MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-08-05, 21:32
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default Smokey's funeral

It was a beautiful sunny morning as Smokey's procession left the Seaforth Armoury and proceeded to the church. Hundreds of regular forces personnel lead the procession.
Attached Thumbnails
canadian forces.jpg  
Old 13-08-05, 21:33
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default Smokey's funeral 2

Following the regular forces was Smokey's regiment, The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada.
Attached Images

Old 13-08-05, 21:36
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default smokey's funeral 3

FAT and limber of the 15th Field Regiment RCA ( I think) carries Smokey's coffin
Attached Thumbnails
fat.jpg  
Old 14-08-05, 05:24
Vets Dottir

Default Burrard Bridge Parade

Hi Bruce,

It's good to see these photos because the parade over the Burrard Street Bridge wasn't shown on the TV coverage.

At the beginning of the bridge, a friend of mine has an apartment right beside the bridge, about 25 floors up, with an incredible view over the whole bridge. I lost touch with him years ago, and tried to find his email address today, but couldn't find it I was thinking he would get some amazing photos with his digital camera ... he's on the dowtown side of the bridge. He has an unlisted number so I couldn't Canada411 it. So ... I'm specially glad to see your pictures!

Much of the coverage and ceremony were extremely moving. It was good to see Gavin sitting between Smokey's daughter Norma and son David ... good because Gavin had a heart attack not so long ago, so I'm glad he was there to send off his father-inlaw properly because he thought the world of Smokey. Was in awe of him. I met Norma briefly a few times many many years ago. I don't "know" the family as an insider ... only of them, really. I'm sure Smokey and Gavin shared many a good Scotch .. they both loved the creature

My heart really does go out to the family ... what a huge gap where Smokey was ... I hope they fill that gap quickly with celebrating his life with memories and stories and with knowing all the hows and whys of his presence in their lives.

I heard it said some place once that we stand on the sholdiers of giants ... well ... we do. Smokey ... and his Soldier peers, and all of our fallen soldiers, are the shoulders we stand on ... we need to maintain the freedoms and values that these wonderful men and women worked, fought, and died for, for all of us ... thats the debt and honouring we most must do for them ...

Our young ... need to UNDERSTAND their freedoms that they so enjoy, were saved by these people ... freedom only exists because someone risked and died to preserve those human dignities.

Enough ... except, I wish I could have met Smokey when I had the chance years ago. What an ignorant git was I then :

Karmen
Old 14-08-05, 08:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Unhappy

Well, the CBC really buggered this up, because they filmed only the last wee bit of the parade all the while their talking heads were over-riding the solemnity of the thing. At least they shut up during the actual service.

These buggers have NO respect for this stuff, knew nothing about what it meant and even their rent-a-retired-military-expert had no concept of what Smoky was or what he represented. I was totally pissed off until they all shut up.

Cheers, Smoky. Some of us knew and understood.

BTW, the Seaforths were magnificent. Outstanding.
Old 14-08-05, 16:33
RIP

Default Military Expert!!

He knew even less about the WW2 gun tractor
Old 14-08-05, 17:16
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Military Expert!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
He knew even less about the WW2 gun tractor
.... or of the history, nomenclature and purpose of the caisson on its gun. Clot. :

But never mind... the Seaforths made up for it. I just wish we could have seen the whole parade from start to finish, and in silence from the talking heads. I'll be writing the CBC later today.

BTW, nice 12-cab guntractor, eh? I wonder who owns it...
Old 15-08-05, 07:00

Default Gun Tractor

The gun tractor was restored by John Hawthorne for the 15th feild Artillary Regiment in Vancouver ,John is a former Gunner and also a Western Command Member,
As for the C.B.C some arogant Camera opperator refused to move the Camera stand that was in front of the Church after being asked nicely by an airforce Capt,She refused Twice and then was Pushed out of the way by The R.S.M and told to stay off the parade ground.
Two of us parked across from the Church with our 1942 Jeeps on the side walk after pickeing up some veterans and driving through 2 road blocks ,to deliver them to the cerimony.
There was plenty of room in the Church and several of our Western command Members were in the Church, Vince Hands ,Myself and our sons all enjoyed the service as we had all met Smokey at a small (30 peaple ) event that I organized in Maple Ridge.
Saw the Gun tractor today at another event to celibrate V.J day in Vancouver. The event was sponsored by the Chinese Cultural Society ,Met Mr Loui who was an S.O.E operative during the war He was riding in the Jeep behind mine in the Parade.