MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-10-21, 13:14
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Great thanks. ive got a lot of white painting to do and its not my usual colour.
I have used the Gillespie White from Rapco on an M113A2, and it came out very well. Relatively cheap and forgiving. But if you go for the Tremclad oil based, it can be sprayed by using laquer thinner or Acetone to thin it.

Last edited by rob love; 20-10-21 at 18:59.
Old 20-10-21, 18:32

Default battery corner

Looking through all of this thread I still don't get the exact original layout/construction of whatever is under the battery boxes outside of the two wood supports. Metal pan above? Dimensions?
Old 22-10-21, 21:54

Default Thanks super Dave

Thanks for your help call text and pictures. Great help and thank Reg for me.
Old 22-10-21, 21:57

Default Fan voltage

Sitting in the wire 5 with the ceiling fan on and marvelling at the original ceiling fan working so well after I cleaned and oiled it it occurred to me that it might be 6 not 12 volt. It spins up on a fully charged battery. And idea if it’s 6 or 12 volts and if 6 would 12 hurt it?
Old 22-10-21, 23:53
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
Sitting in the wire 5 with the ceiling fan on and marvelling at the original ceiling fan working so well after I cleaned and oiled it it occurred to me that it might be 6 not 12 volt. It spins up on a fully charged battery. And idea if it’s 6 or 12 volts and if 6 would 12 hurt it?
The radio box was 12v and completely independent of the truck electrics which were 6v. The box fan, lights should all be 12v.
Old 23-10-21, 06:49

Default Thank you

Good info. Thx
Old 20-07-22, 19:07

Default Bedliner caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Thanks for posting the results of the bed liner on the roof. I have been considering this product for a few various van bodies to prevent egress of water.
I'll go back and post a warning but the Berliner failed after less than a year, I should have used a primer of some sort on the aluminium and the maple plywood for the treads delaminated horribly. I'll get it into my workspace and strip it all down to bare metal again and do some more research before doing it again.
Old 20-07-22, 19:30

Good afternoon Harry,

You may want to use caution sanding the aluminum bodywork. In the aircraft world, either chemical strippers or more exotic forms of blasting (dry ice etc.) are typically used for paint removal as for at least some aluminum structures have the surface of the panel has different propertied than the core.
Aluminum typically needs some form of etch before prime/paint. The etch can either be a preliminary treatment in advance of priming or in the form of a self-etching primer.

Eastwood has an article on prep and priming of aluminum (of course featuring their products...) https://garage.eastwood.com/diy-how-...SAAEgIo6vD_BwE

You may also want to look at www.Aircraftspruce.com for products intended for aircraft use such as https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...clickkey=12575 or more generally https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catego.../cs/index.html

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 20-07-22 at 21:06.
Old 20-07-22, 19:38

Default What a bummer after all that work....

Any pictures Harry????

I would check/chat with the firms that do install that liner, such as a local LineX, to see how they prepare the fresh factory paint to allows a permanent bond.... most dealers deal with a local after market contractor for that option....I had mine done on my Ford and when compared to the factory liner the local contractor did a better job of reaching/sealing very evenly in all corners.

They may be using some form of acidic or lye degreasing solution to remove any surface oil film or some other weird prep solution..

Let us know how youmake out.
Canada
Old 20-07-22, 22:20
carrier mech

I just finished painting an aluminum box shaped item. I sandblasted the sides, front and rear to bare aluminum and used the Endura brand primer. The salespeople said it would work fine on aluminum. I followed that with a coat of Endura gloss white, but they can mix whatever colour you want.
In my experience, this stuff adheres well. It isn't cheap mind you, but will not fade like the synthetic enamels we usually use in this hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01960.jpg  
Old 06-04-23, 17:59

Default Update on my wire 5 roof

I finally got ahead of other projects and got my wire 5 back in my workspace and assessed the damage from my poor choices.
First think I learned is I should have used a marine grade mahogany plywood. the ordinary plywood I used is 90% of the failure. The Bed liner seemed to stick to most of the aluminum and where it did fail was due to me not properly prepping the surface before hand. These pictures show the results. I got some good advice, got some good materials and I'm going to be on this roof for the next month at least.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7104.jpg   IMG_7105.jpg   IMG_7106.jpg   IMG_7107.jpg   IMG_7108.jpg  

Old 07-04-23, 15:35

Hi Harry.

That is indeed a sad looking roof on your WIRE-5. I hope you have not purchased any replacement plywood yet for it. Any choice of plywood you should make will be incorrect. It was simply not used in any of the original factory production of these bodies by Wilson. The product they used was 1/4-inch solid fibre board. What we drill holes into today and call ‘peg board’. The trick is, they cut it into strips and installed it upside down; the rough, checkerboard surface facing up, rather than the smooth finished side.

