MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-09-16, 06:15
carrier mech

Default Interesting tire

I was searching on google for 9.00-16 tires and came across the image below. I can't find them on the companies website, but it sure would be nice iof these are in the 9.00-16 size, and DOT rated. I have some of the STA 10.50-16 tires, and they are just a little too big for my liking. Now these tires would fit the part for CMPs and the smaller armoured cars like the ferret and Lynx.
Attached Thumbnails
ferret.jpg  
Old 22-09-16, 08:40
Rick Cove

These are the 9.00x16" tyres we are putting onto my Lynx. They came from China via India to Queensland in Australia and on to me in Victoria.(Aust)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lynx Continues Tyres 021a.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	85230

Name:	Lynx Continues Tyres 024.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	85231

They are a bit bigger in circumference etc than the 9.25x16" which were on it originally but at the price, they will do me. They came with tube and rust band as well and dropped straight onto the Lynx 6 stud rims.

They are FORRESTER brand.

Regards Rick.

BTW They were only Aust. $1,600.00 for 5 delivered to my door.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 22-09-16, 14:28
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Rob, those look like a great find if you can locate the manufacturer. I agree, the STA 10.50-16 look incorrect and oversized on a cmp.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 22-09-16, 16:21

That's a lovely find Rob!

Quote:
I can't find them on the companies website, but it sure would be nice iof these are in the 9.00-16 size, and DOT rated.
Could it be their ZL 316 pattern??? Sadly I can't find that on their website either.

source: http://hfxtyre-export.en.made-in-chi...ruck-Tyre.html
Attached Images

Old 22-09-16, 17:41
carrier mech

I don't think it's the ZL316 pattern. Jordan did send me a link to where they have another photo of the tire in question. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...518240646.html
They are a dead ringer for the Dunlop trak-grip.

From what I gather, we would be looking at a minimum order of 100 pairs at $100USD per tire, so the initial outlay will be around $20K USD before shipping.

I need to investigate further, and see where this leads.
Old 22-09-16, 19:20
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I don't think it's the ZL316 pattern. Jordan did send me a link to where they have another photo of the tire in question. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...518240646.html
They are a dead ringer for the Dunlop trak-grip.

From what I gather, we would be looking at a minimum order of 100 pairs at $100USD per tire, so the initial outlay will be around $20K USD before shipping.

I need to investigate further, and see where this leads.
100 sets, which I read to be the tire, tube and flap. So now you only need 10k to buy in!
Old 23-09-16, 01:51
carrier mech

Here is a screen shot of the tire in question. I could not figure out how to copy it so I took a picture.

What we need is somebody in Canada to step up and make an investment and bring in the minimum 100 or so. That would cover 25 vehicles. Pretty sure I could take care of 5 sets myself between my stuff and the museum. I doubt the other 20 sets would last long and the importer would make a few dollars for his time.

Personally I would happily pay around the $250 range for fresh rubber in the right size and with the right tread. Seems I am paying more than that now for tires that are the wrong tread and the wrong size.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0011.jpg  
Old 23-09-16, 02:52
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Here is a screen shot of the tire in question. I could not figure out how to copy it so I took a picture.

Mouse on the image, right click, save image as. That should work unless the page coding is locked to keep people from filching the content.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 23-09-16, 03:07
3RD ECHELON WKSP

That would certainly be the answer Rob. The only other option on this would be to find the maker and see if the molds are still around/available or for sale.
If this is an out of production model, maybe the tooling is still around.
We found this issue with the tires for the M274 Mechanical Mule; the molds were out there from the original maker who had no interest whatsoever in producing another run. There was such a demand from collectors that Coker Tire bought the original factory molds and then took pre-orders before they batched up a run. Since the inception, they have made several runs to keep the original style tires available to collectors.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 23-09-16, 03:07
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

There is also a 9.00-16 desert tire (http://hfxtyre.en.alibaba.com/produc..._for_sale.html), that might be a nice choice for some (ie 11.00-16 for Andrew H).

