MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-05-12, 16:44

Default Chevrolet C8 1940 Cab 11 restoration, The Netherlands

Hello all, I think most of you will remember that I purchased a cab 11 Chevrolet C8 restoration project from Dirk Leegwater a few years ago....my first step from scale models to an actual 1:1 MV. It took a while before I actually started the project and I decided to have a go at a BSA folding bike first to gather some experience. The BSA still needs a few things done, but in the meantime I have started on the C8, and I figured that now would be a good time to start a restoration blog.

Attached you will find some pictures of when my truck was delivered by Dirk and Stefan.

The truck was brought from Canada a number of years ago, along with a few of it's C8 brothers and F8 cousins, after spending years in the Elliot Brothers yard in Ontario.

Alex

p.s. old thread: Oh no.....bought a CMP! Chev C8 cab 11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011300BMLU.jpg (93.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg P1011317BMLU.jpg (98.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg P1011305BMLU.jpg (73.8 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 14-05-12 at 22:17.
Old 14-05-12, 16:54

The real start of my project was to get the frame blasted. I still have to get used to this heavy stuff ( even though this is the smallest of CMP's), but with some creativity I was able to fit the frame inside our van, which saved me the trailer rental.....yes, I know...the Dutch way

I removed as much of the seperate fittings as possible and after blasting had the frame coated in a black primer.

Alex

Fellow C8 owner Nick Bullock helped me out with my frame by the way! thanks again Nick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame9.jpg (46.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Frame8.jpg (45.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Frame7.jpg (46.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Frame6.jpg (49.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Frame9-2.jpg (46.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 14-05-12 at 22:17.
Old 14-05-12, 16:55

Default Welcome Aboard

Hi Alex

Welcome to the wonderful world of restoring Chevy CMPs you've been reading and contributing to the MLU forum long enough to know the fun many of us have with these wonderful vehicles. The Pat 11 Cabs or really interesting as they are the beginning of the evolutionary development of the CMP as you work on and drive yours you will come to appreciate why they evolved.

Keep us posted on your restoration process.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 15-05-12, 05:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default chassis

Thats a nice chassis. I had to replace the rear crossmember on mine . I Bolted it in

My first C8 was pranged ,the chassis was bent like a banana in a prang on the farm up at Yea. It could have been straightened in a jig with a lot of effort . MIKE
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 15-05-12, 22:06

Phil, Mike, thanks for your comments. I will certainly try to enjoy every bit of the CMP restoration and keep you updated on the progress. I am already enjoying it by the way....especially when seeing the look on the faces of our neighbours when I tell them our garden ornament will drive again

The frame does look good on the pictures, but even though it wasn't banana shaped, it still needed some work every here and there. Before blasting I straightened the rear cross member, which actually was quite easy.
One of the other things that needed attention was one of the braces on the rear cross member. The left one was partially gone. The proper way would probably be to replace the whole brace, but I don't have the facilities to replace rivits and I didn't want to replace them with bolts. So, I choose to cut the remains, clean the corner and weld some fresh steel. A template was made from the right brace.
I still have to drill one hole in the new plate, which is used to bolt the body to the chassis, but I will do that when the other chassis jobs are done.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brace1.jpg (48.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Brace2.jpg (57.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Brace3.jpg (18.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Brace4.jpg (45.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Brace5.jpg (37.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 16-05-12, 00:06

Default C8

Hi Alex, Great to see that you have made a start on the C8,
The chassis that you have there I first came across 30 years ago when Ian Richardson was saving it 'just in case' some one else needed it, later it passed to Phil Jarvis in Doncaster who also kept it for years 'just in case' and finally to me, I couldn't help but keep it 'just in case', finally it passes to you and I'm delighted to have resisted the urge to dispose of it since it means another of these fabulous trucks will survive to drive another day, well done you.
Maybe we'll see Norma and yourself this year? I'll be in Normandy in a few weeks time if your down that way
with very best wishes
Nick
Old 19-05-12, 11:18

Good to hear from you Nick! Well...."just in case" happened in the end. The C8A and C15 chassis are also still available; they have moved to another MLU member and are stored "just in case" anyone ever needs them.

Do you remember where the chassis originally came from? Cab 11 or 12? Short box, lengthened short box or long box? I have some holes in the frame that I think are not original and need welding up.

Normandy? I am jealous....no holiday for Norma and me (again!) this year unfortunately. What about Wings and Wheels or Tanks in Town? It would be great to meet up with you and Gina again and finally catch up.

Alex