MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-06, 01:18
Mr. HUP

Default Thanks Phil.

Here is a shot of my HUP frame at the "Frog Farm" near Kars, Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails
hup pond.jpg  
Old 12-11-06, 07:51
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Nice stuff

Nice pics of '45 'Staff Cars' to add to the reference collection. Thanks Bob 'n' Rob.

That D-ring question had come up before - the narrower bumper seems like a reasonable accounting for the change in orientation.
Old 12-11-06, 09:36

Default Re: "Circle S" stamp explanation?

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Bowker
I've seen a photo of someone stamping a Dodge (8 cwt?) frame at the factory to indicate acceptance. Is there a chance that the same was done with Chevs or Fords?
I've got a shot somewhere of an inspector stamping the left rear chassis rail of a T212 D8A on the extreme rear of the vehicle. Not a very good image but good enough to see what he's doing. Comes from one of those Chrysler / Canada at War books.

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
d8a1.jpg  
Old 20-11-06, 18:32
Mr. HUP

Default INTEREST IN PHOTOS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
...how much interest would be generated by these pictures.
Bob,

Was there any writing/notations/dates on the backs of the photos? Did you get any other info about the photos (i.e. locations)?

P.S.
I hope that there is some firewood in the barn - I got permission from SWMBO to go out and "play" next weekend!
Old 22-11-06, 03:35

Default NO notations....

Hi Rob

The pictures I got were digital...... from Forestry services archives in the Sou....... chap said he would try to locate some of the old retirees for possible leads on anything that might still be left in someones old barn or shed.

Need to replace the oil drip line for next weekend..... need to cut a new 12 inch long section from your roll and flare it up to fit..... the one in there now is all cruded up tight and has alread been shortened about 3 times....

Remember the compressor is not running..... unless done manually.......

Bob
Canada
Old 23-11-06, 03:15
Mr. HUP

Default FRAME STAMP

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
...there is a letter "S" inside a circle stamped on the frame. I'll find a photo or get another photo showing the location later on. So far, the only theory is that the "Circle S" is the frame manufacturer's identification stamp.

RHC
What is it for? Here is a photo of the "S" stamped just forward of the two forward knee action shocks - the circle (a pencil outline to make it stand out) got sandblasted away:
Attached Thumbnails
hup s.jpg  
Old 29-11-06, 23:49
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Door decals

Hi Guys:

My bet is that the round decals on the door are standard Canada decals in english, chinese and russian around the maple leaf.

Cheers! Mike
(Now happily back in Ottawa... for a week)
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 30-11-06, 01:44
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Door decals

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Cheers! Mike
(Now happily back in Ottawa... for a week)
Well, nothing more to be said than 'welcome home, Mike!'
Old 30-11-06, 06:53
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Re: FRAME STAMP

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
What is it for? Here is a photo of the "S" stamped just forward of the two forward knee action shocks - the circle (a pencil outline to make it stand out) got sandblasted away:
I have the same "S" in same spot on my 45 HUP - I'm guessing it identified which die the frame channels were stamped out on, if they had more than one.
Old 01-12-06, 22:52

Default Kind welcome

Hi Geoff:

Thanks for the kind welcome home.

I had a reunion with RHC last night at our local cadet corps (the 1st Anti-Tank Regt, RCA) where we conducted the annual Ode to St Barbara complete with making of the infamous Gunner Punch (Shirley temple version, of course!). Its hilarious to watch the kids' reaction to one of their NCO's pouring motor oil (molasses in a carefully cleaned 10W30 bottle) into the mix, but the BQMS's old smelly sock is the highlight of the evening!

The MV scene in Kenya is non existant. Any old warriors sold off go directly to work as commercial vehicles or safari vehicles. The Kenyan MoD cuts up any AFV or wheeled armour that it scraps... no baddies gonna get their hands on that stuff. Only saw one old gate guard cannon in all my travels and it was on the garrison we were training at.

The stuff is out there tho', look at the articles in MVI and CMV magazines re: Rommel's staff car.

Hope to treat you to a much delayed brewski at Gracie's some day.

Cheers and Ubique! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 01-12-06, 23:26

Default Re: Mike

I had to laugh at your comment about the molasses out of the oil can! I would have killed to have been a fly on the wall for THAT one...