Last edited by Tony Smith; 23-09-16 at 03:13.
Old 23-09-16, 03:28
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I wonder if you mix and match tread styles to make the minimum buy for an order (which looks like an amount to fill a 40ft container judging by the minimum of each particular size), or if you have to order the minimum in that tread pattern to start a production run?
Old 23-09-16, 05:00

A local importer out here on the west coast brought in a full container of 400 255-100 16 Yellow Sea tires made by the same company. They are tire, tube, flap and a Michelin pattern knockoff. The target market was the Power Wagon crowd and he has sold quite a few although there were apparently some issue with sending the to the US. Last I heard, 'dumping' was mentioned but I haven't kept up with the outcome. I did buy 5 of them for my M37 and have them mounted but not balanced. So far, I'm happy with them, and the rubber doesn't stink like the Princess Auto wheelbarrow rubber tires. Compared to Michelins, they were cheap at $300 each, out the door. I'm sure that left a decent profit for the importer and still was a lot cheaper than the $700 Michelins.

If you can get the pattern you want in a reasonable quantity, I think you would be happy with their product.
Old 23-09-16, 05:07

Default Funny you talk about tires (Tyres)......

Gentlemen: Glad I clicked in tonight. I was shopping around for a new set of 900 x 16's for my new HUP ZL, or if the price is right... 2 sets. Now with this entry, I'm just trying to figure out just how much are these costing per unit.
On a side point Chris....I beg to differ. I think a set of 10:50 x 16 STA's on a HUP look super cool. And that's from a 65 year old guy!
Anyways boys.....lets cut to the chase, if we can ALL get our S""T together world wide, I'll see about fronting the money for an order(s). All the ducks would have to be in order and I would not be doing it for nothing. I'm not Santa Claus and I think we had this subject beaten around the bush (or to death) with Wallace Wade Tires out of Texas.
I will work with the "Bargoon King" Rob Love on this project. He would have to do a lot of the back ground work. In as much as language, shipping, contacts etc., I can arrange all of that from Vancouver. I would do my best to arrange shipping to Vancouver (North America) and the possibility of Amsterdam/Rotterdam (Europe) and the UK. The more you order, the more clout you have. Simple....as.....that!
So given the home work to do and the serious commitment from the members....I await to hear from you all.
Cheers....Robert

PS: Rob....my apologies for volunteering your butt into all of this before asking. R
Old 23-09-16, 05:59

Default Damn....I forgot

Sorry guys...I forgot the lads in Oz and NZ. Robert
Old 23-09-16, 06:11
carrier mech

Actually rob, I thought you might jump in on this one. You are a businessman situated near the correct port to receive such a shipment, and at the same time I know you like to further the hobby when you can. I don't think anybody else is ready to front the loot for such an endeavor, so to that end I can't see anybody begrudging you if you happen to make a buck or two on the project. Capitalism is what makes North America great.

If their minimum order is 100 or 200, I suspect those would almost all be spoken for just in Canada before they even land. Just as I squirrelled away a spare set of the STAs, I think I would have to squirrel an extra set to go along with the 9 or 14 that I currently need. The museums needs would be much greater, although I would have to see what they would want to spend. There is also Arlon Bauer in Alberta, whose collection likely requires significant quantities as well.

The only thing that would make this whole order better would be if the company could make them so they fit the British (CMP) rims without any cutting of the rubber by the installer. I realize that with some rim slip and fancy techniques, the US style tires can be made to go onto the rims, but what a chore to get them off should a flat develop.

In the 90s, when ferret tires were readily available, I installed plenty of them onto CMP rims. I always liked the look of the correct size and correct tread pattern. Hopefully we can make this happen. Let me know what I can do Rob.
Old 23-09-16, 06:13
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Mouse on the image, right click, save image as. That should work unless the page coding is locked to keep people from filching the content.
Nope, it is locked. I tried a few various methods to no avail. Ended up taking a picture of the monitor with my camera, or as we technophobes call it, a screenshot.
Old 23-09-16, 06:37

Default Show time.......

