MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 29-10-20, 16:00

Chris , can you explain then why there are 3 aerial bases mounted on Avalon , and other command tanks , plus a B set one ?
I know that an additional 38set was fitted in the turret , but where was the aerial mount on the co drivers side used for ?
Old 29-10-20, 20:33
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Donckers View Post
Chris , can you explain then why there are 3 aerial bases mounted on Avalon , and other command tanks , plus a B set one ?
I know that an additional 38set was fitted in the turret , but where was the aerial mount on the co drivers side used for ?
Command tanks could have 2 x WS19 + 1 x WS38 and would be rather cramped inside. I think the usual arrangement was:

Standard WS19 in turret bustle, provides A1 set for inter-unit comms, B set for inter-troop comms, and tank intercom. Second WS19 provides A2 set for rear link comms. (Control Units No.12 and No.2 are used instead of No.1 and No.2, with a repurposed WS 38 Mk.2 for communication with supporting infantry. There was a later WS38 AFV that used Control Units 17 and 16 instead of 12 and 2, and I think there was also a No.33 that allowed 2 x WS19 + WS38AFV (or the later WS88 and WS31 AFV variants) for command or artillery OP tanks.

The 'Rear Link' set could be a WS19HP, but I don't think that tanks had enough internal space.

Louis Meulstee has an entire chapter on the WS19 control boxes and their use in Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2.

The Royal Signals Pocket Book section "Wireless Diagrams" shows the standard communications setup for various units up to Corps or Division size, together with the number and type of sets used and how they were allocated.

Chris.
Old 30-10-20, 14:35

Quote:
I don't see the third aerial base?
Chris, check the last picture in post #99, you can see the bracket just barely hanging on, just left of the track armour.

Attached is a picture of the Aerial base in the right hand side hull front on Avalon, as mentioned by Maurice.
Also attached are two pictures of the aerial bracket and conduit as described in the scan Colin posted.....One picture shows the Sherman V in Oosterbeek and the other the Sherman V in Balgerhoeke, Belgium, which is an ex-crab.

Alex

P1010077.JPG IMG_3205.JPG

m4a4_sherman_33_of_44.jpg
picture source for the Oosterbeek picture:http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/jan...dex.php?Page=2
Old 30-10-20, 20:03
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Chris, check the last picture in post #99, you can see the bracket just barely hanging on, just left of the track armour.

Attached is a picture of the Aerial base in the right hand side hull front on Avalon, as mentioned by Maurice.
Also attached are two pictures of the aerial bracket and conduit as described in the scan Colin posted.....One picture shows the Sherman V in Oosterbeek and the other the Sherman V in Balgerhoeke, Belgium, which is an ex-crab.

Alex
OK, the Avalon picture shows what I think is a US or Canadian "Aerial Base No.8 Mounting No.1", which is a steel + rubber composite that is fixed to the hull by the variometer feeder and a few spacer and centering components. The aerial base fits on top of this, retained by the six hex bolts which screw into the steel insert.

The other two pictures show the later-added aerial mounts (or remains of them) for the Wireless Set No.38 Mk.II for communication with supporting infantry. The conduit is to protect the aerial feeder to this base and is obviously joined to the mounting for the Aerial Base No.9 used by the 'B' set.

(There's enough room down the 'B' set mounting for the extra feeder which was simply a length of P11 cable with a plug on one end for the set and a ring terminal on the other for the aerial base or its connector plate.)

I suspect they just cut a hole in the 'B' set mount and welded the conduit into it.

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 30-11-20, 23:20

Today was the 76th anniversary of the battle of Broekhuizen and the day that Avalon was lost due to a mine explosion. I was in Broekhuizen today; no ceremonies, but to me it always feels special to be at a historic site on the original date....only 76 years later.

The weather was OK.....cold, damp, but definitely not as muddy as it was in 1944.

I took some pictures from the starting point of the attack on the Broekhuizen castle, which started at 10 o' clock, november 30th 1944.
The first picture with the path in the centre shows the approximate angle of attack.....The location of the castle is roughly on the right hand side of the wooded area on the horizon.
Broekh16.jpg

The 2nd picture is taken from the same position, but looking to the right, this was the starting point of the tanks. Machine guns were set up on the other side of the path (in the first picture) in the treeline. The view from the machine gun positions can bee seen in the 3rd picture. I wasn't able to spot any remains of foxholes or trenches.
Broekh17.jpg Broekh4.jpg

The 4th picture is approximately where Avalon was put out of action; the mine field was a rounded shape around the castle and the village of Broekhuizen....it crossed the street and the path and field in the picture.
Broekh15.jpg

The 5th picture shows the wooded area close to the castle
Broekh14.jpg

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 01-12-20 at 23:06. Reason: formatting
Old 30-11-20, 23:38

The Broekhuizen castle was defended by about 18 Fallschirmjäger.....they had an excellent view over the fields and were protected by the thick walls of the castle. The castle was heavily shot at by tanks, until the last remaining Germans surrendered. The castle is only a ruin today. It seems it also had a moat at the time and a small bridge, with the concrete bases still remaining.
I am not sure if the red crumbling brick in the pictures is actual battle damage, or just erosion, but it is the side pointing towards the British forces.

Broekh8.jpg Broekh9.jpg Broekh10.jpg Broekh11.jpg Broekh12.jpg
Old 30-11-20, 23:46

The first picture shows the old lawn (?) of the castle and the ruins can just be seen through the trees......This is the direction of one of the previous attempts to take the castle on November 28th.
Broekh13.jpg

The second picture is taken 180 degrees from the first and shows the old access road to the castle.
Broekh6.jpg

The third picture shows another old road....at the time, this road ran along the castle and into town. An attempt was made by 2 flails to take this road, but they got bogged down quickly.....these tanks were later recovered.
Broekh5.jpg

The fourth picture shows the view from the German positions towards the British attack.
Broekh7.jpg

The 5th picture is taken at another access road into Broekhuizen....along the Maas river. This is approximately the location where Sam Halls flail was hit by a Panzerfaust.
Broekh3.jpg

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 01-12-20 at 23:07. Reason: formatting