MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 09-02-03, 11:48
former Resident Historian

Default Anti-tank Portee rebuilds

I have learnt a heck of a lot recently about the rebuilds on Morris-Commercial 2-pounder Anti-tank Portees. At least the Ministry of Supply seem to have rehashed them, as well as the C8/P Predictors to something useful! The C8/MG trucks became C/8AT with canopy etc. and C8/AT Airportable if that is the correct designation for the lightweight glider-borne version, for pulling the 17-pounder A/T guns. It appears as though there was also a Tractor for an AA gun...there was the C9/B Bofors self-propelled. Now, the relevance here is that of course GM of Canada adapted their C-GT chassis to create the 1941 Model Chevrolet Anti-tank Portee. The 2-pounder was rapidly obsolete, and I am interested in what happened to the trucks in due course. We know that some were shipped direct to the Mid-East for the AIF, and thence I assume were shipped back to Australia. In 1944 some were shipped to New Zealand, and converted to GS Trucks. Were any Australian rebuilds to Gun Tractors? What happened to those Chevrolet A/Tank portees left in the UK? Rebuilt to GS Trucks? The later 6-pounder C60L A/Tank Portees were indeed rebuilt to GS Trucks, and had a weird adaptation of the # 43 Cab.
Old 09-02-03, 14:44
MLU Administrator

Default Tractor, 4x4, Anti-Tank, 17-pdr

David,

As far as I can tell, all the ones in the UK were rebuilt as "Tractor, 4x4, Anti-Tank, 17-pdr". These were based on the Morris C8 2pdr AT Portee, Morris C8/P S.P. Predictor and Chevrolet 8440 2pdr AT Portee, converted into 17-pdr gun tractors after the portee concept became obsolete. If I recall correctly, the original portee body was modified, rather than an entirely new one was fitted. Read Wheels & Tracks issue no. 33 for the full story and photos. The picture below shows a rare surviving Chevrolet 8440 2pdr AT Portee:

Source: http://www.enygmag.com/military/photos/presveh2a.htm

By the way, the C9/B wasn't an AA gun Tractor, but a Self-Propelled gun. It had a 40-mm Bofors AA gun fitted on the chassis. There was a CMP variant of this AA truck as well. Picture of the Carrier, SP, 4x4, 40-mm AA (Bofors):

Source: http://www.trackpads.com/heavymetal/belt00-1.html

Regards,
Hanno
Old 09-02-03, 15:01

Default Airportable version pix wnated!

I hope that the picture comes through all right...this is a wargaming size model of the AIRPORTABLE rebuild, with 17-pounder. That's the one I am after..never seen one before. Are there any photos out there please?

Of course the C.9/B was the self-propelled Bofors, just as the Ford F.60B was...should have been more specific.

Attached Thumbnails
morris.jpg  
Old 09-02-03, 15:57
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default C60L cab 12 portees

hi David ,
The AIF also used 1941 cab 12 C60L 2 pounder portees . There is a pic of one in Norm Darwins book, taken at a GMH plant , also pics of them with the AIF in the Middle East .

These C60L portees may have been direct imports from Canada to Aust. The 2 pounder fitted was likely the GMH built version .

Mike Kelly
Old 09-02-03, 19:09

Default # 41 Cab?

That reminds me, that I have not to my knowledge seen any # 41 Cab...the # 42, 43 and 43S [Bofors] I have!

As I said if anyone can send me any pix of the M-C C8/AT Airportable rebuilds I shall be very grateful.
Old 09-02-03, 21:19

Default 2pdr portee

Hanno

The 2 pdr portee in the Muckleburgh collection though very nice and quite convincing is not quite what it seems. The Chevrolet chassis was originally found with only the floor of the original body, while a similar vehicle on a Morris chassis turned up with complete portee framework and little else.....

The two were then put together in the museum workshops a few years ago.

Nice truck though. I believe that Wheels and Tracks ran some pictures prior to restoration, but this was a long time ago.

There is a surviving, converted 2pdr to 17 pdr portee in the Derby area of the UK... Restoration was originally undertaken by the Wheatcroft Collection. I believe that it had also been re-engined, believed during service with a 235.

regards

Nick
Old 14-02-03, 01:19

Cool almost there....

just need the rest of the truck now....

hope the picture is in, but can't see it in the preview...

[edited by moderator to include smaller image]
Attached Thumbnails
pote4_small.jpg