MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 26-07-11, 11:01

Rich the Pig is straight, clean, original with no silly embellishments (fluffy toys, flags, things that an owner thinks makes it look more rambo like) & above all it is serviced correctly.

As you know vehicles like this don't just turn up all fine & dandy they need a lot of conscientious & persistent effort to get them that way & keep them that way. The point being that there were 6 or so Pigs that never even got to the show because of mechanical failure.

I was pleased with the trophy itself, we had 10 made & they cost about £35 each. So I think it is the most meaningful & valuable of any vehicle trophy that you get to keep that I have seen.

I find it always a bit of a struggle uploading things to get all the settings right. There is another clip yet to come. But for starters to get a flavour of the experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlhOg...layer_embedded
UK
Old 26-07-11, 11:23

So visibility in the Pig is even worse than the One Ton? At least the side vision is not hampered by the spare wheel, Hmmmm, where is the spare wheel, or are they runflats?
Noticed the dash illumination light is red, my Humber has a clear light, and the Champ is red. Take it that they should all be red?
Sounded good.
Now going out to rip off all my teddy bears, fluffy toy's and lacey ribbons.
Rich
Old 26-07-11, 11:24

Here's the other clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lLrE-0o3U
UK
Old 26-07-11, 12:11

Rich there is no spare, just runflats. I once drove on 0 psi on the fronts, couldn't see any difference but steering was a bit peculiar.

Never seen a clear lens, always red I thought. This is a Switchboard No.1 Mk 6, yours should be a Mk 1. Early versions of that had smooth domed coloured lenses.

I have never seen Mks 2-5 apparently they are entirely different unit altogether, which seems highly illogical.

Servicing is something that can slip or be inappropriate here are a couple of examples. I'm not saying when, where or to what Humber they relate.

Here the torsion bar tension is incorrectly adjusted as a result the nut protector tube is not done up as it hits the anchorage lever.

Here the classic mistake of assuming all lubrication points must be greasing points. The correct instructions are clearly given in the User Handbook its even there in my 1953 provisional edition.

UK
Old 26-07-11, 12:53

Yep, there is very specific instructions on how to lubricate the hubs, and I could not understand a word of it..... fortunatley another MLUer explained it to me in words of one syllable. I also have a jammed nut on the torsion bar adjuster, the wheel heights were all over the place, and strangley, three of the hub oil leaks have stopped, but a new one has started.
I also have the later start switchboard, well the later style lights at least.
I do like the sound of the B60 just after it passes by, thanks for the link.
Rich.
Old 02-08-11, 23:52
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fv1620 View Post
I dropped hints about another Humber, but they are all getting excited about next years 60 years of Champs. Even some of you are coming over & from many countries. I wish this sort of enthusiasm extended to Humbers. If you want a Humber fix look at Rogers 1601 metal repairs on the FV1600 forum. Superb.
FV 1600 Forum ?????????
Clive from a lonely hotel room in Greenock Glasgow tell me more. Pleeaaassseeeeeee
Old 03-08-11, 00:03

Wayne, oh well its very exclusive, not sure whether the moderator would accept you, I'll see what I can do if you like to apply for membership.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HUMBER-FV1600/
UK
Old 04-08-11, 00:17
Wayne

Very exclusive and now confirmed and signed my life away to join group.

Can you put in a good word for me please???
Old 04-08-11, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV1611A View Post
Can you put in a good word for me please???
I just have
UK
Old 05-08-11, 17:40
Wayne

Thanks very much!
Old 15-08-11, 16:59

So why did the Australian 1 Ton Humbers get downgraded to 3/4 Ton Humbers?

When they were FFR? In 1962 or earlier?

Or is it typo/error or re-interpretation as in Humbers designated as Commers still being called Humbers?

Still CT I notice, UK ones got re-classed as GS.

UK
Old 16-08-11, 23:26

G'day Clive.
New one on me, I assume that the radio's, mast and batteries weigh 1/4 ton? Leaving a payload of 3/4 ton.
ARN listing shows no change of weight classification, according to my calculations there were 14 FFR in the Australian Army, which would be one FFR to ten GS.
Yet to see any Army reference to these trucks as a "Commer".
These days it's hard enough saying "No, not Hummer, HumBer" without going down the "actually it's a Commer" route with the ensuing explanations.
Rich
Old 17-08-11, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
These days it's hard enough saying "No, not Hummer, HumBer" without going down the "actually it's a Commer" route with the ensuing explanations.
Quite

I had enough difficulties when I had the Pig at a show last week.
FAQ 1 Is it a Saracen?
FAQ 2 Is it based on a Land Rover?

I was in for a double dose as I had the Shorland there as well
FAQ 1 Is it home-made?
FAQ 2 Does it float?

Anyway, so I wonder whether it was just Humber FFRs that were downgraded? Or perhaps the typist thought it was based on a Land Rover!!
UK
Old 17-08-11, 09:35

Nice pics Clive,
Rarely has a military vehicle been so aptly named, particulary in the buttoned up mode.
My youngest would like to know what the visibility is like, Pig vs Humber GS.
The Shorland is an unusual looking beast, I can see why the floating question is asked. Never seen the rear view before.
Both are vehicles that do not exist over here of course, shame really. Maybe you should send one over....
Rich.
Old 17-08-11, 09:56
Rick Cove

Rich,
There are both Humber Pig and L/R Shorland out here. There is/was a Pig in Melbourne about 10 years ago. One Mike Warrick was/is the owner.

A Shorland was seen at the third Avalon Airshow.( It may have been a Tim Vibert import.)

regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 17-08-11, 12:35

Well I'll be.....
Will have to keep an eye out, would love to see the Pig, wonder which state it is in.
Think clive will still have to send another over, we could start breeding then.
Rich.
Old 22-08-11, 13:19

Default Exhausted Humber

As discussed earlier, the exhaust manifold on the Humber is problematic, and after my re-re-re-welded "Y" cracked again I have replaced it with a set of extractors. Hardest part of the project was finding someone local willing to do the job, fortunatley there is a guy in Albury who has surpassed my expectations. With a new system to match, and the elctronic ignition ready to fit I am determined to have a Humber that is as close to affordable to run as possible!
Pics enclosed: before and after.
No changes where made to the truck itself, and all the removed parts have been kept for posterity.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Humber exhaust manifold (2).jpg   extractor 001.jpg   extractor 003.jpg  
Old 22-08-11, 21:37
WO8 C15A 142736

Looks good Rich it should breath a lot better now.
Old 23-08-11, 12:48
Rick Cove

Hi Rich,
I hope that your contact has kept a drawing set of the extractors. Whilst I don't need a set yet, who knows when they will come in handy.

Having done that, I guess your not considering a river crossing in the near future, so can I have your snorkel, please.
Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
KVE Member.
Old 23-08-11, 14:43

Hi Rick,
Bad news, no plans, one off custom job, Good news the guy who did the extractors thought it was a good job to do, because there was plenty of room, so not as time hungry as a lot of his work.
(also due to the logistics of getting the truck to and fro, he had at the very least a week to do it. I supplied a manifold gasket which they had used as a template for the laser cut flanges, so all the parts were sitting on the bench before I took the truck in.)
I spoke to our local Mustang restorer (also fellow Jeep & Blitz owner) who put me onto the only guy in the area whom he trusts with this sort of work. Must be a guy down your way who would do similar work?
Snorkel remains firmly bolted in place, awaiting spring floods.......
Rich.
Old 03-09-11, 23:13
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
As discussed earlier, the exhaust manifold on the Humber is problematic, and after my re-re-re-welded "Y" cracked again I have replaced it with a set of extractors. Hardest part of the project was finding someone local willing to do the job, fortunatley there is a guy in Albury who has surpassed my expectations. With a new system to match, and the elctronic ignition ready to fit I am determined to have a Humber that is as close to affordable to run as possible!
Pics enclosed: before and after.
No changes where made to the truck itself, and all the removed parts have been kept for posterity.
Rich.
That Manifold is a work of art even though it is not original.

On existing manifold scenario I believed that Brazing was the long term solution on castings as a weld cannot handle the heat in the same way and always cracks quickly afterwords.

Whilst your replacement looks resplendant a professional repair on the original manifold may come good in the future.

I guess due to nature of repair not a cheap solution, but your repair looks more like exhaust sculpture anyway
Old 04-09-11, 02:59

G'day Wayne.
The decision to go non standard was not an easy (or cheap!) one.
However, the exhaust system itself was a combination of differing sizes and originality, and needed replacing, it was not possible to get a NOS "Y", and even if I fabricated one myself it would not be out of cast iron. So , the "originality" became a moot point for me. Mind you it took three years to make the decision.
There are better products for repairing cast iron these days than brazing rods, however since the original repairs were done this way it really precludes using anything else, particulary with a shape like this where you can not remove all the contaminated material.
Cast can only be welded so many times, last attempt it was cooled over 18 hour period, cracked within the week.

I must say that the 30 km trip home after I picked the old girl up was a bit of a worry, cost me over half a tank of fuel, was down to about 4 cylinders and blowing smoke like you would not believe. Kidded myself that it was due to the change in dynamics caused by my lovely new system, but was having serious doubts when I finally Huffed & Puffed into the shed. Halfway through changing out the plugs I had a brain wave and looked at the carby. The workshop had started the truck using the cold start (which it never needs) and it had jammed full on at the carby, was looking me in the face all along.

