MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-02-03, 16:24
Simon Skelton

Question cgt model info

Does anyone know of a company that manufactures the Chevrolet CGT model, or indeed any model of the CMP, I will need to modify it but a basic rolling truck would be a start, any help would be greatly appreciated
I forgot to add this is a scale model not the full size thing

Last edited by badger1bear; 15-02-03 at 16:52.
Old 15-02-03, 20:47
MLU Administrator

Default 1:35 scale Chevrolet CGT

Simon,

I have just been looking into this, as I want to build an 1:35 scale model of the Indian Pattern FAT. No so much for the modelling itself, but as so little information is available, I'm trying to sort of re-engineer it.

Italeri kit no. 240 is a Chevrolet Gun Tractor, and I've been told it's quite a good kit. Check your local modelling store to see if they have it. The same kit has been brought on the market over the years by several manufacturers, including Peerless/Max, Italeri, Airfix, Bilek and Zvezda.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 16-02-03, 01:39
Simon Skelton

Many thanks Hanno, no doubt when I find one it will need some extensive modifications
Old 16-02-03, 19:32

Default Further details...

There have been, to my knowledge, three models of CMP put out in the 1:35 scale. There is the Italieri FAT that Hanno speaks about, but Tamiya also released their model under the "Quad" description I believe. There was also a C15A released by Italieri about three or so years ago that MIGHT still be able to be found, I've got my local hobby store looking into getting me three of them, if they're able to track them down I'll let you know.

As far as model kits go either the Tamiya or Italieri will serve you quite well, both are solid kit manufacturers with the slight edge to Tamiya.

Hope that helps...

Tim
Old 16-02-03, 19:43
Alexander Borgia

Default e-bay

Your best place to pick up a C15 is on e-bay. They show up about once a month at least and are usually less than $20 US.

In fact, I just checked and there are two currently listed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2588
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2589

The Tamiya FAT is not well made. It doesn't fit together well at all, so keep this in mind.
Old 16-02-03, 20:50
Simon Skelton

Thankyou Alex, I have asked the seller how much p+p would be to send it to the UK. Hopefully it wont cost too much

regards Simon
Old 16-02-03, 21:24
Alexander Borgia

Default didn't realize you were in the UK..

so here is a Tamiya Quad,...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=1191

and 25 pdr...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=1191
Old 16-02-03, 21:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Nice 12-cab Quad!

Perfect for Italy, circa 1943...
Old 17-02-03, 01:24

Cool CGT 1:35 picture

tried to put in a picture of a Italery model I have made for a friend
Attached Images

Old 17-02-03, 01:47

Hi everyone.

I have built all three models mentioned. The 2 from Italeri and the 1 from Tamiya. The best are Italeri by far in terms of accuracy, fit and detail. Unfourtunatly both of Italeri's are hard to find as they are currently deleated from the production run. If you can get an Italeri go with it.

Jordan Baker
Old 17-02-03, 10:07

Hi All,
There is another kit of a Chevrolet Cab 13 FAT put out by TOMY. I purchased mine about 14years ago. All writing is in Japanese, a real challenge to decipher, but the kit is of very good quality.
They also did a CMP C15A but at the time it was unavailable.
Old 25-02-03, 22:07
MLU Administrator

Default 1:35 scale CMP kit

Quote:
Originally posted by badger1bear
...no doubt when I find one...
Simon, have you been able to find one? A model builder who is selling off his collection of unbuilt kits offered me a couple of these Chevrolet FAT kits. Let me know if you still need one so we can work out something.
Attached Images

Old 25-02-03, 22:11
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 1:35 scale CMP kit

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
A model builder who is selling off his collection of unbuilt kits...
He also has the Italeri 15-cwt kit. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Attached Images

Old 25-02-03, 22:25

Default More 1/35 CMP kits

There are some more models of CMP´s in 1/35 scale. The (probably French) company "La Hoche" released a couple of 15 CWT variants some years ago. These are not for the faint harted though, as these are part plastic, pasrt resin. These include the basic Italeri frames for chassis, wheels and cab, and resin parts for the different body styles.
I´ve got two of these, a Chevy C8 ambulance, and C15 watertruck. As these are limited runs, the chance of finding one is rather slim, helas. Besides availability, as with all this type of specials, its really too expensive. The ambulance had a selling price of 140 old Dutch Guilders, which means roughly $ 65 nowadays!
About the Italeri kits, i agree with the rest that the quality of these is very good, and if you come acrss one, buy it! Allways nice to have some "in stock". I used the 15CWT combined with the large wheels of the AT as a basis for a C60L. It is not actually finished yet, but i´ll see if i can make some pics.

Martin.
Old 25-02-03, 22:28

Thumbs up Buy them now Simon!

How many does he have Hanno?

Martin.
Old 26-02-03, 15:55
RIP

Lightbulb Italeri 15CWT conversion

While reading thru this thread,I got my Italeri 15CWT which I built 15 years ago off the wall unit,brought it down to the basement,& compared it to the India pattern photo shown on the thread.Then it hit me.The roof is one piece glued to the top of the windshield & without the doors,using plastic flat sprue & ingenuity from a clear photo,an indian pattern,may be feasible.Additional fashioned seats would have to be made to incorporate a gun crew in the rear.
Old 26-02-03, 16:21

Default do I see C8 Ambulance variant?

