MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-05-16, 23:53

Default What's left.....?

Finish the door with paint and new inner skins..... paint the seat frame and install and waiting for the 30Ohms senders for the fuel tank......

...... than road trip!!!!!!

It sure made my task a lot easier to have a "perfect" wiring loom to work with. I followed your practice and did soldered joint on all connections then skrink/heat wrapped. Connectors in the mid section were coated with di-lectric grease during assembly.......all carefully clipped to the frame....especially near the master cylinder......

Will be installing a manual turn signal system which uses a large switch similar to the fuel gauge switch.

I will be running "roadster" style like you without a top and plan to install the original rusted out cargo box as fenders are required....sort of a "work in progress"

Top needs a lot of small bumps to be removed and replace about 6 inch strip near the middle joint.

The cargo box will be reverse enginered later on...... I have 3 rusted hulk to work from.

One question on the harness you supplied Rob for his HUP....did you use the same wiring diagram or did you make a "one off" for his HUP????

A thousand thanks

Bob C
Canada
Old 15-05-16, 02:20

Default Hup

Hi Bob

Pretty sure I used the Pattern 13 wiring diagram http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...Harness(1).jpg

Later version so it may have wires not used on the prototype.

Hope you can give us a video of the first official road trip. Driving these things as roadsters is way to enjoyable, doubt my Pat 12 will ever get its roof.

Cheers Phil

PS - At some point know we have posted the Pattern 11, 12 & 13 wiring diagrams for both Ford and Chevy, if anyone knows the threads how about posting or starting a thread called WIRING DIAGRAMS under restoration and we can all post diagrams for what ever vehicle as reference to others.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 15-05-16, 15:46

Default Wiring-a-ring-a-ring

Good idea to have a special thread just on the wiring diagram and issues.

I used the MB-C2 that grant got copied / enlarged to 17 inches..... makes it easier to read and male notes in the margins.

I will make a point of posting that diagram them include the same diagram with the modifications I made to accomodate the flashers, the manual flasher and the alternator and voltage reducer on the fuel tank gauge.

First road trip will definetily be a U tube video..... and having too much fun with the roadster style maybe a problem. Have you ever considered desiging a simple jeep type canvass roof???

Reason I was asking about the HUP wiring diagram is I may try to give Rob a hand at finishing is wiring.

Man it's only 4 C this morning....will need to fire up Lucifer in the barn.

Plan to jack up the truck on 4 jack stand and bleed the brakes ( brake fluid is 4 years old) and do a fine touch lining adjustment.....easier with all wheels free turning.

Today will change the brake hydraulic switch and install the horn ring on the steering wheel and rebuild the wipers.
Vacuum wipers-s-s-s have be stripped down to selct the two best and new gasket made using the scanner from the computer.... they are all piped in place but need to be finished and tested.

Weather permitting will be sandblasting the seat pans and the tool box next week and paint the doors.....

Cheers

PS we used the same wiring diagram from the MB-C2..... my cab 11 has no side lights (yet) and the Brigth light on the diagram is shown as connected when the lwo beams are on....... I will do a cut and paper paste over the original diagram showing what changes I made.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 15-05-16 at 15:51.
Old 17-05-16, 17:01

Hi Bob,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier; My question regarding pictures was just out of curiousity to see the current status of your truck. The only real specific question I have regarding the wiring at the moment is what type of clips you have used to keep the wiring loom in place(?). From what I have been able to learn from my C8 is that the wiring in the engine bay does use some pre-welded clips on the inner panels of the nose..., as well as around the radiator....the wiring for the headlights are also snugly fit in place....but the loom going through the right chassis rails to the rear lights....seem to just "lay" in position without any clips originally? At least I haven't been able to find any remains of bolted or clamped clips on the frame rails.
I have bought some clips that can be clamped to the chassis rails (not used yet as I sill have to start wiring), but I wonder what others have come up with(?)

Quote:
starting a thread called WIRING DIAGRAMS
Excellent idea Phil. Wiring seems to be a subject that comes up on the forum quite regularly, so it wouldn't hurt to put some of this info in a separate thread.

Alex
Old 17-05-16, 17:48

Default Bolted clips an d spring clips.

Hi Alex

I found a number of small 1/4 inch holes along the bottom of my frame and have used them with rubber covered P shaped clips.... in other area I found at a vintage car show old style spring steel clips that worked beautiful and also made use of long through the frame boltd holding for some of the tank and other brackets and added P shaped clips and and extra nut.