Rob....thanks for the response. If we are to pull this off...I would like to focus on the 900 x 16 "chevron" pattern for now. The sand tires can come down the road. "Go big or go home" is my out look on this. If the boys are serious, so am I. But it all depends on the MLU Membership ....so if these tires/tyres work for you ....put your money where mouth is and rally to the cause. Or as thy say in Layman's Terms....."S'''t or get off the pot"!
Hanno .....how many sets can I put you down for? R.
Old 23-09-16, 06:49

Default Re

Hi Guys,

I'm with Robert Morrison on this one! I would love to get a full set of 9.00x16 Chevron's for my Fordson WOT2-h if it doe's not cost me a arm and a leg so let me know if anything come's of it.

Regards
Ian Mastin
Australia
1945 No4 Trailer (Fmc) (Restored)
1941 Fordson WOT-2H
194? G506 Chevy truck (Yankee Joe)
Old 23-09-16, 07:32

I'm in for 2 sets of 5 (total 10 tires) of the chevron 900-16 tires.

Here is a better picture of the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer

Last edited by Jordan Baker; 23-09-16 at 07:39.
Old 23-09-16, 07:34

Default Dear members.....

Guys....tell you what. If you're interested....tell me how many you'd like and from what country your from. Don't even answer this entry tonight. DO YOUR HOME WORK!!!!!! Quantity dictates the price. Once I have the locked in buyers, then and only then will I get a fixed and landed price.

R OBERT
Old 23-09-16, 07:54

Default Cost......

Guys.....Don't even go the "an arm and a leg" issue. All of this has to be worked out. Just tell me what you require, from what country you're from and we'll work it out from there. If you"re going to start kicking tires at this point.....I'm not interested! Robert
Old 23-09-16, 09:55
Tony Baker

I should probably chime in here.

Name:	20160724_162357-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	85250 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_162703-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	85251 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_162645-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	85252

The tyres above, that gave me so much trouble trying to fit them to CMP wheels, are Indian made, and were bought in as a mixed container full with two other styles. One of the two other styles, are the ones I refer to as 'civilian' pattern light truck tyres. Those ones are on my grey truck from purchase to now. While I can't comment on ease of fitting, I can say how they drive. Firstly, if the vehicle sits for any more than several hours, they develop a flat spot against the ground surface. Longer they sit, the worse the flat spot develops.....up to a point obviously. In winter (or cold lands) this will take 5 minutes of travel to come good. You will know when the flat spot has happened, just as you will know when it has gone. If the visual appearance from outside is anything like the feel from inside the cabin, it must be a sight to behold. This can be significantly reduced with increased tyre pressure, but you will get a VERY rough ride. Yes, a rough CMP is unheard of, I know! Having said all that, they are a very hard wearing tyre and will last until Armageddon. They're not too noisy, but then that truck is a diesel, and I couldn't hear a kiss concert over all that engine noise. I have made them whine with cornering, but I was really pushing the vehicle, and noise wasn't dramatic. I quite liked it really!

Back to the military type tyres. When my friend bought his container load, the first ones he had ordered were NOT as requested when they arrived. Luckily he had some form of insurance, which recovered most of the initial cost, but not the time invested in the initial purchase and sorting the error when the wrong ones turned up. I recall he had to do a lot to sort that mess out. Still don't know if the error was poor attention to detail on exporters part, poor understanding of language, or it was deliberate attempt to pull the wool over his eyes. The brand that I have here is Jetstone, and they are 9.00 x 16". Now that I know they can be fit to CMP wheels, I'll be very happy with them. They are also on my 25 pounder wheels, and I very much like the look.The spare on my grey truck is one of those tyres, and I've been running around with that on for many weeks, since the civilian tread one deflated on the highway (though I stay close to home, as I have no current spare). Incidentally, I can't blame that tyre for the incident because a foreign object caused the problem, not a tyre failure.

