MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 22-01-07, 18:04
Mr. HUP

Default Starter Kit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Yeo
Thats right Rob start him off on a dodge and up grade him to a CMP!
Gordon,

Yes, the Dodge is a good starter project. Had I given him the HUP, he would be in therapy for years...
Old 23-01-07, 02:37

Default Recovery from St Jerome.....

Lets set the stage......

....tip for the location of the truck(s) came from Hanno

We started our day at -27 Celsius, our coldest recovery yet, and last I hope for the Winter.

Connextions for the trailer were frozen and we used an electric paint stripping gun to thaw things out.... 2 hours we were in St Jerome...... stange hardly a soul on the roads.

The lot included a 50% complete resto of a C15a with yet to run rebuilt 261...... extra tranny, 2 rads, extra trasnfer case.... almost enough to make a second truck including the extra rolling chassis.

Best frame was sandblasted and done in two part epoxy... sheet metal very straight.... minimum Swiss cheese rust.

Basically took two trailer load and two pick up truck load...

First picture.... proud new father with baby.....
Attached Thumbnails
im003637enlresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 23-01-07, 02:38

Default second picture....

half of the parts load in the back of my Furd truck.....
Attached Thumbnails
im003638enlresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 23-01-07, 02:40

Default 3rd picture....

part of the stach on the ground prior to loading
Attached Thumbnails
im003619resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 23-01-07, 02:49

Default 4th picture

This is the second load...... we finish a qyick unload at 9:30 and we did leave the last load on the trailer for next weekend.

The better truck is inside the wood shed for protection.

Sorry Mike if we cut you off at the pass.... we paid good bucks but are confindent that we got our moneys worth.

Yours truly got himself a set good gas tanks and the rolling frame with a good bumper for my cab 11.... ot tomention the spare M101 trailer box whcih was part of the deal.... as a parting gift we got the two almost new manuals he had purchased from our friend Alex and a large envelopes of all his parts and machine shop invoices.

Bob

:dh:
Attached Thumbnails
im003639enlresizedaabb.jpg  
Canada
Old 23-01-07, 03:35
Mr. HUP

Default Re: 4th picture

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
This is the second load...... we finish a qyick unload at 9:30 and we did leave the last load on the trailer for next weekend...
Yours truly got himself a set good gas tanks and the rolling frame with a good bumper for my cab 11.... not tomention the spare M101 trailer box whcih was part of the deal....
Bob and Grant,

Not a bad haul! A good deal for the both of you.

Coming to a store near you: "The art of the CMP deal" by Bob "Nacho" Carriere.

Now, let's talk about your buddy in Gatineau (further details by PM SVP!). I'll help you with the floors!

Rob

Last edited by RHClarke; 25-01-07 at 18:36.
Old 29-01-07, 01:39
Mr. HUP

Default Hammond Report

Right cold morning! Had to break out the quilted overalls as it was minus 21oC at 0700hrs. Lucifer warmed up the back end of the barn nicely (we work in the front end).

Today, we replaced one of the feet on the front of my clip (see photo). After that successful transplant, Bob respooled his welder for some delicate work. After punching out one hole on my kickplate, the Powerfist punch went TU. Most of the morning was spent on theorizing what went wrong. The drill press was then used to finish the job. Bob started filled the holes nicely, but we had a weld penetration issue. So, the panel was removed with love and care. At that time, it was suggested that we go for lunch...

Following lunch, Bob moved his newly acquired frame to the field. Followed by a general rearranging of the yard. Grant conducted his inventory and discovered a few challenges - but nothing out of the ordinary.

The remainder of my time at the barn was spent with Bob fighting with a mirror arm that would not extend. Out came the torches and after the lower arm turned red, we tried the old twist - no dice. The SOB would not move, so we took off the locking collar and opened the "vents" on the lower arm. It is now soaking in penetrating oil awaiting Bob's wrath.

Not so much to report from the barn, but it remains a great day to be in the hobby!
Attached Thumbnails
foot.jpg  
Old 29-01-07, 02:58

Default Penetration......

....is the big issue...... did we or didn't we.

Trying to replace the foot panel in the nose piece using 18 gauge satin coat steel. we can tack weld around the perimiter easy enough but it would look nicer if we could similate the spot welds.

