MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 20-01-10, 00:34

Default Bofors 40mm platform carriages

Hi All,

Couple of Bofors questions...

I read that the main difference between the Mark 2 and Mark 3 platform carriages is that the brakes are on different axles (the fixed axle on the Mark 2, and front axle on the Mark 3). The shape of the tow bar seems to be different too (Closed in triangle shape on Mk 2, open girder frame on Mk 3).

Now, can anyone tell me if the tubular outriggers are different between the two marks?

I measured Mk 2 carriages here in Australia, and compared the scaled down dimensions against the Bronco Models 1/35 scale Bofors kit (which appears to be a Mk 3 platform, judging by brake position and towbar shape.). The lengths and diameter of the outriggers do not match, and the dimensions of the centre pedestal base are also smaller on the kit.

The kit seems otherwise flawless in measurements, which makes me wonder if there is actually a difference in the real carriage dimensions, rather than an error in scaling the kit.

Also, when a real Bofors is unloaded, is the live round withdrawn by hand out of the rear of the main body casing? ie the short empty case deflector has to be flipped up out of the way?

Thanks