Ref Gracie's, the pleasure will be all mine. If it's going to be a Thursday (again) it will have to wait until 2007 when I get my next vacation time. Otherwise, weekends are good, although it's probably too close to Christmas! I repeat, though, the pleasure will be mine.

Old 02-12-06, 00:09

Default Gracie's

Looks like 2007 as I fly out next Thu for a month in Florida and Belize- all pleasure this time... time to recharge batteries with some long days on the beach and long hours underwater!

I'll post the recipe and drill for the punch. Its a lot of fun.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 02-12-06, 00:12

Is Belize still garrisoned by the Brits? I've lost touch.

Ref the punch, sooner rather than later, Major, sir!
Old 02-12-06, 00:27

Default Belize and Brits

Yup! I'll be staying with the Brit garrison CO and/or the Belizean Engr Sqn OC, (both army buddies). Couldn't afford these personally funded world wanderings if I actually had to pay for anything but airfare!

Punch recipe next week- early, I promise!

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 08-04-09, 18:32
Mr. HUP

Default In The Land of Fruits and Nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Rob The pictures I got were digital...... from Forestry services archives in the Sou....... chap said he would try to locate some of the old retirees for possible leads on anything that might still be left in someones old barn or shed.Bob
Bob. Any news on the HUP search?

In the meanwhile, I found that 45 HUPs made it all the way out to BC and were in use by the Federal Dept of Agriculture for an insect survey that was started in the mid 1930s and which continued on at least through the seventies.

Of particular note: The paragraph lamenting the use of the HUP on page 8 and a photo on page 9 of the document.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library...s/bib19818.pdf

If anyone out on the Left Coast has any contacts with NR Can in BC, this may be a good start point for tracking down a few HUPs...
Old 08-04-09, 20:59

Default Another Bit of HUP History Found

Another interesting bit of HUP history, it is interesting that everything he said about the HUPs could also be said about most military vehicles. It is interesting that he took the time and space in the report to explain the term HUP.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-04-09, 21:20
Mr. HUP

Default HUPitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Another interesting bit of HUP history, it is interesting that everything he said about the HUPs could also be said about most military vehicles. It is interesting that he took the time and space in the report to explain the term HUP.
Phil, I think that he actually liked the HUP - can't blame him can we? You can't say the word without getting a good feeling (except when you can't find replacement parts)...

I agree with the statement about mil vehicles - as soon as you say "army truck" a lot of folks drive them to see just how tough they really are. In my experience, the truck breaks down soon after the driver says "Hold my beer, and watch this..."

There must have been more noble uses of HUPs post war. So far, I have evidence that HUPs were used for:

Knocking down trees*
Running dynamite*
Construction company field office*
Forestry service use (insect surveys)
Farm truck - once that bothersome back van was torched off
Tow truck
Pick up truck
Traveling variety show utility/tow vehicle
CWM display
Rural school bus

*my HUP in its former life

Last edited by RHClarke; 08-04-09 at 22:35. Reason: more uses
Old 09-04-09, 02:55

Default Searching the past.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
If anyone out on the Left Coast has any contacts with NR Can in BC, this may be a good start point for tracking down a few HUPs...
It must be remembered that Forestry was once a part of Agriculture Canada when people associated trees with things you could plant and grow..e.i. tree farm !!!

Eventually it became recognized as a "Resource" of natural occurence.... and glued to Natural Resources which is mainly rocks and minerals and the maps to find them...... now includes energy but not exclusive to oil and weird things like testing air tight wood stoves which consumes valuable trees and are in the process of being outlawed in cities around Montreal......and running hydrogen buses that have to be put away in Winter because the water in the exhaust freezes......

So in the future you can see a typical Xmas card Winter scene depicting a cabin somewhere in Northern Quebec with no chimney trailing a modest plume of wood smoke......but a HUGE Beegeezus windmill in the background churning elastricity........

Meanwhile HUP rules !!!!