So we drilled small 3/16 holes in the drill press and scaled down the welder with .023 wire with gas. I can fill the holes beautifully but the panel came off easy as I did not have sufficient prenetration to the 1/8 thick angle iron beneath..... tied different heat rang..... gave up and reset the mig for .035...... did some test on scrap steel and angle..... got some good penetration at level 4 heat range..... tested in the wise with hammer and chisel.

Conclusion.... 023 is fine with small gap joints in sheet metal.... worked well on practice scrap..... .023 is almost like using a gs welding torch.... I did the toe piece and you can control the puddle so easy....... fuses the two parts and fills the gap very well. But I prefer the .035 with higher heat to make sure it iis attached permanently.

By the way we cut out a new panel for you Rob...... you will need to fit it in carefully.... left a bit more metal on the top end where the other one was short.....

Any comments-suggestions from fellow welders are welcomed.

Boob
Canada
Old 29-01-07, 03:46
Addicted to Drab

Default Welding tip

Hi Bob

someone got a great haul......whooo CMP heaven.

I don't mind....it is 8hrs from here to Ottawa let alone jumping across the border....

Welding hint:

from what it sounds like you have to dissipate the heat quickly...I suggest you get a piece of copper plate and put it under the sheet metal. When you fill the hole the extra heat is drawn to the copper and keeps the bottom plate from melting through.

I hope this is a clear explanation.....I know what I mean, but sometimes it doesn't ttranslate well.

Cheers

Mike
Old 29-01-07, 21:53

Default Welding....

HI Mike

I am familiar with the copper plate behind to fill in hole.... and got quite good at it.
what I am trying to do is weld an 18 gauge sheet metal plate by tacking on to a 1/8 thick angle iron behind.

WE tried to drill 3/16 hole in the plate.... which exposes the angle iron behind..... trying to fill the hole with a puddle of melted steel to look like spot welding. Our problem is we fill in the hole with a very convincing puddle..... but the succker doesn't penetrate deep enough in the angle to make it solid...... as in hit it with a hammer and it pops out.

So we rejid\gged the mig wleder with 035 wire/gas and tried again...... with the 023 wire we tried heat range 2 and 3 with the 035 we used..... finally succesfully .... at heat range 3 and even better at 4...... this is on a large Miller 160.

I have found that you must hold the mig tip right centered on the hole.... make sure the angle behind it is sanded to bare metal.... and the sheet metal has to be clamped very tight with no air space .......... zap ...... and you have a nice puddle fused to the angle..... at least when I was practicing.

If you have an air gap between the plate and the angle you get a larger burned hole partly fused to the angle...... if you hit the hole slightly off centered and strike the arc with the sheet metal you get a nice half moon puddle.........

Danr it I may just go out and buyt a spot welder.... the only thing that keep me form doing so is the reality thatin replacing panels in an existing nose piece you would need some tailor made S shape electrode for almost every angle......

Any and all suggestions/comments welcomed......

Bob
Canada
Old 29-01-07, 22:09
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Welding....

Quote:
Any and all suggestions/comments welcomed......

Bob
Yeah, Boobee... pay a professional to come over and take care of it in 15 minutes... will save you a lot of aggravation...
Old 29-01-07, 23:15
Mr. HUP

Default Hmmm, I think otherwise

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Yeah, Boobee... pay a professional to come over and take care of it in 15 minutes... will save you a lot of aggravation...
The trials and tribulations (well appreciated at that) that Bob is going thru with the welding is that rare thing called "gaining experience". Bob always comes thru in the crunch, and we amigos cherish the opportunity to learn from his challenges. Given the great welding outfit he has, it is worth the time and effort to learn its full capabilities.

I really don't mind offering up my HUP clip as the "sacrifical lamb" because in the end, it will get welded up, and we can apply that knowledge to future welding projects.

Stay the course, Bob!
Old 30-01-07, 00:39

Default Welding Seminars

Welding Seminars

While I can agree to some extent on the idea of having a professional come in and do the welding. It is a little like the parable of teaching a man to fish. If you hire the work done its done but you still have to call the guy in the next time. If you learn how to do it then you can do it yourself.

