Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-04-03, 13:56
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Up the Agrylls!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter
The first two photos on this thread, unless my slightly foo eyes deceive me, are of the exceedingly Highland men of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. In fact, the Crimean War photo may be of a soldier of the old 93rd, the most Highland of all Highland regiments.

How did this reeking Sassanach come to admire the Argylls? I have no idea; my Scottish step-granny's father and brothers were KOSB's. In Stirling Castle I stood underneath the colours of the old 93rd carried at the Alma and those carried at New Orleans, and I wept. I even reached up and touched them. The duty sergeant thought I was nuts, but I think I impressed him.

"Who's like us? Damn few, and they're all dead."

Bob

BOB: Hi! I take you to mean the "lone soldier" from the link to be the one maybe from the Crimean War (the most Highland of all Highland regiments,you said)? Those are amazing photos. It's so wonderful tohave the images so we can all see them these days. And I also notice, as I get older, that those times/years, just really ARE NOT so very long ago. Mind boggling.

Those hats...they look heavy and very bulky if they hadto wear them in conflict. I also noticed MEDALS pinned to the photo ofthe three men. I'm curious about what their RANKS would be (My guy, AND the 3 brothers :-)

AND....WHAT MEAN THIS: "KOSB" and "SASSANACH" ?

Also: We have an ARGYLL town back home and many SUTHERLANDS I don't know any of them, but know they were an important HBC bunch... my family all descends from Fur Traders and NAtive women planting and growing seeds in Dear Old Rupert's Land. They begat and begat and begat...many of the begats just never got away from that area. I was born and spent my early childhood there and never had a clue as to the history and roots.

DANA: Yep...pretty "shexy"...love the legs!

DAVE: I think the genetic threads combine to make one piece of clothing for the world to wear. Geneolgy certainly points out the intermarriages and connections too. All interesting stuff and makes me want a pedigree for everyone

I sure wish the family feuds in the world would stop because the kids get crazy when the row gets rid of the nasty heads of the house and the kids don't obey the babysitters

Hmmm.

Carman