MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-01-05, 19:02
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Nigel Watson

Our dear friend has just suffered a catastrophe... I just got off the phone with him and post this with his permission. Read and weep:

Quote:
Gutted: blaze destroys hangar full of vintage vehicles

A massive aircraft hangar near Perth, filled with “irreplaceable” vintage, classic and military vehicles, was completely destroyed by fire today .
The contents of the warehouse represented the livelihood of Nigel Watson, a Dundee businessman, well-known in tennis circles.
It seems unlikely that anything will be salvageable in the aftermath of the devastating blaze, which left the huge hangar buckled.

Firefighters were called out to Dalcrue, near Almondbank, around five miles from Perth, shortly before 6.30 am.

When they arrived at the 100-metre by 50-metre warehouse, it was clear fire had taken its grip and the building had been ablaze for some time.

Crews used an aerial ladder to tackle the fire as a partial collapse had made any internal work potentially very dangerous.

“The corrugated steel building, which contained vintage vehicles, had been burning for a considerable period by the time we were called out at 6.28 am,” said a fire brigade spokesman.

“A full cordon was set up and a partial collapse meant we had to fight the fire defensively from the outside with the aid of an aerial platform.”

At the time of going to press, fire crews were undertaking a further risk assessment at the site and were involved in damping down.

However, it was clear that most, if not all of the hangar’s contents, had been completely destroyed by the blaze.

Mr Watson leased the hangar from Scone Estates and the contents represented his livelihood.

“The warehouse was filled with vintage, military and classic vehicles, some of which are irreplaceable,” he said.

“It was a private collection and there were some rare vehicles.

“I do not really want to say how many vehicles have been destroyed and it is too early to even give a ball-park value,” Mr Watson continued.

“I was at home when I received a call about the blaze — it is very upsetting.

“The vehicles were in pretty good condition and were used in shows and exhibitions — it was my livelihood,” he added.

An investigation into how the blaze started is being carried out.

*In 2002 Mr Watson drove a Bren gun carrier at the 60th anniversary of El Alamein in Perth. It is unclear whether it was one of the vehicles destroyed in today’s fire.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/ou...6718471t0.shtm

Please join me in offering warmest regards to Nigel et al. I cannot imagine such a thing happening.
Old 18-01-05, 19:10

Default I'm really sorry to hear that.

Sorry, Nigel.

I can't think of any way to help, but if there is anything just mention it. Nothing else to be said that would help at all, I know.
Old 18-01-05, 19:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Tragedy!

My deepest condolences to you, Nigel.

What an awful thing to happen.

Keith

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 18-01-05, 19:16
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

BTW, the reason you haven't heard from him is that he upgraded his Windows and hasn't been able to get in since. I've reset his account and hopefully we'll see him again shortly.

I should also mention that while his Dingo was destroyed, his carrier ('Zammerhuud') is intact on his farm. Small mercies I know, but nonetheless...
Old 18-01-05, 19:41
Vets Dottir

Default Nigel ...

Nigel,

I was so sorry to hear about this too ... ... wish I could back-track time to pre-fire for you and the others who lost their vehicles and things, especially the sentimental irreplaceable bits of history that went up in smoke. I would if I could.

BTW ... it was very good to talk to you today but sad to have the talk be about the fire.

Karmen.
Old 18-01-05, 19:54
AKA Roger Hull

Nigel:
Please accept my deepest condolences.
No mere words can express my sorrow for your loss.