To this end our local HMV group has been hosting welding seminars a couple of times a years. While we hold these hands on (or mask on) sessions in my shop I only demonstrate a few of the tools I have. The real teaching comes from a couple of professional welders in the club who really know the tricks of the trade.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 30-01-07, 03:01

Default Welding course......

I graduated from the Wackadoo School of welding.

some old guy, who believed in showing me how to fish rather than buying me fish and chips, encouraged me to buy a box full of scrap steel and then try to weld it together. I needed to learn how so I could build a dune buggy..... that's how long ago.

I learned to tell steel from cast iron by holding it to a grinding wheel and watching the sparks fly. Next step was to weld pieces together and take them over to the vise ... lock it in place and
"Wacked it" with a heavy hammer.... if it came apart it was not deep enough..... I did build roll bars for the VW eventually.

Later on I took night school course on stick welding and gas welding and panel beating in Centenial Toronto...... lots of book learning .... now I get a chance to practice. The mig welder did make me look better but I can still learn. Problem is that most courses I have seen are either too basic or too advanced......

...and the only way to really learn is to practice... practice...practice.... will waste more steel before getting back to Rob's nose clip.... and Grant will need some side panels done on his clip......

Maybe we need to tap into the Ottawa Rotter's to see who can show who new tricks........ I will try until I get it right!!!!

Bob
... the student!!!!
Canada
Old 30-01-07, 14:51

Default Re: Welding course......

Quote:
I graduated from the Wackadoo School of welding.

....I

...and the only way to really learn is to practice... practice...practice....
........ I will try until I get it right!!!!

Bob
... the student!!!!
Bob your correct about most important part the “practice”, I have to force myself to remember to practice before I start welding the "finished" product. I keep a scrap box in the corner of the shop where all the scrap steal goes and when its time to start welding on a fender or some other "visible" piece I grab some scrap of the same thickness and practice until I'm satisfied with the quality of the weld. Found that it actually takes less time than getting a lousy weld and spending a lot of time grinding it smooth.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-02-07, 18:24
Mr. HUP

Default All's Quiet on the Barn Front

Not much to report this week...
Bob was away making a deposit into his loved one's emotional bank account - good show, Bob, maybe she will let you play next weekend.

No news from Grant.

As for me, it was a good weekend to rest and spend a full weekend mit der frau und kinder.

Will report any progress made at next Sunday's Barn Day. By the way, if you are in the Ottawa area, and want to meet some of the Rotters, PM Bob or myself for details, and we will set up an RV at Chez Marie (Cheney Restaurant) around noon on Sunday. You can't miss us - look for three of the grubbiest and most contented restorers in the restaurant.

Cheers!
Old 06-02-07, 19:36
RIP

Default Re: Welding Seminars

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
It is a little like the parable of teaching a man to fish. If you hire the work done its done but you still have to call the guy in the next time.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for the day.
Give a man a Kalashnilov and he'll eat whenever he wants!
Old 06-02-07, 19:54

Default Is a ........

....Kalashnilov some kind of Polish sausage....????

.....is this a Polish joke??

You should joins us for breakfast some Sunday Clive.... you presence will give some class to the Chez Marie Restaurant.....

Bob.......
Duke of Hammond
Canada
Old 06-02-07, 20:15
RIP

Default Re: Is a ........

Quote:

You should joins us for breakfast some Sunday Clive.... you presence will give some class to the Chez Marie Restaurant.....
It will take a lot more than my presence to add class to Chez Marie.
Old 06-02-07, 21:57

Default That's not nice.....

........ Chez Marie is the best restaurant in Cheney......

BooB
Canada
Old 06-02-07, 22:05
Mr. HUP

Default I Resemble That Remark!

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
It will take a lot more than my presence to add class to Chez Marie.
Clive, you don't know how close to the target you are...Ask Bob how he orders his eggs...To be fair, our server is a nice gal who puts up with our antics.

Chez Marie is the only restaurant in Cheney (that I know of), and it could do with a little sprucing up, even if it is only you, Clive.

Hope to see you Sunday!
Old 06-02-07, 22:32

Default It goes like this....

