MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-06-15, 10:55
Blitzed

Default Hot off the press. Pucka Tank museum has closed!

Have just been informed by one source. Who can confirm?
Old 22-06-15, 10:59

The tank Museum is about to undergo a rebuilding program and with Safe Base Charlie in force across the nation, the public aren't permitted within the base perimeter to visit the museum.

Thats to the best of my understanding.

We at the SME Museum (AAMME) are in the same position.
Old 22-06-15, 14:21

On my last visit the one remaining staff member told me they had $35 million allocated to build a new museum and finally all their exhibits would be housed under cover. He compared it to a Bunnings size building.

When completed and as each vehicle was relocated it was to be refurbished painted etc whatever required for display.

At least that was what I was told as recently as a few months ago.

With budgets restraints the museum is quite sad at present. That are grossly understaffed and they are flat out just keeping the bird s**t off the exhibits which are mostly in outdoor but roofed cover. Everything is covered in dust and leaves and when you consider what a fantastic collection they have it is a shame that more resources are not allocated to present it better.

Let's hope the future bodes well for what is a world class collection.
Old 22-06-15, 21:13

Default Sad day.

It's a sad day indeed when our armed forces have to take precautions against the possibility of attack from elements of the population.

David
Old 23-06-15, 07:18

Lets hope the Tank Museum plans don't suffer the same as the Engineers Museum. So many things changed from the initial plans to what was eventually delivered.

Don't get me wrong, the new building is a great improvement, but the floorspace available for the Large Technology Items (LTI) seems to be about half what was originally envisioned. There is insufficient space to be able to walk around each item with many items only visable behind other LTI and a barrier rope preventing access to the rear. We have had to auction off many items that didn't have engineer provenance in-service and even the M113A1-FSV (134-702) is to be redeployed to Pucka with other FSV.

The outdoor LTI such as the Steele and Bailey bridges are being moved but will be within the Engineer's School and not the Museum.

The original plan for the Museum to cross the boundary to allow access to the public whatever the Safe Base status has gone and although the gate is spitting distance from the Museum we're still behind the wire.
Old 23-06-15, 10:08

Default closed

Look what happened to the North Fort facilities, boxed up sent south. Left all the volunteers stranded and the tunnels to fill up with water, only the Memorial walk left.
Old 23-06-15, 10:37

Some of the vollies came over to the AAMME and AFAIK at least one went to the Infantry Museum at Singleton.

Alan L is still involved with the "Defence of Sydney Museum" on the North Fort site, but it is now managed by the Sydney Harbour Trust, so not a lot of money or support for the old facilities.
Old 23-06-15, 15:23

Default Museum Closed

I have not had the pleasure of visiting Australia but I would think that moving a museum to a new location outside of a military establishment would be considered a good thing as the move would allow greater public access and an opportunity to get the larger artifacts indoors.
Old 23-06-15, 15:55

In our case they really only need to move the fence a little and we're outside the perimeter. Unfortunately people with higher pay grades (than volunteers ) made the decision.