Sincerely,
Roger Hull in Las Vegas
Old 18-01-05, 20:04

Sadly my pride and joy was at Nigels too, awaiting a small repair to enable me to get it home again.
Now all that is left of CH5582457

Attached Thumbnails
PICT0135r.jpg   PICT0138r.jpg  

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 22-10-13 at 23:59. Reason: fixed link
Old 18-01-05, 20:40
In Vino Veritas

Default JEEBUS CRIPES

I am just SICK for you guys!! What else can I say but that is just shitty. I doubt I can do anything but if I can let me know and its done.! On the side ,Jimmy, the sheetmetal appears to be in good shape, I would have thought it would have melted right up though a HUGE repair for sure. YOu'd have another huge story to tell if you restore her again. I am just sick.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 18-01-05, 21:26

Default Condolences is the right word

Sorry to hear about the magnitude of your loss Nigel. Any of us who have worked on restoring a vehicle(s) can begin to appreciate the loss and frustration of seeing years of work gone.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 18-01-05, 22:46
Dog Robber

Default Phoenix rising from the ashes

Nigel:
I would like to add my condolences to those of the others.
However, I will tell you a true story that may give you at least some heart.
When I moved from the state of Connecticut to the State of Georgia, my employer at the time, SAAB, allowed me to store my vehicle collectio of the time in an unused sheet metal barn similar to your hanger, with two roll to the side doors. They had built a huge warehouse, which was part of my responsibility, on a former farm and the barn for some reason was left standing.

In that barn were two 1974 American Motors Matador coupes, a 1974 Chrysler ex police car, two 1956 Ford trucks, a pickup and a panel truck, a 1938 short wheelbase International schoolbus, a 1958 Mercedes 220Se coupe. I was told some months after I moved that they had decided to raze the barn and I had to arrange for the removal of the vehicles. I had a friend/co-worker get the keys to the doors and hire a tow truck.

When they arrived at the barn, all the locks had been broken, the doors were still shut and what they found inside made them sick as well I was a bit later when they called. Every vehicle had been vandalized to the extent that they were hardly recognizable and not that restorable as they were "collectable" vehicles, not "collectors" vehicles. Every panel on every vehicle had been smashed by sledge hammers, every piece of glazing was totally smashed, all interiors were destroyed, tyres slashed etc. All that was easily removable from the motors had been removed and smashed. They were essentially junk. My friend salvaged what he could and had it sent here.

Now, some years later, I have four "collectible" cars in my own yard under my own watch that I will some day finish restoring including two 1956 Ford pickups which will inherit some of the bits from the earlier ones, and two 1969 Chevrolets. One is a former police car and one is a panel truck that was a Fire Department rescue vehicle.

I realize that my vehicles were not something that I made my living off of but I hope you get my message that it is not necessarily all over and one can start again. Knowing your reputation for faithful and careful restoration I certainly hope that you do get right back to it.

Regards,
Bill
Old 18-01-05, 23:25
MLU Administrator

Unhappy damn!

Nigel, Jim,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your vehicles. Good to hear 'Zammerhuud' was safe on the farm and no-one was hurt physically, although this is of little consolation to you. Let us know if and how I can help!

Hanno
Old 19-01-05, 00:19
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default History repeats

Often our collections appear in photos to recreate some aspect of history. Sadly, the pics of Nigel's shed looks remarkaby similar to a pic that David Hayward posted of a firebombed factory full of assembled CMP's . That's taking re-enacting too far for me.
We witnessed similar scenes over here a couple of years ago with bushfires causing untold damage. Vehicles had been stored away from theives and vandals, but also away from rapid response by fire crews. Often the vehicles are also stored side by side with the accoutrements of vehicle restoration: Paints, Solvents, Welding Gases, Fuel, NOS parts in waxed cardboard boxes. (Anyone reading this might take a moment to consider how fireproof your own workshop is right now!) Nigel, while it is probably apparent to you that much of your collection is irretrievably gone, there is still joy to be had from your hobby. I know of an owner here who lost a signifigant collection of vehicles to bushfire. After he got his insurance payout, he was able to build the shed of his dreams and has spent the last couple of years rediscovering the joy of accumulating parts and restoring vehicles again. He hadn't done too much of that prior to the fire because he had his collection to a stage where he felt he didn't need to do any more and it was stagnating. Rebuilding the collection has taken him back to the fun days of seeking out treasures and bringing them back to life. And there was no shortage of friends to help out. While physical assets have a price (hopefully insured), it's those friendships that prove priceless.
Old 19-01-05, 00:35
Ross