... tickle the chicken 3 times..... my eggs snotty.... 2 little boys.... no taters I'm driving..... pair of brown toasts.... lots of budder...

....oh and tea....pleeze!!

Can hardly contain myself until next Sunday....

BooB
Canada
Old 11-02-07, 22:55
Mr. HUP

Default Frigid Day at the Barn

It was only minus 13oC, but it felt colder. Might have been the wind chill with the on and off again gale blowing outside...

Not much got done this morning other than clean up and reorganizing the goodies. The mirror arm refused to yield to the torch, so it was sliced open and peeled. Even after repeated attempts to remove the smaller arm, it refused to budge. So, it was cut off leaving us with a very very short arm (I can hear the gears grinding already...).

Noon hour saw Bob and I in our most perfect sartorial outfits grace Chez Marie with our presence. Lo and behold, we got a new waitress. She had the misfortune of serving us and of course when we ordered the "usual" she stared at us. The cook could be heard chuckling in the background. When asked to be more specific, Bob ordered his snotty eggs and two little boys...we experienced a sense of humour failure. Giving in to her withering glare, we specified our orders and were very careful to sort thru our plates when they arrived.

In the meanwhile, two geographically challenged authors entered our humble eatery: Clive Law and Mike Dorosh (spelin wern't me strong soot). Clive had followed thru on his threat and joined us at Cheney's best beanery.

After a careful lunch, we headed up to the Barn to show our new guest how the 1:1 scale modelers carried out their vocations. After a "shock and awe" session, Clive and company headed back to the safety of the Ottawa region.
Attached Thumbnails
guest 2.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 12-02-07 at 01:53.
Old 11-02-07, 23:00
Mr. HUP

Default Fun and Work at the Barn

We also managed to weld the foot plate to the front clip. After a few discussions on future ops, Bob headed out with the tractor to dump some kitty litter (believe me, he needed the tractor), and I headed for home.

A good day despite the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
clip ft plate.jpg  
Old 11-02-07, 23:15

That can't be Mike, must be a lookalike. The real Mike would be nekkid with a sporran and an SMLE... after all, he's a Calgary Highlander. You lads were taken in.

As an aside, Bob, you're delightfully filthy! At least I know that will keep Jessie away from you.....
Old 11-02-07, 23:19
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Frigid Day at the Barn

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
In the meanwhile, two geographically challenged authors entered our humble eatery: Clive Law and Mike Dorosh (spelin wern't me strong soot). Clive had followed thru on his threat and joined us at Cheney's best beanery

... With Michael being in town, will he be introduced to the fine sights of Gracies ?? ........ with of course, the 'after action' photos to follow said visit to that fine establishment ..... ???

Old 11-02-07, 23:19

Default Re: Frigid Day at the Barn

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Noon hour saw Bob and I in our most perfect sartorial outfits grace Chez Marie with our presence. Lo and behold, we got a new waitress. She had the misfortune of serving us and of course when we ordered the "usual" she stared at us. The cook could be heard chuckling in the background. When asked to be more specific, Bob ordered his snotty eggs and two little boys...we experienced a sense of humour failure. Giving in to her withering glare, we specified our orders and were very careful to sort thru our plates when they arrived.
Sheesh, sounds like you lads need some serious leadership. Crikey, and here I thought we'd brought you up properly. Tut-tut.
Old 11-02-07, 23:25

Default Re: Re: Frigid Day at the Barn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
... With Michael being in town, will he be introduced to the fine sights of Gracies ?? ........ with of course, the 'after action' photos to follow said visit to that fine establishment ..... ???

That'll be absolutely enough outta you, Mr. Tonner. If'n I can't be there, they're not allowed either.
Old 11-02-07, 23:42
Senior Forum Member

Exclamation Re: Re: Re: Frigid Day at the Barn

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
That'll be absolutely enough outta you, Mr. Tonner. If'n I can't be there, they're not allowed either.

.... I guess you don't want to know that I was actually there before you ......... look here .....
Old 11-02-07, 23:51

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Frigid Day at the Barn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
.... I guess you don't want to know that I was actually there before you ......... look here .....
That's OK, Mr. Tonner. SUNRAY always likes an Exec to pave the way for His formal appearance. You did a fine job, sir, and it IS appreciated.