The welded engine side and rad tank clips do come in handy.

I still have to run the two wires to the fule tank and will make use osmaller spring steel frame clips..... I believe they are readily available in trailer supply shops for people rewiring their car float trailers...... I even got myself the old fashion cotton black tar impregated electrical tape from EBay.

Everything works, lights, ignition and a very growling loud 6 volt horn running on 12 volts.

I installed a voltage reducer RUNTZ on the fuel gauge and it works...... none needed for the amp metere and works well with the new alternator.

Cheers
Canada
Old 17-05-16, 22:54

Default YouTube video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post

First road trip will definetily be a U tube video.....

Cheers
Bob, when you are ready to fire your truck up and if you want to get some video, please send me a direct e-mail and I will bring out my camera and try to record some of this event. It may take me some time to do the final editing....

Cheers
Stuart
Old 18-05-16, 02:58

Default Thank you Mr. Speilberg.....

Will take you up on that.

Should be early June.

Re-adjusted all the brakes today and purged all the 4 year old brake fluid out with new more of the same synthetic fluid.

Greased everything except the U joints and that is for tomorrow.

Doors not fitting real nice....close with a solid clunk!!!!!

Wiring all done except for fuel tank sender on back order and turn signal switch.

Stay tuned.
Canada
Old 24-05-16, 01:14
Mr. HUP

Default Late Spring Blizzard at the Barn

With the enviro-nuts running the asylum in Ontario, spraying anything other than government approved herbicides (weak at best) on your lawn is verboten! This results in the proliferation of millions upon millions of dandelions. Pretty little yellow flowers that chokes your grass to death. And when they are ready to procreate, we get dandelion fluff blizzards. It is a sight to behold! Ask Bob.

This past weekend we decided to take advantage of the good weather and paint some parts out of doors. There was no wind, leaving just the Hammond Airforce to bother us. That is until we actually put paint to metal. Then the breeze picked up and the dandelions began their mating.

The result of all of this fluff is seen below. Bob was not impressed, and I am sure he can add commentary later on.
Attached Thumbnails
fluff.jpg  
Old 24-05-16, 03:55

Default Dandelion fluff blizzard warning alert

Thanks for the post. It is appreciated. I was going to do some painting outside in the back yard, but now I will postpone until the dandelions have abated for a few days. One more reason to just work on preparing parts for painting. I never even considered the affect of the dandelions on the paint surface. This has been the warmest several days in a long time and I was working like mad getting all the bits and pieces gathered, cleaned and washed with Varsal solvent.

I have a lot of parts to paint and I thought I knew where they all were. When it came around to actually finding them, many were in hiding. I am sure you know the feeling when you misplace some parts that you cleaned up several years ago.....

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 24-05-16, 21:31

Default Dandelions only half the problems

Mosquitoes landing in POR is the worst.

Had to redo both doors...... a pain. Second time was a charm as I painted inside the barn with the doors hanging.

Tie coat is on now for the OD this afternoon.

Cheers
Canada
Old 24-05-16, 21:40

I just had the same issue today with dandelion fluff and fresh POR. I normally just leave it alone and carry on as if it isn't there. At the end of the day we are not painting show cars with glass like finishes.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 25-05-16, 17:13

Default I got P**off...

....and wiped the doors with Brake cleaner before the POR hardened..... what a mess....used a plastic scrapper and squeeged both doors....... sanded what was left....... Phospated again and repainted hanging inside the barn with POR..... had a few mosquitoes but this time it was fine...tie coat and two coats of OD.... looks good now.

Slowly getting there.
Canada
Old 26-05-16, 01:13

Default Better luck today.....

Started off digging up the video connection to the house which some dum dum ripped up with the rototiller.... fortunately the internet provider was understanding and was back on line in 12 hours.

Dug up the tool nox for tha cab 11 and sandblasted.... phosphated.... and POR 15 semi gloss black. Of course the black hood was very hot in the sun by 5 bags later it was done..... tomorrow the tie coat.... or coats trying to hide the rust pits..... then the OD....

Found the usual rust moth holes that were quickly welded shut.

Rob took a before picture which he will post later...... box is the original to the truck..... rusted but complete. Plans are to POR in Gray for the inside.

Neat how the box is designed to hold two POW cans in corner pockets.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02492cropresizedaa.jpg   DSC02493resiedaa.jpg   DSC02494resizedaa.jpg   DSC02495resizedaa.jpg   DSC02496resizewdaa.jpg  

Canada
Old 26-05-16, 10:53

Great progress Bob, even though mother nature tried to intervene.