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin IJdo
I´ve got two of these, a Chevy C8 ambulance, and C15 watertruck. As these are limited runs, the chance of finding one is rather slim, helas. Besides availability, as with all this type of specials, its really too expensive. The ambulance had a selling price of 140 old Dutch Guilders, which means roughly $ 65 nowadays!
Martin, interested in your quote above as I assume you mean a C8A Ambulance? As an owner of the real thing I have a Italeri 15cwt boxed kit waiting for a possible transformation into a C8A Ambulance. Trouble is they are a bit more fiddly to work on than the real thing! Do you know in anyone does a resin type conversion kit for any of the HUP varieties?

Ian
Old 26-02-03, 16:22
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Buy them now Simon!

Quote:
How many does he have Hanno?
Martin, he has two of each kit. Do you want the Chevy 15-cwt one?

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 26-02-03, 16:49
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Italeri 15CWT conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
... got my Italeri 15CWT .... & compared it to the India pattern photo shown on the thread. ... using ... ingenuity from a clear photo,an indian pattern,may be feasible.
Garry, that is exactly what I plan to do
I'll use the CGT chassis and cowl from one kit, and modify the 15-cwt cargo box from the other. This is a re-engineering exercise, really. Studying the few photos available, I think the rear body must be an adaptation of the standard British wooden 15 cwt body. The body seems to be lenghtened at the front to fill the gap between the cargo body and the cab (where the tool box and spare wheel is located on the 15-cwt truck), and the extra length is taken up by a bench for the gun crew. By building this model I want to check this theory, as my ultimate goal is to built a 1:1 scale version of the Indian pattern FAT.

Picture source: http://www.geocities.com/cmpvehicles/fat_i_pat.html
Attached Thumbnails
indian_fat_09_th.jpg  
Old 26-02-03, 20:31

Default Re: do I see C8 Ambulance variant?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian McCallum
As an owner of the real thing I have a Italeri 15cwt boxed kit waiting for a possible transformation into a C8A Ambulance. Trouble is they are a bit more fiddly to work on than the real thing! Do you know in anyone does a resin type conversion kit for any of the HUP varieties?
Ian,

The one i have has been laying on the shelve for a couple of years now. I would be happy to donate it to you, at the cost of shipment ofcourse. As a matter of fact, if you are not too sure about the "fiddly bits", i can build it for you, in the marking of your vehicle. See the tread http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...=&threadid=131 for an impression of my previous work.

Martin.
Old 26-02-03, 20:33

Default Re: Re: Buy them now Simon!

Quote:
Martin, he has two of each kit. Do you want the Chevy 15-cwt one?
Yes please Hanno. Drop me a line!

Martin.
Old 27-02-03, 20:45
RIP

Default Indian Pattern FAT

Hanno,
With your picture on screen,I took the back off the 15CWT,actually it's not glued on right now,owing to my darling wife's dusting the wall unit.There's not much trouble in the way of building up a new rear deck extension.The rear of the cab wall is no problem or interference.The only question,not visible in your attendant photo which I cannot see,is,where does the spare tire & holder go?Perhaps on the side behind the driver?
Also,receiving my(finally after 10 weeks because it is rare to purchase)M4A2 Sherman which,with the ultracast decals,will become a 1/35th replica of "Bomb"including the writing on the right side with the grenade image.If you take the Chevy FAT cab less roof and doors & combine the 15CWT rear,it is easily converted using plastic sprue.Good luck & let us know.With real CMP's becoming rare,we Canucks & you guys in Europe will make Tamiya & Italeri very rich.
Old 28-02-03, 10:27

Thumbs up Re: Re: do I see C8 Ambulance variant?

Quote:
The one i have has been laying on the shelve for a couple of years now. I would be happy to donate it to you, at the cost of shipment ofcourse. As a matter of fact, if you are not too sure about the "fiddly bits", i can build it for you, in the marking of your vehicle. See the tread http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...=&threadid=131 for an impression of my previous work.

Martin.
Thanks Martin, sounds too good to be true. Will contact you off line and discuss further.

Ian
Old 28-02-03, 19:31
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Just for info - the Italeri kit is for the CMP based on a Chevy chassis, while the Tamiya kit is a Ford. Just depends what you want to build - all three of mine are Italeri based , and I think that this is the better kit.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 12-03-03, 18:30

Default tamiya

I have built 2 of the Tamiya "QUADS" and matching limber,gun &soldier sets. quite respectable but haven't seen any of the other kits to compare.
Ray
Old 14-03-03, 10:49
MLU Administrator

Default Re: More 1/35 CMP kits

Quote:
There are some more models of CMP´s in 1/35 scale. The (probably French) company "La Hoche" released a couple of 15 CWT variants some years ago.
I understand "La Hoche" no longer exists. An alternative is offered by the Czech firm PlusModel. They offer two conversion sets based on the Italeri 15-cwt kit: a Chevrolet C8A HUP and a Chevrolet C8A HUW.
Old 14-03-03, 20:50

Default Great stuf!

Hee Hanno,

It apears that i have been away from the modelling "scene" for way too long! Great site from Plus Model. Huge amount of great diorama accesories. The HUP and radio conversions are at least very similar to the La Hoche ones.
I will try to make a couple of pics of my C60 conversion.

Martin.

(p.s any news on the c15?)
Old 15-03-03, 13:18
Alexander Borgia

Default Re: Re: More 1/35 CMP kits

Quote:
I understand "La Hoche" no longer exists. An alternative is offered by the Czech firm PlusModel. They offer two conversion sets based on the Italeri 15-cwt kit: a Chevrolet C8A HUP and a Chevrolet C8A HUW.

For those who would prefer to pay in water fowl, these can be had from The Barrel Store.... http://www.bentbutnotbroken.com/