MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 09-06-05, 12:21
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Re: Long distance trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Whoa, back the truck up! Manitoba? Isn't that like going from one wilderness to another?

Seriously, Sean, what brought that on?
I think it would take some beers ,okay many beers, and an uncensored venue to completely fill you in. Lets just say I want my son to grow up with some ethics and the north is a great place to visit but I don't want to live here. I gave it my all and put in the time but I have had my fill. I'll be moving down to no job and less pay at what ever I do , but I am sure quality of life will still be better.

Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 09-06-05, 14:56
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Keep comin' south, Buddy! Australia has lot's of CMPs but not enough CMP enthusiasts to look after them all! We also have enough beer to tell your story. The Ottawa Liberals will never find you here.
It might take some time for you to acclimatise, though! (-30 deg winters? Wassat?)
Old 09-06-05, 15:04
In Vino Veritas

Default But do you have...

...mossie's? And not the plywood kind.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 09-06-05, 15:36
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: But do you have...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
...mossie's? And not the plywood kind.
Sean
For the benefit of the uneducated among you, I shall translate: he means skeety-bugs. Dunno if they have them downunder, but I do know they have a wealth of other specimens from bugworld ...

BTW, Sean, when I was in Winterpeg last September I was frightened at the size, number and aggressiveness of the Manitoba skeeters!
Old 09-06-05, 15:51
In Vino Veritas

Default Training ground

I hear what you're saying Geoff , but that must be a minor league training ground compared to the north. Last night with bug dope and clothes and bug hat I still got a good dozen bites and fought mosiquitos in the office all night just from the ones that clung on when I came indoors. And this was in just 4 minutes walking across a paved parking lot once an hour. Insane! The mossies will soon be suplimented by noseeums , bulldogs, blackflies, and haireaters. Alex can tell you about the bugs they grow up here. If you ever hit northen ontario fishing then you have an idea.
I will NEVER complain about Winnipegs mosquito population again, after living here. Also winter is at least 2 months shorter there and the temp averages 10c warmer for winter time highs and lows. There are people that restore green stuff and there are places to get a piece of metal or a can of paint or sandblasting or welding. There are places to take Shamus to wading pools, parks, zoo, sports ( Watching Big Blue kick Ottawa), and for him to play sports when he gets older. And those are the tangibles. I am not making the best financial decision but I am making the best quality of life decision. Its a shame when convicted criminals can decide my financial future. Again , you have to ask Alex about the simplicity and complexity of the North, I can't quite adjust to it.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 09-06-05, 16:18

Default Re: Training ground

Quote:
Again , you have to ask Alex about the simplicity and complexity of the North, I can't quite adjust to it.
Sean
I hear you... everyone I've ever known who spent time up there has sworn 'never again'. It ain't like they show on the TV, is it? Takes a peculiar individual to want to stay there indefinitely...
Old 09-06-05, 19:09
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Training ground

Quote:
Again , you have to ask Alex about the simplicity and complexity of the North, I can't quite adjust to it.
Sean...
I'm like you...liked it but wouldn't want to spend the rest of my days there..When my girls were small we had to pull nylon stockings over their heads,down to their eyebrows with their little ears well covered and down the back of their necks as far as possible just to keep the black flies out of their hair and eating them alive ,starting behind the ears..
Next....The mosquitoes came in clouds out of the grass or bush and attacked leaving welts as big as a quarter..Pretty soon everyone was on antihystimines to fight off the allergic reactions to their bights..And they never gave up...
Moving up the scale was the deer flies...
Twin engines ...sawed hugh chunks of meat out of their victims..left,bloody chunks of human flesh steaming rivers of blood from their jaws,staggering into flight like an overloaded bomber ....
Top of the scale was the moose flies....
Took animals and small children back to their dens as snacks..
Could chew through three layers of bush gear and still chew a hunk of meat out of you that looked like a gunshot wound...
And they were fast...could land..chew out a chunk and be gone in seconds...
It seems like their bights instantly injected temporary pain killer because the pain should have been instantaneous but you usually felt nothing for a few minutes after they had gone..
After realizing you had been bitten and staunching the flow of blood by pressure ,tourniquet of was ever method you could employ..came the pain...and the itch..
But the worst of the worst was the "No-see-ums"...Little tiny flys that would go through the screening like like an Indy race car and bight everywhere that all the others missed..and they were merciless..too small to see instantly..had to really look for them but you sure felt them ..That is what starts the hunt for them..the pain and the blood stream..
And they were vicious and also attached endlessy outside and insde....at least the screens could keep the outhers at bay but not No see ums...The pain and blood baths were endless along with the itch,infected bights..missing limbs and hugh festering flybight wounds...
Did I mention horse flys....??
A more known species here in the south...Well there aren't any..The deer flies eat them...couldn't survive ..not tough enough...and besides a horse wouldn't survive the bush flies a week..
And that is only the fly attractions of the North...
Stay there too long and it becomes normal....
Comfortable.....unreal...unrealistic...paranoia... booze....fights....
racism...depression..suiside..death...high prices... despair....
And it all starts with the bloody flies....
Sean ..you are doing the right thing to get out..I would suggest Ottawa,and I'd love to have you but you would be going from the frying pan into the fire...Stay West of the Ontario border...
Just my humble opinion...
Old 09-06-05, 19:15

