MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 19-10-06, 23:43
MLU Administrator

Default As good as new...

...in June 1946.

Rows and rows of CMP truck at Deelen airfield, waiting for new owners, serving both military and essential civilian services.

Source: http://www.anpfotoarchief.nl
Quote:
beeldnummer 69199
beelddatum 10-06-1946
beschrijving DEELEN:-Zo goed als nieuw: trucks, trucks en nog eens trucks. Het vliegveld van Deelen staat vol met legermaterieel dat over is gebleven na de oorlog. ANP PHOTO G. V.D.. WERFF Deelen

Update: https://www.anpfoto.nl/ Beeldnummer 302997265

Name:  69199.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  15.8 KB

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 12-11-21 at 12:09. Reason: Edited to update
Old 19-10-06, 23:51

Here is another I found from the same source by putting Ford & Chevrolet into the search box.

Looks like an 11 cab CMP being used by the German Army. Sorry can't read the caption as it is double dutch to me

Cheers
Cliff
Attached Images

Old 20-10-06, 13:59

Default Deelen Airfield

Hanno,
There was an article in Wheels & Tracks (no 55) a few years ago showing some amazing images of Deelen airfield stacked out with M.V's of all sorts (CMP's everywhere) during 1946/47. There is also mention of Holland's other vehicle parks, i.e Soesterberg and Stroe. What are the chances of reproducing these images here, as not all forum members would have seen them ?
Keith
Old 20-10-06, 15:54
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Deelen Airfield

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Orpin
...... What are the chances of reproducing these images here, as not all forum members would have seen them ?
Keith... what, and have us all crying in our soup? I can see it now... The Great MLU Cry-In of 2006... my reputation would be ruined!

Old 20-10-06, 16:19

Default Deelen Airfield

Geoff,
No intention of ruining your reputation, 'O' great one.
The idea was to show similar images, as to the one that Hanno posted, not the ones of mass distruction !(I have a tear in my eye every time I look at those images)
Keith
Old 20-10-06, 17:51
former Resident Historian

Default German # 11 Cab

I wish that that truck was one of the 50 or so F15s left behind in Normandy in 1940 by the Canadian 1st Division. It looks to me as though it is winter...could it be 1940? The other thought is that it was captured in Greece, having been shipped from Alexandria. Any other thoughts please?
Old 26-10-06, 21:05
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
Looks like an 11 cab CMP being used by the German Army. Sorry can't read the caption as it is double dutch to me
Cliff, great find and spot on! The picture was taken on 8 May 1941 and shows German troops marching to Athens, the Thermopylae mountains are in the background.

This CMP truck could very well have been turned into a CMP Umbau-Wagen - we know 15 F15's were converted in Athens in late 1941!

H.

Quote:
beeldgegevens:
beeldnummer 66912
beelddatum 08-05-1941
beschrijving GRIEKENLAND - Duitse troepen op mars naar Athene met op de achtergrond het bergmassief Thermopylae. De vrachtauto links op de foto is geen standaard Duits legervoertuig, het is een buigemaakt Brits voertuig van Canadese makelij. Dat is te zien aan de plaats waar de bestuurder zit. Het is een Canadese Ford of Chevrolet. ANP PHOTO

ANP PHOTO GRI-410508-GRIEKENLAND
Old 26-10-06, 21:12
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Deelen Airfield

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Orpin
There was an article in Wheels & Tracks (no 55) a few years ago showing some amazing images of Deelen airfield stacked out with M.V's of all sorts (CMP's everywhere) during 1946/47. There is also mention of Holland's other vehicle parks, i.e Soesterberg and Stroe. What are the chances of reproducing these images here, as not all forum members would have seen them ?
Apart from scanning them from W&T magazine, I don't know of any sources except for the odd one turning up online like here. The pic below shows the armoured car section at Deelen.

Quote:
beeldnummer 69195
beelddatum 10-06-1946
beschrijving DEELEN- Een zee van oorlogsmaterieel, lichte en zware tanks, pantserwagens en vrachtwagens. Overblijfselen van de invasie, bezetting en bevrijding. ANP PHOTO G. V.D. WERF Deelen

Name:  69195.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  52.5 KB