Been sitting in the shed since, while fitting the electronic ignition from Jolley Engineering. Similar decision process to above. Finished last night, quite shocked to actually have it start. If you knew what you were doing, this would be about a half hour job, I managed to drag it out way longer than that. Start was very quick and easy, 90% less smoke billowing out at the rear end. Plugs are set with a huge gap, so the spark is very intense. Test drive showed a much more lively truck, does not stop dead soon as you back off. Looking forward to doing some miles in it in the next month or so and see how much improvement there really is.

Thanks to Clive for the extra info on fitting this system: http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/IGNITIONMATTERS.pdf
it was most helpful indeed!
Rich.
Old 06-09-11, 09:12
Wayne

Rich that is great news. I have heard a few tales on the forums regarding the cold start not being used or indeed sticking! I guess as they are little used they can seize up and become problematic....

I have a nice NOS cold start cable bought off that nice man in Salisbury of Humber fame and I suspect it will be a dash feature for correctness.

Of course when I fix mine up it may be one of those engines that needs a rich start??? Time will tell
Old 06-09-11, 12:25

Default humber pig

this is a message for Clive...I have been offered the ex RUC Pig thats located in Pompie which has back axel problems and which you have advised the chap on..would the axel from 1 ton g/s Humber fit..our friend Doug in Elgin can supply me with same or could I get away with just changing the diffs etc...your advise is most appreciated best regards malcolm
Old 06-09-11, 13:22

Malcolm greetings. I have followed the history of this Pig in its various guises for the best part of 30 years. A few years ago it appeared on ebay painted grey displaying the registration 3071 EZ & claiming to be ex-RUC

This was not the registration of the vehicle. EZ was belonged to a Mk 1 Pig used by the RUC, it was unique in that it was a FV1611 unlike the other 9 RUC Pigs which were FV1609.

I think a previous owner thought that the flat barricade ram bore a resemblance to the one on his Mk 2 Pig & assumed its identity. I pointed this out to the then seller informing him of the actual civilian registration. As this agreed with his V5 he believed me, removed references to ex-RUC in the advert.

It passed through a number of sales subsequently, but no doubt still has the grey paint underneath that might give the impression that it had seen RUC service.

The RUC did have three Mk 2 Pigs in the mid-late 1970s but the one being offered is not one of those.

The transfer boxes are different.
Pig 1.41:1
GS 1.33:1

Axle ratio
Pig 5.71:1
GS 5.57:1

I am told the present difficulties are due to a damaged diff pinion wheel. I believe the pinion & crown wheel are the same for Pig & GS.

The rear joints on the GS will be Tracta whereas Pigs were originally fitted with Chobham joints. The Chobhams proved unreliable in their duties in NI as the retaining clips for the articulating pad were prone to failure.

In desperation some Pigs were fitted with GS Tracta joints & indeed some were actually re-manufactured for this role.

Subsequently the stronger Birfield joints were fitted. However they ran out of the special steel so there were 104 Mk 2 Pigs that were not fitted with Birfields. So without dismantling the joints there is no knowing whether a Mk 2 Pig was fitted with Birfield, Chobham, Tracta or a combination of any of these.
UK

Last edited by fv1620; 06-09-11 at 15:19.
Old 06-09-11, 21:34

Default humber pig

aye Clive many thanks for the prompt reply and greetings from the frozen and windy north..yes I knew about the tracta joints from your article in the windscreen mag..however I thought I might get away with just swapping the complete axels over..I dont plan any long journeys..best regards malcolm
Old 08-09-11, 11:03
Rick Cove

Default Her's a few from yesteryear.

Be interesting to find out if any of these still exist.

http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?s=93

Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
KVE Member.
Old 08-09-11, 11:32

Rick maybe the white one became this?

UK
Old 17-09-11, 12:35

Default Snoooorkel

Just came across these Humber pics that I have not seen before, The Wading Humber not only has the snorkel, but an extension as well! I feel sort of inadequate now.....Great shot though, with a good veiw of the uncovered rear framework. (Rick C, note the corner bars are flats, not round like the rest. All the "North South" fittings are in two peices for storage in the front rack when frame is taken down) I also note that the tailgate is open during the test to unload that extra ton or so of water.
Anyone know what the "61" on the door signifies?

KYW 98 is of course #2 prototype with the unsplit roof hatches. This was the model used for the Dinky Toy version, which brings me back to the source for these pics:

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/cgi-bin...7668&page=2060

Some other more common photos on this site, and if you go to the following pages some nice Austin K9 pics.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Humber wading.jpg   Humber proto.jpg  
Old 18-09-11, 00:23
Rick Cove

Thanks Rich.

By the shine on the roof under the hatches, it looks like she needed that extention. Thats some DEEP water fording.
Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
KVE Member.