Default Re: Re: Training ground

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
...Stay West of the Ontario border...
Just my humble opinion...
Yeah, like Alberta, the last bastion of freedom in Canada...
Old 09-06-05, 23:56

Cliff,

I guess I deserve that shot across the bow.

A little more detail around that event then: Last year at work I was kept very busy and basically took no time off. And what time I tried to take off the company kept asking me to change. it was frustrating because others in my dept were going out (not vacation time) to mind their new babies, go save turtles (not vacation time), and were able to take vacation time, even my boss. Basically I was on the project from hell that would not die. It came to the point of carrying over what vacation days I could, and scheduling time off or loosing it. Actually at one point the company sent me home for 3 days, but ended up calling me in the very next morning by 9:30 am.

Flight to West coast $200 paid for by being employee of the month.

Flight to Phils $580 Low season deal.

Corrigedor tour $35

Hotel $24 bucks a nite

Food $10 - $20 a day (very cheap there)

Stayed under a week.

Now, If I had know what I know now, no, I would not have gone. But at the point I had been so pushed to the edge, I needed to get far away from the company and the company phone I carry. Its called Hind sight. So its not like I blew tons of cash on an all out trip. Oh, spent $40 on an intro diving class, did not spend the full course $500 on it cause I was thinking about the truck.

So there was thought there,no problem, Cliff, I threw the problem out there for feedback so I expect it.

Also I would l LOVE to do the trip myself and see a few folks up there. I would LOVE to attend a Prairie Command meeting. Just to fly to the area is $400 and it seems silly to go alll the way there and not bring the truck back.

Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
: Jonnie not to be rude but you went overseas on holiday knowing full well that you had to get this truck home? So what if it was your first vacation in 5 years. You should have made going and picking up the CMP a holiday and then you would not be in this predicament.

My suggestion (even if money is tight) is to pay the $1400 bucks plus to get it home if you want it, if not give the truck to someone who can shift it from where it is before the house is sold and it gets left to the new owners.

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I do hope you get to keep it whatever way it goes.
1942 F15 Cab 13 1500cwt GS (soon)

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command

Last edited by Jonnie; 10-06-05 at 00:06.
Old 10-06-05, 00:13

Rob, I agree!!! A jeep maybe, a CMP no. It has a 101" wheel base and would want to jack knife all the time.

A friend of mine (a biker type, shipyard welder, and former B-52 crew chief) has a biker friend that bought a truck and trailer to haul rebar (does road construction/bridges) but he recently found out he has six months to live because of cancer. I am going to try to explore borrowing it, seems so sad though, "Since you're dying can I borrow your rig?"

It would probably make it easier to have on the US side for a hauling company, but I do not know where I would get to over the boarder or how much it will exactly save. Good thought.

Jonathan Lewis

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
To try and straight tow a CMP behind something that small would be suicide. I used to regularily tow my first Cab11 15cwt back and forth to the shop with a CJ7 (360 engine so power wasn't a problem) and it was usually pretty hairy. Problem is the 15cwt will go where it wants to and it'll take you with it.

So your choices are to either flatbed it or borrow a larger truck from someone.
Derk is fairly close to the US border. Would it get cheaper if the truck was on the other side of the line?

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command
Old 10-06-05, 00:18
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Re: Long distance trip

Quote:
I think it would take some beers ,okay many beers, and an uncensored venue to completely fill you in. Lets just say I want my son to grow up with some ethics and the north is a great place to visit but I don't want to live here. I gave it my all and put in the time but I have had my fill. I'll be moving down to no job and less pay at what ever I do , but I am sure quality of life will still be better.

Sean
I'm surprised that Bruce Parker, who lived for 2-3 years in Iqaluit, hasn't jumped in here with his views of northern living.
Old 10-06-05, 05:36
In Vino Veritas

Default Hey Jon

I would have felt different if I had left in 3 years Jon. Its accumulative. I am not saying that all is bad but there isn't enough good to counteract it anymore. I will be the last of 12 other couples that I was/am good friends with to move south. My wife was born up here and desperately wants to move and all her school chums are still here. Her mother thinks its awful here and thinks we should move and she doesn't want to be that far away from her only daughter and grandson. As for Iqualuit I know a couple constables and corporal that had to go on stress leave because fo the severity of the crimes they dealt with on a daily basis there. YOu just reach a point, I was able to take more thrown at me then the people who already left, but now I give up.
And my son and my wife deserve more than a constantly unhappy husband and father.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 10-06-05, 06:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonnie
A friend of mine (a biker type, shipyard welder, and former B-52 crew chief) has a biker friend that bought a truck and trailer to haul rebar (does road construction/bridges) but he recently found out he has six months to live because of cancer. I am going to try to explore borrowing it, seems so sad though, "Since you're dying can I borrow your rig?"

It would probably make it easier to have on the US side for a hauling company, but I do not know where I would get to over the boarder or how much it will exactly save. Good thought.

Jonathan Lewis
If you have the License for a heavy truck, why don't you look into hiring a flatbed from a company like Penske? They will do one way hires and can supply chains and tiedown straps. Fly up and drive back. As someone else mentioned if you bring the F15A through Customs yourself, there's less paperwork and no duty.
Old 21-06-05, 03:20

Would a dual axle 7000 lb trailer be safe with a F15, or do I need to go to 8,000lb or 10,000lb?

Thanks!

Jonathan:

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command
Old 21-06-05, 04:06

Default Should be safe...

Hi Jonnie

I have used a 7000 pounds tandem axle trailer and they are quite safe for a CMP....using a 2 5/16 ball.... trailer should have electric or surge brakes and you should have a full size pickup.

If possible load some of the spare parts in the pickup bed for more even ride. Make sure the load is tied down very tight.... ie the axles but also try to tie down the chassis so that the sprung weight will not sway your trailer. I use chains and bear traps to tighten.... a personal preference over nylon starps that stretch.

After driving for about 30 minutes stop in a safe area and retighten all fasteners. If the tires are holding air pressure deplate halfway once loaded.... tighten the axle chains... then stop at a service centre and reinflate the tires... that usually works good.

Are you driving all by yourself..... hope you like coffee..... even at legal speeds it is a long haul....safe trip.

Bob C
Canada
Old 21-06-05, 09:49
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Need to know about flat towing?

Just ask this man...

He's recovered many a CMP starting when he was a whippersnapper and under 6' tall...

More

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-06-05, 13:01

Jon Lewis

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command
Old 21-06-05, 13:50
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Would a dual axle 7000 lb trailer be safe with a F15, or do I need to go to 8,000lb or 10,000lb?

Thanks!

Jonathan:
Bob has given you some excellent advice regarding using chains versus nylon straps. When I towed my CMP home I used three chains and 4 ratcheting nylon straps. The nylon straps needed constant tightening. One important point, make sure the F15 is sufficiently forward on the trailer to put enough weight on the rear of the truck to prevent the trailer being the "tail that wags the dog" You won't notice any problem until you're out on the Interstate. This happened to me in Illinois when I first started home. I had no problems at 30mph on the back roads, but as soon as I hit about 50 on the Interstate a gust of wind started a severe see sawing motion of the trailer. A quick application of just the trailer's electric brakes straightened me out so I could safely pull over and adjust the load.....a good reason to use electric versus surge brakes. After that I had no further problems, except excessive gas consumption. CMP's are about as aerodynamic as a barn! Fortunately, the prevailing winds should be in your favour! In closing, I have two words for you.......TIM HORTON"S! Chimo!
Old 21-06-05, 13:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default If one CMP is as aerodynamic as a barn...

