MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 26-08-09, 23:32
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Wannabees

An article in our newspaper this morning alerted me to something rather disturbing: the subject of impostors who, for whatever reason pretend they have served in the armed forces, march in parades, and wear medals and other things they are not entitled to do.

There is a website, Australian and New Zealand military impostors which seeks to alert us to these frauds.

I would assume this problem is not unique to us.

Quote:
Often called by the derogatory term "wannabe" these are men and women who may or may not have served in the armed forces, but who fraudulently misrepresent themselves as having served; often in a theatre of war by their words and actions, and by wearing of medals and other accoutrements to military service to which they have no entitlement.

In recent years there has been uncertainty about who is entitled to wear US and Vietnamese decorations. The Australian government has instituted an application and verification method for all those who believe that they are entitled to foreign awards. Those without government notification or approval must be classified as a fraud, a "wannabe."

The impostor or fraud will push the line saying that they were "given" decorations in the field. This does not legitimise the wearing of the award. Official recognition was and still is supported with documentation and the written citation. It is known that some Vietnamese Commanders "awarded" American and Australian servicemen decorations for being nice, or for a favour, not for gallantry or service rendered.

Under the Defence Act, 1903 as amended, it is a federal offence to claim to be a returned soldier, sailor or airman, subject to six months' imprisonment and a fine of up to $3300. Further it is an offence to wear a service decoration to which you are not entitled, attracting additional penalties.

Worse though, is the cost to Australia's taxpayers who are picking up the tabs to the tune of perhaps million of dollars in payments and pensions to 'veterans' who have no legitimate claim to the title.

Worse still is the insult to genuine veterans of any conflict, who find their courage, honour and valour stolen by imposters both from within and outside their ranks. We will continue to ferret out those who misrepresent their service.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-08-09, 12:30

Default Sends a shudder.

A very ugly subject indeed Keith,

I find it very hard to find appropriate words to describe this sort of 'creature'.

I hope Ive never met one, you would like to think all the chaps you meet with your grandfather on Anzac day in the RSL were telling the truth about what they did.
Old 28-08-09, 12:42
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Research

I research the guys I interview as far as I can to ensure they're genuine but you do have to take what they're saying at face value. I don't think I've come across anyone who wasn't what they claimed yet in some 150+ interviews but I recognise it is possible, although you'd think less so with the WW2 guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
A very ugly subject indeed Keith,

I find it very hard to find appropriate words to describe this sort of 'creature'.

I hope Ive never met one, you would like to think all the chaps you meet with your grandfather on Anzac day in the RSL were telling the truth about what they did.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern