MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-09, 05:29

Default Hinterland Who's Who- The Ottawa Valley CMP

Hi,

During my time off work i have been running the roads a little more in search of rusty truck parts. In my travels around the ottawa area i have spotted a few 3-Ton trucks that may be of interest.

The F60l with the headache rack is at about 45°32'53.94"N 76°58'1.78"W. This truck was last used for hay in the 1960's and is still fitted with most of its box and original tailgate. The box sides are still on the farm and are piled near the barn where they were deposited by the farmer in the late 1940's. The gentleman that owns the truck purchased it in 1946 at a large surplus auction that was held at RCAF Trenton and drove it to the farm on the Rice Line Road where it still sits. The truck is marked to "A19 RCASCTC" (Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Training Centre), which was located at Camp Borden, so it seems to have had a few miles put on it while in service. In addition to the unit markings on the doors the truck is marked with "S" and "64-613". All of the data plates are missing but it was interesting that the inside of the passenger door was stenciled with the tire pressures.

The yellow C60l has seen better days but still has quite a few parts on, in and around it. This truck had no manufacturers data plate but the back of the cab was fitted with a data plate for some sort of large equipment. Unfortunatly the image came out too blurry to read and i can't remember what was written on it.

The Green C60l is a very original truck exept for the massive plough harness and associated hydrolic fittings. The dump box was just being stored on it and was not fitted to it. The truck was still in its 1950's military paint with Sigs markings on the cowl. Notice this truck still has a roof hatch!

The data plates on the green truck read:

C60L
PR3975081
LV 2597
APR 25-44

The two Chev's are owned by the same scrap dealer and can be found at about 45°27'55.72"N 77°19'10.70"W on the corner of the 512 and Lake Clear Road.

It is interseting that this is the second C60L that retains 1950's paint and Sigs markings that can be found in a scrapyard in the Ottawa area. The other example sits in a scrapyard in Jasper, Ontario along with with another absolutley demolished C60L that is still fitted with a derrick and winch.

The Jasper trucks are in "downtown" Jasper behind the gas station on the 17 to Smiths Falls.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F60l.JPG (37.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg F60l 2.JPG (38.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg C60l late.JPG (103.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg C60l Late 2.JPG (112.9 KB, 123 views)