MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-12-07, 22:35

Default Canadian/British Wheel (Tire) Types Help Sought

Hello gents, I'm sure there are those amongst you who could possibky answer this question with ease. I was wondering if the wheel types for the CMP (like that kitted by Peerless/Airfix/Italeri) are similar if not the same as those for the Lynx armoured scout car of Canadian manufacture or the Otter Armoured car. I have the Hussar Productions resin wheels (three different pattern types) for the Humber Scout Car and they're similar in size to the Otter wheels. If I recall correctly, the Italeri CMP had slightly larger wheels, and in compariosn with the Azimut Lynx wheels, the Lynx wheels seem smaller. I wonder if Lynx wheels are of a smaller type or it may be an issue with the kit's design. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, MK
Old 29-12-07, 23:51
MLU Administrator

MKarnowka,

Welcome to this forum!

The three 16" tyre sizes used on CMPs were 9.25-16, 9.00-16 and 10.50-16, the first being the smallest, the last being the largest of the three. The 9.25-16 tyre was used on the Lynx and C8A HUP, the 9.00-16 tyre on 15-cwt trucks and the 10.50-16 tyre on C15TA and 30-cwt trucks. In 1:35 scale the difference is hardly noticable, but if you want to do it correct, you must make sure to use the correct size tyre on your kits.

See CMP Specifications for all tyre sizes.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 30-12-07, 13:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The 9.25-16 tyre as fitted to the Lynx I, despite it's designation, is actually a smaller overall diameter than the 9.00-16 tyre on a C15A (Italeri kit). It should also be noted that the Lynx I has 6 wheel studs, while the Lynx II and C15A have 8.
Old 30-12-07, 15:36

Default Re: Canadian/British Wheel (Tire) Types Help Sought

Quote:
Originally posted by MKarnowka
I have the Hussar Productions resin wheels (three different pattern types) for the Humber Scout Car and they're similar in size to the Otter wheels.
To add to what Tony has said, the Humber Scout Car also used 9.25-16 tyres, but the wheels are unique as they have 5 studs and centre hole of the wheel has 5 sides fitting close over a 5 sided hub.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 30-12-07, 17:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
The 9.25-16 tyre as fitted to the Lynx I, despite it's designation, is actually a smaller overall diameter than the 9.00-16 tyre on a C15A (Italeri kit).
Indeed as I said, of the three 16" tyre sizes used on CMPs - 9.25-16, 9.00-16 and 10.50-16 - 9.25-16 was the smallest.

H.
Old 30-12-07, 19:31

Thanks for the informative help, gents, I now know I came to the right place! I don't mind a bit of extra work in adapting Canadian CMP hubs to the aftermarket resin tires originally designed for the Humber Scout Car. I think it will be the closest I'll get to having the pattern tire I need on the Otter. The Lynx may prove to be a bit more work, but I may just stick with the kit tires. Glad I didn't throw caution to the wind and just stick the CMP tires on the kit. Regards, MK