Then on the 29th record snowfall for the day. Definitely odd weather. Happy New Year to all.
Old 02-01-16, 02:13

Happy New Years to you and the Hammond crew.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-01-16, 23:56
Mr. HUP

Default Beaver Update

Bob, Have you had a chance to visit the dams lately? Let me know if this guy shows up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rbs.jpg (84.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-01-16, 03:14

Default Well if he does....

He better be wearing beaver fur coat as it is cold out there.

May take a brisk walk over tomorrow when the temp. goes up to a balmy -2 C

Cheers

PS Rain foreecast for next weekend will most likely flow and freeze over the existing ice making walking on the stream very dangerous and very difficult for Mr Beaver.... as the water goes down air pockets will form than collapse with wet snow making it almost impossible for the furry little creature to get around....
Canada
Old 06-01-16, 15:30
MLU Administrator

While doing a bit of database cleaning here at MLU I noted 2015 was the tenth installment of the "at the Hammond Barn" threads

Looking forward to 2016 as the 11th consecutive year of the activities of the Hammond Barn Crew.

Thanks guys!

Hanno
Old 01-08-16, 13:39

You may have noticed a lack of information on what Bob's been up to lately with his C15A. He's lifted the publication ban so I'm going to give an outline and hope he'll fill in the detail.
Bob had been making progress in our usual 2 steps forward, one step back fashion. He decided he wanted the truck on the road by the end of June so a bit of a push was started.
Wired the truck using a harness made several years ago by Phil Waterman. The wiring went fairly well. Lay out the harness, look at the labels, confirm we understood the colour codes for the wires., figure out the routing (there's really only one way it could go to let the wires branch out of the harness at the respective components), make frame brackets (rather than mounting the rear lamps to the body), decide on front signals etc.
Fuel tanks were completed. add senders, make gaskets for the tank covers, drill and tap for oversize cover screws because without them all the gasket leaks, make copper (rather than lead) washers to help seal at the cap retainer chain connection to the tank. Plumb the tanks to the selector valve, make yet another set of cap gaskets (originals were in a sorry state) as the neoprene used for the first replacement swelled and disintegrated in contact with gas, fell into the tank so the tank had to be removed for cleanout, similarly for the tank cover gaskets as well.
Make minor adjustments to the doors and make new inner skins as the originals had suffered from rust.
The cargo box is an anachronism but we just didn't have time to fabricate a 2B1 box to match the truck. Later. Bob has the remnants of a couple of 2B1 boxes that may provide a usable floor structure but the sides and tailgate will need to be built. We've been learning about the needed processes while working on my 15 Cwt trailer (more on that in a separate post later). The box was NOT done to perfection. Wheel wells were left inverted/deleted. The worst of the damage to the side walls was adjusted and paint applied (also more for reasonable appearance rather than perfect appearance). Mud flaps were fabricated (only the metal portion as we aren't sure we will be able to transfer them to the 2B1 once it is made). Fabricate Tac sign holder at rear (Bob had NOS for the front, I have original rear to copy from).
Search for ownership papers, data plates, license plates (1940 - bought at flea market and previously submitted for approval for use).
Get the truck weighed.
Submit truck for safety check. Passed on first go. Bob started smiling.
Arrange insurance.
Visit the licensing office, pay fees and walk out with updated paperwork allowing the truck on the road.
Start driving increasing distances for shakedown.
Work to resolve shimmy. Change the front tires from side to side - no change, adjust toe in, check the tightness of all steering joints then switch tires back to front and it seems much diminished.
Attend local cruise night. It was the only green truck there and got more attention by not being all shiny chrome.
You may have wondered why there was a gap of a month between getting the truck on the road at the end of June and this post. That was because fairly early in the push we said " wouldn't it be fun to see Phil's face if we just showed up at his club's annual show at Weare (New Hampshire) to add another CMP to his fleet on display. This weekend we loaded Bob's truck on the trailer and enjoyed the rally, took Bob's truck on one of the trail rides, all worked as it should. Why didn't we drive the CMP to the rally? It's 8 hours in the modern truck and we aren't tough enough (no roof on the cab yet and it rained for part of the trip) to do that distance in the CMP and didn't want to spend 2 or 3 days each way on the trip. There were only a few raised eyebrows at the border from the Customs folks.
First photos of the truck loaded for travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weare transport 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg weare transport 2.jpg (105.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg werare transport 3.jpg (93.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 01-08-16 at 13:51.
Old 01-08-16, 13:42

And a few of photos of Bob's C15A with Phil's fleet at the rally. I'm sorry nobody had a camera ready to capture the look of surprise and glee on Phil's face as the CMP pulled up behind him and honked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weare rally 1.jpg (66.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Weare rally 2.jpg (77.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Weare rally 3.jpg (62.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Weare rally 4.jpg (208.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Weare rally 5.jpg (201.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 01-08-16 at 13:49.
Old 01-08-16, 13:46

And a few more.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weare rally 7a.jpg (241.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Weare rally 6a.jpg (223.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-08-16, 13:55

And suddenly it's a truck! Well done guys! Great plan ato get it done for the evenet.....and I think all will agree that a deadline certainly helps sometimes.

Alex
Old 01-08-16, 14:06

Default Congratulations to thhe Hammond Restoration Barn

Congratulations to Bob and the crew at the Hammond Barn on getting the C15A plated and on the road. I hope to be able to see this at the big event in Kingston (Oedessa) this August.

Perhaps you can also come to Canada Day 2017 in Merrickville?

With the C15A now on the road, will the other vehicles in the assembly line at the Hammond Restoration Barn appear soon?

Job well done!

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 01-08-16, 14:35

Default Boy was I surprised

Hi Bob & Grant

What a surprise that Bob should keep the progress on the truck undercover just to surprise me, I consider a singular honor.

Of course Grant was in on it as he and I had been emailing back and forth about over last month about me ordering some parts for him to save the hassle US company not shipping to Canada. Grant even had asked if there was anything they could bring down. Little did I know.

I've got some GoPro video of Bob & Grant on trail ride at the Rally, which edit and post soon.

Thanks Bob

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-01-17, 14:34

Default Looking forward to first post "2017 at the Hammond Barn"

Hi Guys

Did I miss it? Have you started the very interesting series of progress and activity reports at the Hammond Barn?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-01-17, 18:22

Default Not Yet.....

.....but will do this week......

A stitch in time saves nine.......

Cheers from freezing Hammond............

.....was -25 C this morning so passed on the barn to day to wokr inside with the wife.....earning house miles...

Bob C
Canada