MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-05, 05:50
Vets Dottir

Default Hi

Hello folks ... jumping back a bit to comment about photos ... we bought a disposable camera with 27 pics and I took them all from the time of sitting downtown in the carrier while waiting for the parade part to begin ... and snapped away through much of the parade ... hopefully many of those pics turn out well. (I also really regret that I missed watching the ceremonies... I stayed close to the carrier because I didn't know the timings for things so missed all the ceremonies and also therefore...got no photos of them. I heard the songs in the distance )

Geoff is taking the camera in and having them put to CD ... that should take a couple of days or so ... at which point, we'll post some.

I really regret that I didn't have a camera until too late to take photos where everyone with the vehicles were camped out, and while doing the convoy to the parade start point ... I was stunned to see all the vehicles in real time, and all the men and women in WW2 dress and activities. What a gas, a treat, and an honour the whole experience was for me. It was also like a time warp that I "sorta got" ... I walked into another "time" ... and spent the first few hours just looking ... no yapping for a change

Check back here in a couple of days or so for some photos I took ... the people that showed up for this event were incredible numbers... and I still hear the "clapping for the Vets" from the start of the parade, right until the end, which is how far the crowds gathered to watch ... SO emotional at times.

There was a woman came up to the carrier to shake Mister Ernie Pain's hand and she just held on while telling him, with tears in her eyes, how she was from Holland, and was there and liberated and still remembers ... god ...

I'm still truly overwhelmed by all I saw and heard ... and what I saw and heard in the crowds and people who approached to thank, touch or shake Ernie's hand, knowing what that REALLY meant ... gives me faith and hope in humanity ...

You know, it's funny, but I recall a photographer trying to get my attention and I turned around ... he said. "I got your backside, now I want your front." "Who ARE you?" ... I just replied ... "I'm nobody. I'm just here." and pointed to Ernie and the other two vets basically letting him know that these Vets were the only somebodies who were important. (the photographers face showed obvious disappointment that I was 'nobody" but I was cool with that )

I think thats the photo with my "backside" in the Toronto Sun and with a great shot of Ernie Pain receiving the flag from that little boy wearing a helmet.

How can I express so much understanding and felt-thought as I saw that day, in mere words? I can't.

Karmen