I can attest to these cheap tyres being very usable. Just be aware troubles may be encountered wheeling and dealing with people in other countries and languages. If you can secure a form of insurance, I would strongly encourage taking it. It may be your saviour if things go wrong. Because you won't have opportunity to inspect the physical attributes of your purchase before you're the owner, be VERY precise with ALL specifications, get photographic evidence of compliance, and if it smells off.....walk away wiser. My friend is no idiot, I assure you, but things went pear shaped in the initial deal. Caveat emptor! Good hunting.
Old 23-09-16, 13:04

I have made mention of this possibilty on a FB Ferret group I belong to, quite a few of the folks I know and would vouch for but they don't hang out here.

This is very interesting and exciting

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 23-09-16, 14:11

Chris.

Shortly after Dominion Royal in, Kitchener ??, ceased to exist as a separate entry, I wrote to them asking about the moulds for their CMP line of tyres. They did confirm both their original moulds and the corresponding retread ones were alive and well but they did not want to remake tyres that 'no longer met current standards'. Was never quite sure what they meant by that, but assumed it had something to do with the wartime use of cotton cord internally. I had just assumed at the time they would automatically switch to modern cordage. Anyway, there is a possibility the tooling is still sitting there with the new company, or they might still know who it was all sold to.

David
Old 23-09-16, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.morrison View Post
Rob....thanks for the response. If we are to pull this off...I would like to focus on the 900 x 16 "chevron" pattern for now. The sand tires can come down the road. "Go big or go home" is my out look on this. If the boys are serious, so am I. But it all depends on the MLU Membership ....so if these tires/tyres work for you ....put your money where mouth is and rally to the cause. Or as thy say in Layman's Terms....."S'''t or get off the pot"!
Hanno .....how many sets can I put you down for? R.
Just an FYI, I have been communicating with HFX Type and there are no DOT markings on the tires. I have also ordered a sample tire.

Ryan

'95 Enfield Military Bullet
'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
‘40 Something Universal Carrier
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 23-09-16, 16:23

Default The lady needs new shoes

Rob and Robert,

I would be interested in four for my Lynx. The originals are Firestone RFs from 1941.

Thanks, Peter

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	85257
Old 23-09-16, 22:22

I'd really like to get some more details on the tires before committing to buying any.

If they are really 9.00x16 chevrons and include a tube and flaps I would be in on this for a set of 5 and I know at least a few others sets would be good to go here in just my area of the US.

I see this is floating around the web already with info that the tires are DOT approved when it appears they are not.
Old 23-09-16, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
There is also a 9.00-16 desert tire (http://hfxtyre.en.alibaba.com/produc..._for_sale.html), that might be a nice choice for some (ie 11.00-16 for Andrew H).
Thanks Tony, but the demand for sand-pattern desert tyres is so small that we could not raise an order for more than a few, and they require a quantity order to keep the price down. Also, I did not see a suitable sand pattern (ie diamond tread) on that website, although I have seen them on other Chinese websites. No harm in dreaming though
Old 23-09-16, 22:47

No DOT rating does present some problems doesn't it or don't the rest of you care about that detail?

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 23-09-16, 23:52
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
No DOT rating does present some problems doesn't it or don't the rest of you care about that detail?
There was a brand called Simex that made 10 ply copies (the exact molds perhaps?) of 'Dunlop Track Grip' S-pattern tires and the tires mentioned here may be a cousin of that brand.

Actually I don't care about DOT rating. For licensing and road driving I of course will run safe, DOT approved legal tires, but I would also have a set of these on rims for when showing the vehicle it its most authentic form matters. If somebody found new made 9.00x16 chevrons I'd be all over them DOT or not.