I had similar trouble here.....no dandelions or insects this time.....but rain drops. I checked the weather forecast....no rain....but as soon as I put a coat of primer on one of the fenders....

Alex

by the way....excellent job on finding a matching gauge for your dashboard.
Old 26-05-16, 22:20
Mr. HUP

Default Boxing Day at the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
...Dug up the tool nox for tha cab 11 and sandblasted.... phosphated.... and POR 15 semi gloss black... Rob took a before picture which he will post later
As requested, Bob's box "before" pics follow. As well, a word of thanks to Bob for providing the real estate for us to store our vehicles and equipment. My latest project is to put a roof between my two sea cans located near the barn. The patio stones were being trashed by a neighbour, so I relieved him of the burden of disposal, and will use the stones for the floor under the new roof. I am glad this is a hobby and not "work".

Pics:
1 - Before - exterior
2 - Before - interior
3 - Other activities at the barn.
Attached Thumbnails
Bobsrustybox.jpg   Bobrustybox1.jpg   stones.jpg  
Old 09-06-16, 02:36
Mr. HUP

Default Barn Visitors

Today the boys were hell-bent on fixing Bob's cargo box (in the background over Bob's shoulder). The hammering, grinding and scraping were interrupted by a short visit by Jason Ginn and his father.

After catching up on what has been going on, the Ginn's took at tour of the back 40, and then stopped at the barn for more chatting.

The purpose of their visit was to pick up an item for a job they were undertaking in their relatively new restoration shop - see their facebook page for some info on the business:

https://www.facebook.com/search/6149...h?surface=tyah

All too soon they were off fighting the Ottawa traffic heading back to points west. It was a nice visit that helped punctuate a noisy day at the barn.
Attached Thumbnails
Ginn.jpg  
Old 30-06-16, 01:01
Mr. HUP

Default Follow up on Ginn Visit

Well, it is official. Jason Ginn will take over ownership of Geoff Winnington-Ball's 1942 F15 CMP Truck.

It was a fairly easy decision to make as the truck was so far down the project list, that I think I would have run out of time before the truck got some attention, and given Jason's new business venture, it made sense to say good-bye to her.

For the past few years, the truck has served as a platform for my Chev engines and transmission parts in the back 40. Once those items were removed, the rear deck and fuel tank covering were removed exposing a very nice frame. With the exception of the box/tray/bed, the truck is fairly complete. The sheet metal still needs a lot of attention, but the drive train and the running gear (less the tires) are all in great shape.

So, I wish Jason all the best with the restoration of this significant truck, and I look forward to seeing it restored in the future.

Photos:
1 - Geoff's old girl waiting for Jason
2 - Before the deck removal - note the armoured gas tank cover
3 - After the deck removal
Attached Thumbnails
F3.jpg   F1.jpg   F2.jpg  
Old 04-07-16, 01:32
Mr. HUP

Default Hammond Update

There has been plenty of activity at the Barn, but some of that activity has to be kept under wrap. What can be told is that this past weekend involved moving my M37 to the Swords and Ploughshares Museum for the Annual Canada Day Convoy to Merrickville, Ontario.

This years convoy consisted of mostly M series vehicles, Iltis jeeps, and at least two LSVWs. Of note were the LSVWs - they must have been modified as nary a squeal was heard from their brakes.

The Merrickville parade kicked off without too much trouble and ended with a nice meal at the RCL Branch just up from the park where the salute was fired. Then it was on to Kemptville for a soggy parade start. Once rolling, the rain subsided and the sun came out just in time for brats and suds at the Legion in town.

After supper, my brother Ken, who is visiting from the Maritimes, and I loaded up the M37 for the journey home - which was like driving in a car wash. After the last item was put away at the Hammond Barn, the rain stopped and the sun reappeared. So much for being efficient.

Today, we got back to work on fixing snags on the M37 and the wiring for the HUP. I played with the M37, while brother Ken completed the final wiring of the dash for the HUP. My son Jesse joined us for a rare visit and was put to work sanding down the HUP in preparation for its eventual green coat.

Bob was away for the past week and Grant was working. Today, all of the Hammond denizens were present for a quick update and to exercise the trucks. It was good seeing the lads back in action, and even better knowing that the electrics on the HUP are that much closer to completion.

