MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-07, 16:41
Derek Heuring

Default Tips and suggestions for a Normandy 2009 trip.

I've finally received permission from the War Dep't. (my wife) to start planning a trip for the 65th anniversary of D Day. I've secretly been putting aside 5% of every paycheque into a savings account for a few months now and will continue to do so, openly, until our departure. I'm seeking tips and suggestions from those of you who have been to Normandy for a D Day event to make the best of this trip.
Here is my tentative itinerary:

Fly to London approx. 1 week before the event in order to see the IWM, Bovington, changing of the Guard etc.

thence to Normandy via Chunnel? ferry? LCAC? CMP? I'm hoping to hook up with a group that is travelling to Juno beach so as to be on the beach June 6th. I have a copy of Ken Ford's JUNO BEACH from the "Battle Zone Normandy" series and will use his book as a template for a tour of Bernieres, Courseulles, Graye-sur-mere, Pegasus bridge etc.

then on to Carpiquet and Caen, ending up in Paris.

After Paris I hope to follow the Canadian Army's drive through N.W.E. to Holland, with a stop in Arnhem.

I want to be as flexible as possible, with no hard and fast schedule, other than being on Juno Beach for June 6th. I'm considering renting a car for the trip. Would that be prohibitively expensive? Can a person rent a car in, say England and drive it throughout Europe? Would a Eurail pass be a better way to travel?
I understand that I should have hotel resevations for Normandy well in advance of the date, but for the rest of the trip would I have trouble finding a room in the rest of Europe without previous reservations?
How about cell phones? can I buy a Pre-paid minutes cell phone in Europe, or is that purely a N. American thing? Hope I don't sound too ignorant with all these questions, my previous experience in Europe was with the Canadian Forces and everything was taken care of for me.

I've talked to some of my American friends who have gone to D Day and they've told me to join a group such as the MVT as there are many good suggestions they offer their members for such a trip.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated and if any of my fellow MLUers living in Europe are interested in getting together for a pint/litre/flagon while I'm there, let me know. Thanks, Derek.