Here's one we recovered in late 2001, an F15 on the back of my F60L which worked really well - with a 14' tray it was ideal for the job.

More pics.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-06-05, 14:31

Quote:
TIM HORTON"S! Chimo!

Ummmmmmmmm, donuts!

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command
Old 21-06-05, 15:07
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Ummmmmmmmm, donuts!
You must be a fellow fan of the Simpsons! If you ask me the one thing I miss most about Canada it's Tim Horton's hands down! They got it all over Krispy Kreme!
Old 21-06-05, 17:34
In Vino Veritas

Default Hauling safely

My tow rig after doing things the hard way I have worked my way up to something safe and reliable. The guy in the photo is my chum from Winnipeg that wanted a picture of himself to send to his buddy to drive him crazy.
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00954.jpg  
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 21-06-05, 17:54
In Vino Veritas

Default Load binding

And a pic of the cross chained and boomed down load...and of course the buddy. If you're not comfortable with with type of load binder then you can get a rachet one. The rachet binders are preferable where inexperience is involved. The bear claw type boomer generally needs to be open and closed and reset a couple of times to get the slack out of the chain. Also you need a cheater pipe to get the tension in it. Of course you don't want a 6 foot long cheater , in this case, or you can overtighten and bend things. Properly tightened your load isn't going anywhere. I've seen tractor trailers on their sides with the loads still boomed down on the the trailer tightly when done right.
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00953.jpg  
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 26-06-05, 06:31
In Vino Veritas

Default Towing article

Towing a load behind your vehicle involves a lot more than hitchin' up and movin' on down the road . . .

Towing Tutorial
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 09-12-05, 11:41
MLU Administrator

Jonathan, I found a pic of your F15A on the internet.

What's the status?

Cheers,
Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
pic00001.jpg  
Old 10-12-05, 06:00

Johnnie,

If Hanno's photo is of your vehicle, why don't you dispense with all this carry on. Get the cheapest flight you can, spend a day giving her a grease and oil change, fixing the lights etc and drive it home!

I am sure the local boys could help with some sort of temporary registration as well as give you a hand to get her ready.

Lang
Old 10-12-05, 13:37
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lang
spend a day giving her a grease and oil change, fixing the lights etc and drive it home!
I concur, I did the same and it was great fun!

H.
Old 10-12-05, 18:09

Default Story about towing

I've been reading with interest the various comments about towing military vehicles. It always reminds me of a story that a friend with a GMC duce and half tells. Steve was a great one for dragging some General Motors Truck home generally behind his duce. He had finally re-engined the towing duce with a more powerful, newer 270, and was actually able to move down the secondary roads at a reasonable speed. One day he was towing another new duce home and things were going fine until he needed to slow the combination down suddenly as he pushed harder and harder on the brakes all ten wheels of the truck stopped turning but the truck didn’t stop moving. The combination of no load in the towing truck and twice the weight of truck was just to much for ground contact area of 10 non-directional military tires. Fortunately nothing more dramatic than leaving some surprising marks on the pavement happened
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-12-05, 19:47
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Story about towing

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Fortunately nothing more dramatic than leaving some surprising marks on the pavement happened
And the fudge bar he didn't know he had in his pants had melted

Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 10-12-05, 20:03

Thats why I thought this thread would be interesting in general.

Nothing much has changed. Other than I got a call from Derk to let me know that he was selling the house and I needed to come get the truck NOW. But that was not possible and the Prairie Command took mercy on me and The F15 and was moved to a safe house for me by some of our fine members. You know who you are and I am very greatful.

And about the same time I bought a house finally for the first time ever (long term plan that finally happened), which solved one of my problems, storage. It had not been an issue initially because a friend had space until he went through a divorce and the property was sold. Now I have a nice historic 1925 home in a recovering neighborhood.

While the pic looks good, its a bit deceiving. It was running with a sticky valve a year and a half ago, but I don't know right now. Has one almost complete seat but no pads and I never discussed the brakes, radiator, and other important bits. Which leads me to think a dash across the border, 2000 miles, would be interesting, but not safe, and it would be a matter of where I got stuck. Oh yeah, at this time of year with would be a bit nippy without a heater and side windows. LOL.

I recently had a US based guy quote $2700 to move it.

I am usually pretty good at finding solutions to problems, but this one has me a bit stuck.

:dh:

Jon Lewis

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command