Default Fire xx

A sad, shocking sight. Tony Smith is right about materials. Garages around the world ignite regularly from these causes. The fire codes are different in countries. Was there a requirement for sprinkler system(s) here? Sizeable collections dissolving like this ..... sad for tomorrows collectors.
Old 19-01-05, 01:18
British Indian Army

Default Many thanks for support you guys

Its awful and thankfully no one was hurt. The press stories although putting over the tragidy of this were inaccurate in some areas. The 60mx36m hangar was completely gutted by fire which had been going for some time. The collection as they put it was not all mine but vehicles from members of the Scottish Military Vehicle Group. Jims CMP, Johns Matador and 3.7, Peters GMC and Four Wheel Drive Snowplough, Garys K5, the Groups Green Goddess, Charlies Commer Q4, my Dingo and my carrier trailer. Kens Communication Trailer survived as did partially another 4 wheeled trailer. All my SA Fords were burnt and their parts destroyed. I also had a fair amount of kit including mannequins and a fullsize display horse.
Because the building stayed intact it acted like an oven and all heat retained until the roof buckled and collapsed onto the Matador, K5, CMP, Commer. The CCTV cameras on the outside were ok! All their recordings were burnt. Just awful and now we prepare ourselves for the insurance phase.
I'll try and post photos some time when I feel stronger. Jim and all the guys who lost so much have been great and I,m sure we,ll move forward in due course.

Nigel
Old 19-01-05, 07:04
West Coaster

My most deepest sympathies.

Rgds
JD
Old 19-01-05, 20:40
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Sheesh..!!

Nigel.
What a shocker..
Insurance can't replace love and feelings for you losses..
Best in the future..
Alex and Dot
Old 20-01-05, 05:37
Art Johnson

Default Your loss

Nigel, when I saw Geoffs heading for this post I thought that you had bought the farm thank God that didn't happen, It is certainly bad enough that you have lost all those vehicles and I know that our little group will be the worst for it.
I recall meeting John and his Matador in Holland in 1995. He was dressed in his kilt, I forget the Tartan but he said that his father had been in an Ack Ack unit.
You have my condolences for you loss.

Art Johnson
Old 20-01-05, 05:38
Richard Notton

Default Re: Many thanks for support you guys

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel
Its awful and thankfully no one was hurt.
Indeed so, but its a woeful loss all the same for you and everyone involved.

I have informed Dave and Rory Ballard, they join with me in sincere condolences, I doubt there is anything of substance we can do, however, you know where we are.

R.
Old 21-01-05, 15:59
M38A1 CDN3

Default Your losses

Nigel, with me being "just a CMP owner", not a restorer, I can imagine the range of emotions that you must be experiencing.

If something similar (God forbid) ever happened to my vehicle, I'd be beside myself, so, in a small way, I can offer empathy and hope for the future.
Old 24-01-05, 21:46

Default Sorry to learn

Nigel

What can I say
Our thoughts are with you guys.
If there is anything we can do to help just call and will come up.

The Ex Bletchley Park Boys

Barry Read
Old 24-01-05, 22:15

Default OCMPC

Nigel

I behalf of the guys here in Oxfordshire I send you our thoughts at this trying time.

As restorers and owners we can feel the sense of loss and frustration you must feel.

Pete
Old 27-01-05, 11:18
British Indian Army

Default Cold light of day

Peter, Barry, Jon and all many thanks for your offer of help. I suppose as I now reset my priorities I will be looking for a large number of parts and manuals, primarily for my CMP and Ford trucks which although burnt were not subdued to the enormous heat the complete vehicles were. They were in a different section of the hangar. If its ok with Geoff I'll post a list of some of the main items for you to look out for for me if you don't mind.
I'm going to Stoneleigh this weekend to have a look. In the meantime I am looking for 1940, 41, 42, Ford Manuals for the 01T range and the G8T trucks military. Lost all my originals and CMP manuals. Hanno I'm afraid the CMP C60X manual was amongst them, thankfully I hadn't transferred all my carrier and collection up there which was my intention!
Thanks again everyone

Nigel