MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 12-06-13, 03:28

Default T16 Identification Help Requested

Hi all, while I am not new the love of military machines, I am both new to ownership of a T16 and these forums, and any assistance in identifying what I have would be deeply appreciated.

I recently purchased this at a local auction in Michigan and was told it was a "1940 Universal Carrier." As I don't think T16s were made this early, I am assuming that the date of manufacture is actually later. There was a multilingual data plate that was included with but not attached to the vehicle that states a date of 1944 (maybe this was used by the Swiss?). For some reason, the grandson of the late owner was under the impression it was manufactured in Coventry. I've attached some photos, including some with numbers from the hull. I will upload a photo of the data plate tomorrow.

With respect to the solid wheels, it does not seem to be a common variant. Were these designed for a specific purpose or are they late war, or even post WWII?

Honestly, any help in identifying what I have would be appreciated.

Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
T161r.jpg   T16 Hull Tagsr.jpg   Front_Interior_platemetal_numbers r.jpg  
Old 12-06-13, 09:22
Adrian Barrell

Hi Anthony. Nice purchase!
All T16's were built by Ford in the US, presumeably in Michigan! The solid wheels are standard, just late production.

Look on the top edge of the armour plate directly in front of the driver. ISTR the date is stamped in there.