Photos:
1 - M37 at Merrickville towing a S&P 6 pounder
2 - 6 Pounder in action
3 - HUP prep continues
Attached Thumbnails
m37 6 pdr.jpg   blurry shot.jpg   Hup Dash in.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 04-07-16 at 18:27.
Old 04-07-16, 13:06

Default What squeals more mechanics or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
What can be told is that this past weekend involved moving my M37 to the Swords and Ploughshares Museum for the Annual Canada Day Convoy to Merrickville, Ontario.

This years convoy consisted of mostly M series vehicles, Iltis jeeps, and at least two LSVWs. Of note were the LSVWs - they must have been modified as nary a squeal was heard from their brakes.
Perhaps, contrary to popular folk lore, there are folks who actually know how to adjust brakes so they actually work properly. It also helps to not overload a vehicle.

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 04-07-16, 13:28
Mr. HUP

Default Fact or Friction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
Perhaps, contrary to popular folk lore, there are folks who actually know how to adjust brakes so they actually work properly. It also helps to not overload a vehicle.

Cheers!
Stuart
Stuart, Do you really think that it is that simple? If each vehicle came with a mechanic to continually adjust the brakes, then they wouldn't squeal as much when empty. As for overloading, that vehicle was overloaded just sitting there. Add a trailer and it was a crap shoot if the truck could get up a steep hill. In any case, it was great to see more vehicles in the parade.
Old 04-07-16, 17:34

Default Perhaps next year 2017 for the 150th anniversary

It would be great if we were able to get more vehicles out for the 150th anniversary of Canada Day in 2017. Perhaps that will be the debut of the CMP from the Hammond Barn..... Something to look forward to....

I am hoping that with Canada Day in 2017 being a Saturday, it will be a good opportunity to have some of the Historic Military Vehicle owners and Historic Military re-enactors from the northern USA, Ottawa Valley, Kingston and Montreal come to Ottawa for the big event. Perhaps even an organized camp out, and some day trips in the region.....

Keep them rolling.....

Cheers,
Stuart
Old 06-07-16, 02:37

Default Good idea, Stuart

Keep that thought Stuart- I'm sure we could provide two or three from Kingston.
Old 17-07-16, 23:24
Mr. HUP

Default Farewell ford

Today at the barn, we had the pleasure of the company of Jason Ginn and his father, who dropped by to take Geoff Winnington-Ball's famous F15 to its new home in nearby Osgoode, Ontario. Ginn Restorations has moved from Arnprior to Osgoode, which is good for us Hammond Barn types, as the shop is much closer to us now. During our gab session Jason gave an outline of some of the services that will be available in the future, which included a machining capability. We were pleased to hear this!

Initially, we tried to load the stubborn F15 onto Jason's trailer, but it was not a good fit and fought us all the way. Instead, we loaded Bob's trailer in record time and the Ginns knitted the truck down safely with a good amount of straps. Then it was off to Osgoode. Upon their return, we loaded a good number of Ford parts onto Jason's trailer - again in record time. A chat session took place and once everyone was up to date, the Ginns made their way back to the shop.

It was a good day - the F15 will receive the treatment it deserves, and another CMP truck will live to roll again in the future. Where ever he may be, Geoff I am sure, is smiling...

Photos:
1- Loaded up and ready to roll to its new home
2 - Jason looking for serial numbers, or maybe praying?
3 - Info sharing conference in session at the barn
Attached Thumbnails
F15 First Load.jpg   F15 pray.jpg   F15 Conference.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 17-07-16 at 23:35.
Old 17-07-16, 23:48
MLU Administrator

That's good to hear and I'm sure it would get a thumbs up from Geoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
It was a good day - the F15 will receive the treatment it deserves, and another CMP truck will live to roll again in the future. Where ever he may be, Geoff I am sure, is smiling...
Old 01-08-16, 13:39

