MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-09-18, 22:39

Question

I have a 1942 Ford Fordor sedan, which was built for a US Army contract. There were about 10,500 of these machines built, and they featured olive drab dechromed exteriors, military blackout lighting and olive green interior plastic parts.

Bolted to the chassis of my car are 4 tie down eyes/loops, which look like handy places to hook up chains and lash the car down onto a railcar or ship. (See pics)

Has anybody seen these loops installed on any other wartime Cars? I'd be especially interested in replies from owners of early Fords 1941-48.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 17-09-18, 00:00
VMVC

Default Tie downs Ford CMP's?

Hi James,

I have never seen those tie down loops before but you may have inadvertently answered a question I've had for a long time about some Ford CMP trucks.

I have noticed over the years some, but not all, Ford CMP trucks have 4 holes drilled in the rear of the floor frame channel, two at the sides and two at the back. See attached photo of one at the side. Holes are 7/16" diameter and always seem to be in the same locations which makes me think they were factory made and not a bush modification.

I am now thinking maybe they were for the same tie downs as shown in your post. Can anyone confirm what was the purpose of those holes?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0122.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 17-09-18 at 00:05.
Old 18-09-18, 10:34

Hi Jaques

These tie down loops have a half inch shank (1/2 UNC) and they have been specified for a sedan that weighs 1700 lb unloaded.
If they are a Ford part, it is possible they could have been used on different Ford wartime builds, maybe even the '42 staff cars built in Ontario?

Perhaps your frames 7/16" hole provision is a bit lightweight for a heavier 4WD? Like you say, it is a mystery.

James
Old 18-09-18, 10:43

It is possible that the 7/16" holes are for locating pins used to position parts while being assembled and are redundant on the finished vehicle. That might explain why they never have anything bolted to them. Could be that if they only appear on some vehicles, that they were only used for a period and then the assembly process changed ?

David