MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 16-03-14, 05:29

Default 19-Set Morse Keys

There appears to be two distinct styles of morse keys used with the 19-Set. For lack of actual part number references at the moment, I will refer to them as the domed rectangular cover pattern and the square edged rectangular cover pattern.

I have only ever seen the domed pattern finished in a semi-gloss black paint and the square edged pattern shows up in either wrinkle black or wrinkle green finish.

Can anyone confirm if the production of these two versions of the 19-Set morse key was concurrent during the war and if the square edged version was ever issued with Canadian 19-Sets? I do not recall ever seeing either item with a C Broad Arrow stamp on it.

David
Old 16-03-14, 08:49
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The square edged one is key & plug assy #9 and the round edged one is key & plug assy #9 type 2.

Both were issued during the war and both are listed in the Canadian EMER FZ256/3 dated 1 Oct 1944.
Old 16-03-14, 15:00
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
The square edged one is key & plug assy #9 and the round edged one is key & plug assy #9 type 2.

Both were issued during the war and both are listed in the Canadian EMER FZ256/3 dated 1 Oct 1944.
One (and I can't remember which) was made by Westclox. There's also the British manufactured variety which has a square edged (but taller, due to the key design) cover with a sloping front.

(Pause for thought.)

There's an article on the Canadian WS19 website by Chris Bisaillion covering the keys:

http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/19setkeys.html

Chris.
(Feetnote: Key & Plug Assy No.19 is, of course, for the Wireless Set No.62, despite what people selling them on eBay seem to think! They won't work on the WS19, no matter how hard you try, due to the difference in keying arrangements.)

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 16-03-14 at 15:02. Reason: Typo: ('die' instead of 'due' in the feetnote).
Old 16-03-14, 16:05

Default Bruce and Chris

Thanks for that information.

Looks like I should try and locate a black wrinkle No. 9 Key, so I show one of each version, and get the details for the Mk II Set closer to completion.

Great help as always, gents!

Thanks again,

David