MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-12, 15:12

Default Finally getting around to working on my CGT

My friends have been beating me up about letting it sit, so my winter time project begins. I have been gathering up information, and parts. But now it time to ask for advice, I know the CGT has a low set of gears(7:13) -so what does that translate to on the road with its 216, 60k -70k? I'd like to get more speed out of it at least a comfortable 80k, I found a 261 -and I'd like to swap out the gears for set from a longer wheelbase truck which apparently had a higher set 6:13ish, or swap out my axles with another set before I dump money into these ones -thoughts?
Old 04-10-12, 16:41

Default How about a picture of the beast as is.....

That project should keep you warm for the Winter.

Speed in a CMP is a bit of a problem...... designed like a brick it was not meant to go fast but to be overloaded, abused and survive rough roads.

Normal confortable speed is 35 to 45 on good paved roads with a 216.

The smaller CMPs had sixteen inch tires and could afford to use a higher gear... in the larger trucks like the CGT.... to make up for waht was lost on the 20 inch tires they lowered the axle gear to almost match the other vehicles speed.

A 261 will give you about 50% improvement on HP and torque and according to Phil Waterman will cruise at 50 mph and hold it's speed on mild hills.

I would not go through the trouble of changing the axle gear clusters unless you intend to commute on the 401.

Keep in mind that with more speed you will need more brakes.... your overall weight will not change...... lots of mass to stop in a panic. CMP brakes are good if properly set up and adjusted regularly..... but they are 1937-39 technology...... a brake booster can be installed.... you might even find a NOS one....... but the basic mechanics of the brakes system will not change and the stopping maybe easier on your leg but not much shorter distances.

OH.... don't forget when you install the 261 you will need to replace the stock water pump with an A-dapter plate and a rebuilt 216 water pump. Otherwise you fan will be to low on the center of the rad and the fan will be touching the radiator. Easy job to do before the engine is installed.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your truck.

Good luck

Bob C.

Ah ah ....found the pictures on a previous threads..... sounds like you are on the right track.

Moderator..... should this be merged with Stony's previous thread...?
Canada
Old 04-10-12, 17:38

Default thanks

Excellent information! Thanks. 50mph sounds fast enough in something so top heavy. The 261 came at a good deal so I had to scoop it. And my axles are in good shape -didn't really want to have to take the gears out anyway! the CGT already has the power brake booster, but I might switch it out for something a bit more modern(Dual reservoir), as I plan on putting some miles on it next summer.

Everything on this truck is heavy -I needed to build an A frame with a chain hoist just to lift it apart

-Anyone have a front bumper and a front driveshaft for sale?

-Anyone want a 216 "solid" as a rock!
Old 04-10-12, 19:04

Most CMP front bumpers were a standard "C" channel, these sections are still available. It is a fairly simple exercise in layout and drilling to reproduce if you have even a beat up one to work from.
Without going into the parts books I'm not sure but think that almost all front driveshafts (at least Chev to Chev) have to be very close to the same length because of the relationship of engine/transmission/transfer case/axle. A possible exception is the 270 CID engined variants since the 270 is longer than the 216. (But the C60X has the radiator and grille mounted further forward than the C15-C60 so the transmission output might be at a similar point along with the transfer case.)
More to follow once I can check the books.

Parts list 197 dated August 1942 gives the same part number as fitting C15A to C60 and CGT for the front propellor shaft.

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 05-10-12 at 00:43. Reason: added content
Old 05-10-12, 00:00
3RD ECHELON WKSP

My first CMP, a 12cab Ford, would top out at about 65mph. That was with a tweaked flatty, headed downill. Trust me, at that speed, a CMP truck is almost at the point of terrifying to drive. I certainly never wanted to have to stop suddenly under this condition. A leisurely drive in an old army truck with people PO'd at you for holding back traffic is all part of the fun!

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 05-10-12, 00:24

Default CGT and 261

My CGT is set up i.e. 261 with 11.00 X 20 NDT's. Top speed at @3000 RPM is 50-55 mph or 85-90 km and confirmed by my GPS stuck to the window. The only mods done to the engine were the 216 the "off set" water pump plate set up and a 50's vintage stock split exhaust manifold giving a dual exhaust into a single Ford muffler with a single outlet. Also added an oil cooler across the front frame rail just ahead of the engine.

For fuel issues I ran an 12 volt electric fuel pump to minimize the vapour lock stalls on very hot days 27C-35C. Parades especially.

The truck is also all on 12 volts so I can run conventional accessories on it especially usefull on long trips. I use an original 6 volt starter, but it doesn't seem to mind.

Western Command did a convoy on the Alaska highway this summer. The CGT is a little hard on fuel so I trailered it on the long stretches between displays, by the time we were done it was 6400 km ( F350) return to Vancouver, 1800 km's with the CGT. Attached are a couple pics from Fort Saint John from this August. You have a great vehicle, it gets a lot of attention!

Walde
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7694229290_8cf02dc979_k.jpg (66.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 7694220010_7ff2d58382_k.jpg (100.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-10-12, 11:38

Default so the front bumper then

Can someone measure one up for me please (Material thickness, height, length) also the width of the vertical overriders, and the diameter of the bar on the top. I should be able to scale the locations from pics, maybe I'll find the tow hooks over time. -Murphy will drop a complete bumper in my lap the moment I finish this one though.

With all the info coming back about the speeds and driving your own vehicles -it's giving me more enthusiasm to hurry up and drive mine -I thought for sure it was going to be a dog -having the word "Tractor" in the name doesn't make it sound fast

What was the colour green you used Walde -I see some are painted a dark green, seems mine was a lighter green similar to yours -found the colour under 60yrs of dirt

Thanks guys for you help and advice