MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-04, 19:32
former Resident Historian

Default Post-war conversions: C15TA to Tippers?

I am intrigued by several CMPs listed as 'GMC' as 'make' registered in Oldham Borough Council in 1947. These were 3-ton [60 cwt] 'Tippers', and yet the chassis numbers are all 8 4449 etc. i.e. C15TA chassis! Does this make sense that the armoured truck chassis were rebuilt with say a new cab and new body? WD numbers quoted include '158367', '158361', '158371', '158319', '158277', '158343', '158285', but these do not tally with any known series unless these were Mid-East allocations. Anyone ever heard of C15TA trucks being allocated such Census Numbers?

For Morris fans, here's one for you:

EBU 105 Morris (ex WD) Chassis 7511 56 cwt lorry 18/8/47 'C8AT1961FWD' whatever that means!
Old 04-08-04, 21:46

David,

Many years ago, there was an article or letter in the MVT club magazine, "Windscreen", about C15TA converted to dumptrucks, working in the West Country. I cannot lay my hands on it at present, but seem to remember the front end, ie cab and bonnet, was retained.

Regarding the Morris Commercial, sounds like a C8 Anti Tank portee, the FWD is obviously four wheel drive which ties in. As for the number "1961", well who knows. Some of these odd references may originate from the Ministry release notes which had to be produced to the Licencing Office. The writers were probably not mv enthusiasts with an eye for details as we are now!

Richard
Old 04-08-04, 22:14

Default C15TA Wrecker.

I know of a guy near Liverpool who is restoring a C15TA which had been used as a garage tow truck/wrecker.I havn't seen it but am told it had the armoured fron end but the rear armour had all been cut away.I'm afraid I don't have any further details and the guy dosen't have a computer.
Old 04-08-04, 23:07

Default Re: C15TA Wrecker.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
I know of a guy near Liverpool who is restoring a C15TA which had been used as a garage tow truck/wrecker.
Hi Matt,
You have just reminded me of a local garage using one with a breakdown crane in the back up until the 60's I think. That was at Wye in Kent.

Richard
Old 05-08-04, 12:14
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Post-war conversions: C15TA to Tippers?

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Does this make sense that the armoured truck chassis were rebuilt with say a new cab and new body?
Yes, it does make sense as there was a shortage of trucks and an abundance of armoured vehicles. There were many makeshift conversions, see a snow plough/wrecker near Perth on my C15TA survivors page. Another example is Mike Ebeling's Otter which had its rear body cut off and a crane grafted on.
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Many years ago, there was an article or letter in the MVT club magazine, "Windscreen", about C15TA converted to dumptrucks, working in the West Country. I cannot lay my hands on it at present, but seem to remember the front end, ie cab and bonnet, was retained.
If possible I'd like to hear more about this conversion.
Rated at 60-cwt, I wonder if the chassis/drivetrain was uprated?

H.
Old 06-08-04, 23:07

Default Re: Re: Post-war conversions: C15TA to Tippers?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
If possible I'd like to hear more about this conversion.
Rated at 60-cwt, I wonder if the chassis/drivetrain was uprated?
Hanno,
It was in a copy of Windscreen back in 1983. The article calls them Otters and also APC's, from the photos they are in fact C15TA. A fleet of 20 were bought in the late 1940's to be used in a quarry in Chipping Sodbury. Initially used to tow equipment around they were all later converted to dumptrucks to haul stone. From the photo I would say the bodies were from old Muir Hill dumpers. Bob Dunkerley of Dunkerley Transport, carried out the conversion.
At the time of the article, only two were left, in a scrapyard and they had lain there for 20 years.
Would guess the bodies were about 3 cubic yard capacity making a payload of around 3-4 tons.

Richard