MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-10-11, 12:19
Tony Baker

Default Started getting to know the recently purchased V8

PA300460.jpg
The engine I got last weekend is now sitting outside the workshop, as opposed to filling the trailer! I have no intention to start work on the engine for now, but couldn't resist taking the heads off for a little peek inside. Couldn't stand not knowing what lay beneath the surface. Looks quite good doesn't it? It didn't before I did a bit of wiping with petrol.
PA300458.jpg
Would I be correct in believing that this had never been rebuilt before?
I ask because of the "Ford" script piston tops which are also stamped "STD". Don't worry about the scratches I left on piston, there is slight pitting to the bore so these pistons will be removed and replaced once cylinders are honed.
Attachment 44712 Attachment 44713
The intake manifold and heads were all easy to get off. No broken studs, and while heads and intake are OK to reuse, I have another intake and carburetor I have been rebuilding over the past few months. Mostly at night.............on the lounge room floor! I hope it is compatable with this engine!!!!!
My wife wants me to ask "does anybody else clean or wet sand parts in the shower?" We have our own water supply so don't worry about wasted water!

One thing did concern me. Upon removal of the intake manifold, I found small amount of water in some of the valve chambers. I had not been expecting this, but have been informed it is not a great problem as engine is to be completely rebuilt anyway. The water was removed and replaced with a spray of WD40. I did same to cylinder walls. Why is there a little 'divit' in middle of the pistons?

Try though I might, I couldn't seem to remove the valve assembly retainers, so I retire shortly to read my "Restoring Flathead V8's" book to see what I have been doing incorrectly. I do have the original Ford tool for relieving the valve spring and that's not the issue. The problem lies with being unable to budge the retainers. Suspect that may involve another tool!

Last edited by Private_collector; 30-10-11 at 12:34. Reason: forgot something