BooB
Canada
Old 09-04-09, 03:04
Mr. HUP

Default Hey Bobbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
...."If anyone out on the Left Coast has any contacts with NR Can in BC, this may be a good start point for tracking down a few HUPs... It must be remembered that Forestry was once a part of Agriculture Canada when people associated trees with things you could plant and grow..e.i. tree farm !!! Eventually it became recognized as a "Resource" of natural occurence.... and glued to Natural Resources which is mainly rocks and minerals and the maps to find them...... now includes energy but not exclusive to oil and weird things like testing air tight wood stoves which consumes valuable trees and are in the process of being outlawed in cities around Montreal......and running hydrogen buses that have to be put away in Winter because the water in the exhaust freezes......So in the future you can see a typical Xmas card Winter scene depicting a cabin somewhere in Northern Quebec with no chimney trailing a modest plume of wood smoke......but a HUGE Beegeezus windmill in the background churning elastricity........Meanwhile HUP rules !!!!BooB
Your rants are polite compared to mine...but it is good to see you coming around to appreciating the wonders called HUPs. What say we scare up a few this weekend?
Old 09-04-09, 22:05

Default Trailer prep.....and loading....

....9 am Friday morning.....

Boob
Canada
Old 05-05-09, 21:20

Default Another Book on CBC – Special HUPs

I’m reading a book that I just got (e-pay) written by Peter Stursberg, The Sound of War, Memoirs of a CBC Correspondent, though I have not finished reading it thought I would pass along some of the pictures. Also wanted to post an alert for you HUP collectors to keep a look out for a HUP with indications of padlock middle doors and names painted on the side doors if you find it you may have a very special vehicle. Years ago when I first was writing back and forth to Peter Ford (who was and avid CMP collector and then employee of the CBC) he was hoping that my HUP was this one, it is not. The HUP in question had been shipped back from Europe at the end of the war. Where it spent a number of years Plowing the CBC until it disappeared, so if any of you find a HUP look for any tell tail signs of the lettering on the side.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of The Sound of War  Book(22).jpg   Copy of The Sound of War  Book(10).jpg   Copy of The Sound of War  Book(1).jpg  
`45 HUP
Old 26-06-09, 02:56
Mr. HUP

Default HUP on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCcPqak92U HUP at the start and at 1:09. I missed hearing the location of this vehicle meet. Love the sound of the HUP rolling by...
Old 08-07-09, 02:43
Mr. HUP

Default Oshawa HUP

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm_v2.ph...&hs=0&rd=59749

What makes this "strange" is that GM/Chevrolet no longer makes trucks in Oshawa...
Old 08-07-09, 02:50
Mr. HUP

Default At Ortona

http://books.google.ca/books?id=pzL7...esult&resnum=5

This webpage might provide Phil Waterman with a thrill...
Old 08-07-09, 15:51

Default Wonder if the HUP is the CBC unit

Quote:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=pzL7...esult&resnum=5

This webpage might provide Phil Waterman with a thrill...
I'll have to track down a copy, I'll start with my wife (librarian) to see if I can get it through inter library loan. Failing that I'll order a copy.

Thanks for the leads.

Cheers Phil.

Do you want me to post some HUP sound tracks?
`45 HUP
Old 08-07-09, 17:53
Mr. HUP

Default Music To My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Do you want me to post some HUP sound tracks?
Yes! I'll make a MP3 recording of it and replay it at work over and over again...
Old 27-02-10, 00:26
Kostas

Quote:
This is an invitation for all web-surfers/restorers/researchers to post shots of non-military use HUPs with the intent of sharing information and perhaps populating a future HUP section on this website...
It's time to revive this thread..

Picture shows a HUP conversed to a public bus at the province of Sparta, late 60's....

Fate unknown, but my search will bring results soon..
Old 27-02-10, 17:12

Default Frame stamping

Quote:
The circle with the "S" inside is the trademark of A.O. Smith Ltd. This company has stamped frames for the automotive industry for many years.
Here is some history,

http://www.aosmith.com/About/Detail.aspx?id=130

Paul

Last edited by Paul Singleton; 12-01-20 at 15:35.
Old 28-02-10, 07:12

Default HUP from Manitoba.

Hi All,
Here is a nice HUP here in Manitoba some of the collectors have talked about in the past and have tried to purchase but with no luck.The farmer has an attachment to it but doesn't seem interested to do anything with it,just have it in the yard.Sure is a nice lawn ornament!

Sorry for the poor quality photo's but I took these photo's over 12 years ago with one of those old cameras you had to put film in manually,remember those Antiques!
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 28-02-10, 07:18

Default Another Manitoba HUP

Here is another HUP in Manitoba that was donated to an agricultural museum.It has been modified into a tow truck.

Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)