You may have noticed a lack of information on what Bob's been up to lately with his C15A. He's lifted the publication ban so I'm going to give an outline and hope he'll fill in the detail.
Bob had been making progress in our usual 2 steps forward, one step back fashion. He decided he wanted the truck on the road by the end of June so a bit of a push was started.
Wired the truck using a harness made several years ago by Phil Waterman. The wiring went fairly well. Lay out the harness, look at the labels, confirm we understood the colour codes for the wires., figure out the routing (there's really only one way it could go to let the wires branch out of the harness at the respective components), make frame brackets (rather than mounting the rear lamps to the body), decide on front signals etc.
Fuel tanks were completed. add senders, make gaskets for the tank covers, drill and tap for oversize cover screws because without them all the gasket leaks, make copper (rather than lead) washers to help seal at the cap retainer chain connection to the tank. Plumb the tanks to the selector valve, make yet another set of cap gaskets (originals were in a sorry state) as the neoprene used for the first replacement swelled and disintegrated in contact with gas, fell into the tank so the tank had to be removed for cleanout, similarly for the tank cover gaskets as well.
Make minor adjustments to the doors and make new inner skins as the originals had suffered from rust.
The cargo box is an anachronism but we just didn't have time to fabricate a 2B1 box to match the truck. Later. Bob has the remnants of a couple of 2B1 boxes that may provide a usable floor structure but the sides and tailgate will need to be built. We've been learning about the needed processes while working on my 15 Cwt trailer (more on that in a separate post later). The box was NOT done to perfection. Wheel wells were left inverted/deleted. The worst of the damage to the side walls was adjusted and paint applied (also more for reasonable appearance rather than perfect appearance). Mud flaps were fabricated (only the metal portion as we aren't sure we will be able to transfer them to the 2B1 once it is made). Fabricate Tac sign holder at rear (Bob had NOS for the front, I have original rear to copy from).
Search for ownership papers, data plates, license plates (1940 - bought at flea market and previously submitted for approval for use).
Get the truck weighed.
Submit truck for safety check. Passed on first go. Bob started smiling.
Arrange insurance.
Visit the licensing office, pay fees and walk out with updated paperwork allowing the truck on the road.
Start driving increasing distances for shakedown.
Work to resolve shimmy. Change the front tires from side to side - no change, adjust toe in, check the tightness of all steering joints then switch tires back to front and it seems much diminished.
Attend local cruise night. It was the only green truck there and got more attention by not being all shiny chrome.
You may have wondered why there was a gap of a month between getting the truck on the road at the end of June and this post. That was because fairly early in the push we said " wouldn't it be fun to see Phil's face if we just showed up at his club's annual show at Weare (New Hampshire) to add another CMP to his fleet on display. This weekend we loaded Bob's truck on the trailer and enjoyed the rally, took Bob's truck on one of the trail rides, all worked as it should. Why didn't we drive the CMP to the rally? It's 8 hours in the modern truck and we aren't tough enough (no roof on the cab yet and it rained for part of the trip) to do that distance in the CMP and didn't want to spend 2 or 3 days each way on the trip. There were only a few raised eyebrows at the border from the Customs folks.
First photos of the truck loaded for travel.
Attached Thumbnails
weare transport 1.jpg   weare transport 2.jpg   werare transport 3.jpg  

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 01-08-16 at 13:51.
Old 01-08-16, 13:42

And a few of photos of Bob's C15A with Phil's fleet at the rally. I'm sorry nobody had a camera ready to capture the look of surprise and glee on Phil's face as the CMP pulled up behind him and honked.
Attached Thumbnails
Weare rally 1.jpg   Weare rally 2.jpg   Weare rally 3.jpg   Weare rally 4.jpg   Weare rally 5.jpg  

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 01-08-16 at 13:49.
Old 01-08-16, 13:46

And a few more.....
Attached Thumbnails
Weare rally 7a.jpg   Weare rally 6a.jpg  
Old 01-08-16, 13:55

And suddenly it's a truck! Well done guys! Great plan ato get it done for the evenet.....and I think all will agree that a deadline certainly helps sometimes.

Alex
Old 01-08-16, 14:06

Default Congratulations to thhe Hammond Restoration Barn

Congratulations to Bob and the crew at the Hammond Barn on getting the C15A plated and on the road. I hope to be able to see this at the big event in Kingston (Oedessa) this August.

Perhaps you can also come to Canada Day 2017 in Merrickville?

With the C15A now on the road, will the other vehicles in the assembly line at the Hammond Restoration Barn appear soon?

Job well done!

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 01-08-16, 14:35

Default Boy was I surprised

Hi Bob & Grant

What a surprise that Bob should keep the progress on the truck undercover just to surprise me, I consider a singular honor.

Of course Grant was in on it as he and I had been emailing back and forth about over last month about me ordering some parts for him to save the hassle US company not shipping to Canada. Grant even had asked if there was anything they could bring down. Little did I know.

I've got some GoPro video of Bob & Grant on trail ride at the Rally, which edit and post soon.

Thanks Bob

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com