MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-05, 20:26
In Vino Veritas

Default Rig hauler

Since I posted the Dodge dually and fifth wheel pics this summer I have modified the trailer to make it even usable. I have added two 12000lb trailer leg jacks at the front corners for stability and now I can unhook the trailer even loaded. They crank up from the drivers side.
I added a receiver hitch on the trailer to receive my winch mounted on a stinger setup.
I narrowed the 36" ramps at the rear to 12" ( more than enough) and shedded 200 plus pounds off the ramps making them much easier to fold. I also put them on a bar to slide them in and out to match the width of whatever you are loading.
I cut the beavertail out between the I-beams and made a frame work with hinges that lifts up and levels with the trailer deck and the two folded ramps. This gives the trailer 4.5 feet x 7.5 feet more flat deck space when required. I can also load off a loading ramp now where I could not before.
I changed all the wheels to 16" instead of the 16.5" wheels that came with the trailer.
I also made a hand winch crane modifed at the bottom to fit in the 2x4 stake pockets to load engines, crap what ever. I put a strap on a clip near the top of the crane and strap it to the other side of the trailer to give it added support. The crane can owrk in any of 16 different stake pockets.
Lastly I bought some strap winches from princess auto ( on sale ) and welded them to the sides ,like heavier trailers, so I only have to replace the straps in the not the whole winch and strap. Also you can tighten the straps far better than with loose straps.
A few more mods in the future and sand blast and paint and I will have the perfect trailer.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 11-12-05, 01:21

hanno, thansk for refreshing this thread. i was wondering if he ever got the cmp home.

thansk
Old 11-12-05, 02:08

Quote:
Originally posted by king of obsolete
hanno, thansk for refreshing this thread. i was wondering if he ever got the cmp home.

thansk
Hi Joey!!!

Glad to see you still around. Another season of plowing roads, huh?

May you could bring it down in the spring and visit that old girlfriend! LOL

Jon Lewis
1942 F15 Cab 13 1500cwt GS (soon)

MVPA #13182
Prairie Command
Old 13-12-05, 01:34
1942 C15A

Hello Jon ! Seems there is a silver lining to every cloud .

All the best , Johnnie .
Old 14-12-05, 06:22

jonnie, we are still here, got some collectables to go south to the museums. but i missed out on the cmps in the churchill dump, they went to the crusher, i tried.

check out what the KING DID TODAY on my website and see we ae going after sunken cats. also army trucks were used and lost thru the ice.

www.kingofobsolete.ca

thansk