MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-15, 12:06
Rick Cove

Default Restoration of Canadian Scout Car Ford Lynx I, Mk.III No.1726

I have been meaning to start this thread for 2 years as the Corowa Swim-In 2014 was "The year of the Ford and WWI". I had the choice of either an LP2A Bren Gun Carrier (No.2250) or this Canadian Scout car Ford Lynx I. Mk.III No. 1726 ARN. 123980 to rebuild and display. The Lynx won out as I thought it would be more useable on the road.

.For about 38 years I have been collecting parts to restore one of the 170 (or is it 171?) Canadian Ford Lynx.I. Mk.III Scout Cars supplied during WWII to Australia. My father drove one during WWII and often spoke of the "Golf-Ball” or “Doodle-Bug" as they were colloquially known in OZ. We have one photo of him sitting on the left front mudguard of one. So that is where the interest comes from.

Australia received 170 Lynx’s from Canada (some sources say 171), and they were used with the 1st Armoured Corps. In 1946, 109 were sent to Japan to be used as Policing vehicles as it was found that the Japanese roads could not carry the weight of the Staghounds sent for the job. These 109 Lynx’s were eventually returned to Australia and then disposed of during the 1950’s

I discovered the cut down chassis and hull of No.1726 at Benambra Victoria, then owned by one Charlie McCallum.

American Day Flemington 002.jpg

Charlie purchased it from Disposals around 1956/7 and took it to his farm at Benambra to use as a paddock bomb. Unfortunately for Charlie, but fortunate for me, was that the Ford Lynx had an Achilles heel, it was very hard on rear diffs. In fact there is an instruction plate with the following direction right next to the driver’s right ear.

-CAUTION -

“THIS VEHICLE MUST ALWAYS WITH FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ENGAGED WHEN CONDITIONS ARE SUCH THAT FULL OR NEAR FULL THROTTLE IS USED IN REVERSE FIRST OR SECOND GEAR”

lynx bits 18 07 13.jpg

I guess that Charlie did not take heed of this and promptly blew the rear diff. Unable to find another, the hull was cut up and the engine removed. Fortunately for me, the removed parts were placed in the shed in boxes. Even many small nuts, bolts and washers were first put back together and thrown into a box. The cut off hull parts were used for many purposes around the farm. The complete 1 ¼ inch thick front windscreen/hatch section complete with all hatches and opening levers was oxy cut off about 1958 and placed onto a set of discs for extra weight. This piece was located in 1998 standing up against a fencing corner post about 5 miles from the rest of the vehicle, up on a high country bush block. Apparently it had fallen off the discs and being heavy, was too much trouble to bring back. This was a great find. Many parts were found in a Hawthorn bush thicket. Hawthorn bushes have very sharp long spikes and are not to be reckoned with. The roof rack bars had to be cut through to recover them as the Hawthorn bush trunk had grown up through it.

00006.jpg 00007.jpg

Charlie McCallum would not sell anything, as some of you will know. He had a couple of Dodge Weapons carriers sitting there and a few other things which many had tried to purchase without success. One of those Dodges WC’s had the Lynx lifting rings welded into the rear bumper bar as towing rings.

I tried for many many years to purchase the Lynx from him but to no avail. One day I thought I would try again so armed with the usual slab of VB beer which I would often share with him, I went to Benambra once again. To my surprise Charlie said “Have you got $200.00? I asked what for and he said that I had worn him down and if I gave him $200.00, the Lynx remains were mine. Benambra is about 155km from home and I was back the next day with the money. Finally I was the owner of a Lynx chassis and some fittings.

scan0337.jpg

I will keep the story going so if your interested, hang in there.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.