In the 1943 - 1944 time period these trucks were built, several factors played against the use of plywood for these strips. Any marine grade supplys of plywood would have been reserved for the Navy. The use of the newer glues developed by De Havilland to solve delamination problems with the Mosquito in humid climates were reserved for aircraft production. So that left the animal glue based standard plywood’s that everyone knew would not hold up.

Plywood comes in three grades basically, a construction grade where all plies are crap. Good one side with a good ply on one side only. Good both Sides with all the crap hidden in the middle. Marine grade plywood indeed uses water resistant glues but I doubt the grade of the interior woods is much better than standard plywood. Cut into thin strips like you will require for your WIRE-5 roof will probably expose more flaws on the edges. It may take a little longer to happen but over time it would still start to rot out the wood bits.

The other problem is safety. These strips were added to the roof of the WIRE-5 to help reduce the risk of personnel slipping with wet, muddy boots and falling off the nice flat, smooth painted aluminum roof. How much safer would it be with rows of flat, smooth, painted plywood across the roof? They needed something better and as cheap as possible, and they found that with the fibre board strips installed upside down.

Back here in Winnipeg in the 1970’s, Princess Auto had a huge fleet of surplused WIRE-5s in their yard. They sold a lot complete but nearly 50 of them had the boxes removed to use as storage containers and the cab and chassis bits were sold off, oddly enough, as DODGE Trucks in their catalogues of the day. I combed through every single one of those boxes back then, collecting missing parts for my WIRE-5 restoration, including a complete accident write off vehicle sitting out near the front of the store. It was complete and very low mileage. The strips on its box roof, and 75% of all the others in their yard were 1/4-inch fibre board installed upside down. The rest were plywood and all looked like hell. The other interesting thing was most of the plywood jobs were on boxes with incorrect/repainted interiors, which led me to believe these vehicles had undergone a postwar military rebuild at some time using the cheapest possible materials chosen by people who did not understand the original design or purposes of the items being replaced.

David
Old 07-04-23, 22:56
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Harry.

That is indeed a sad looking roof on your WIRE-5. I hope you have not purchased any replacement plywood yet for it. Any choice of plywood you should make will be incorrect. It was simply not used in any of the original factory production of these bodies by Wilson. The product they used was 1/4-inch solid fibre board. What we drill holes into today and call ‘peg board’. The trick is, they cut it into strips and installed it upside down; the rough, checkerboard surface facing up, rather than the smooth finished side.

David
I suspect you need the "Oil-Tempered" Masonite (Hardboard in the UK), as used for construction siding, roof lining, and levelling uneven floors. It's available in 6mm thickness over here (UK), so I would expect 1/4" to be stocked in the US and Canada. It's waterproof (people apparently made small boats and dinghys with it in the 1940s and '50s), whereas 'hardboard' is not and will swell badly when it gets water on it. (The tempering involves linseed oil and baking to polymerize it, but it's possible that the modern version has been cheapened by spraying rather than dipping the sheets.) Worth checking though, and it will take oil-based paint or varnish without difficulty.

Chris.
Old 08-04-23, 03:12

A variation of that material I was not aware of, Chris. Thanks for the update.

David
Old 16-05-23, 20:16

I put in the original brass light fixtures for the 12v lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
19BFBEB9-A02C-4F13-85CD-0C8121A7E8B5.jpeg   299D09C1-E896-4D73-B49C-88C68EF7B869.jpeg  
94 LSVW
Old 16-05-23, 20:18

And removed the temporary 120 v temporary lights. All original now.
Attached Thumbnails
CD742F09-3B52-407B-8F37-BAC0675C250E.jpeg  
94 LSVW
Old 18-05-23, 02:43

Default original vs durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
I suspect you need the "Oil-Tempered" Masonite (Hardboard in the UK), as used for construction siding, roof lining, and levelling uneven floors. It's available in 6mm thickness over here (UK), so I would expect 1/4" to be stocked in the US and Canada. It's waterproof (people apparently made small boats and dinghys with it in the 1940s and '50s), whereas 'hardboard' is not and will swell badly when it gets water on it. (The tempering involves linseed oil and baking to polymerize it, but it's possible that the modern version has been cheapened by spraying rather than dipping the sheets.) Worth checking though, and it will take oil-based paint or varnish without difficulty.

Chris.
I have samples of the original materials which likely lasted about as long as this last roof. I am doing it so it will all out live me. Marine Grade mahogany coated in an equally marine grade 2 part epoxy. A marine grade adhesive and sealer and broad head Robertson screws one size up from the originals. A good all purpose primer compatible with those materials and then the truckbed liner which actually worked very well. Should outlive me this time!