MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 17-01-05, 15:51
Vets Dottir

Default Spam Feast

"SPAM" wasn't always used in reference to cyber stalking and harrassment or just a weird-tasting fast-food meal at home .... !

http://www.nt.net/~toby/remember.html
Old 17-01-05, 16:38

Default Your dating yourself

Your giving away your age to a certain extent if you remember spam as a food. Even though it is still sold it seem that fewer and fewer people admit to having eaten it in. Some place I have an army cookbook that has a long list of ways to prepare it.

I can remember as a kid having fried spam with pinapple, spam salad, spam sandwiches, etc.

Then there is of course the famous spam lamb as prepared on the TV show MASH.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 17-01-05, 16:58
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Your dating yourself

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Your giving away your age to a certain extent if you remember spam as a food. Even though it is still sold it seem that fewer and fewer people admit to having eaten it in. Some place I have an army cookbook that has a long list of ways to prepare it.

I can remember as a kid having fried spam with pinapple, spam salad, spam sandwiches, etc.

Then there is of course the famous spam lamb as prepared on the TV show MASH.
My DEAR master Phil ... don't be such a pill to date me thus. I'm trying to feel young again!!! Alas ... I am someone who recalls these FUDS ...

Yep ... in the 50's we had SPAM ... I'm sure ... but I mostly remember eating KLIK (spelling???) ...SPAM/KLIK ... same thing only different? To this day I have scars on my foot from having stepped (was running actually) on a KLIK can, sharp sides up ... impressive amount of blood can come out of a 4/5 year olds foot.

SPAM ... hmmm ... it would be fun to see the army recipes ...

Side note regards BOLOGNA .... fried up it's call "WINNIPEG STEAK" sumthin to go with the CHEEZ WHIZ??? I ate lots of WINNIPEG STEAK as a kid! YUK ... but funny how every once in a while I CRAVE THE CRAP ...

BTW .... WHAT EXACTLY was included in the typical WW2 rations? Sounds like SPAM for one, and CORNED BEEF for the Bully Stew for sure ... but what else?
Old 17-01-05, 18:30
RIP

Default Bully beef

When I was a teenager & you mentioned the above to my dad,you'd make sure you were a half a block away from him when you's say the words.Same went for corned beef.Oh another horror for him was brussels sprouts.He despised them after having lived off them for three years in England during the war.
Old 17-01-05, 20:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Bully beef

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
When I was a teenager & you mentioned the above to my dad,you'd make sure you were a half a block away from him when you's say the words.Same went for corned beef.Oh another horror for him was brussels sprouts.He despised them after having lived off them for three years in England during the war.
I think I can totally understand your Dad's revulsion on a number of levels personally ... I LOVE Brussels Sprouts ...

I hear interesting tidbits of WW2 (etc) about soldiers sort of scooping someones chickens for din-dins etc... raiding gardens and such too I presume? Still ... when on "the front lines" etc, hunger must have been a constant issue. Eating itself ... hmmmm ... where and when do you have the time and safety to do that sometimes? I'll bet many dream of home cooked meals!
Old 18-01-05, 19:53

Default Spam on the engine block

Dad was a combat engineer from North Africa to the Brenner Pass. He said that on long motor moves his outfit used to put the very large cans (your super market deli counter may still get them: they are about 5x5x20 inches) on the engine blocks of their deuce-and-a-halves to heat them up. These plus the number ten cans of fruit cocktail fed a lot of guys. Boredom with this menu probably led one of the guys in his outfit shoot a cow in the Bey of Algiers' prize herd. Yes, it did hit the fan.

Thanks for making me rememebr this story.

Bob
Old 19-01-05, 03:07
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Spam on the engine block

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter
Dad was a combat engineer from North Africa to the Brenner Pass. He said that on long motor moves his outfit used to put the very large cans (your super market deli counter may still get them: they are about 5x5x20 inches) on the engine blocks of their deuce-and-a-halves to heat them up. These plus the number ten cans of fruit cocktail fed a lot of guys. Boredom with this menu probably led one of the guys in his outfit shoot a cow in the Bey of Algiers' prize herd. Yes, it did hit the fan.

Thanks for making me rememebr this story.

Bob
Bob ... it's my gain to have the pleasure of the memories you share Seriously!

That beef dinner must have been heaven to the guys Worth a little poop in the fan! Cool!

Karmen
Old 19-01-05, 08:38
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I too remember SPAM from my childhood days up at the cottage... along with fresh bass caught that morning, bacon, fried tomatoes and bread slices fried in the leftover bacon grease (yes, in a cast-iron frying pan and cooked over an open fire of driftwood)! Truly, a meal fit for a king (or, in this case, a future SUNRAY)!

The most delightfully disgusting description of WW2 army food has to be (and will never be surpassed) by George Blackburn in THE GUNS OF NORMANDY, when discussing COMPO rations. Tomorrow I'll make Karmen 'read it and weep'...
Old 19-01-05, 15:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
ITomorrow I'll make Karmen 'read it and weep'...
Geoff, have you treated Karmen to a Bully Stew meal already? Should make a hell of an impression

Seriously, you guys should have seen the line-up in Normandy when Geoff was cooking this wartime dish. All the ingredients were canned, but the end result tasted very, very good.

H.
Old 19-01-05, 17:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Geoff, have you treated Karmen to a Bully Stew meal already? Should make a hell of an impression

Seriously, you guys should have seen the line-up in Normandy when Geoff was cooking this wartime dish. All the ingredients were canned, but the end result tasted very, very good.

H.
Karmen is suitably impressed with my WW2 culinary expertise...

Next comes a "liberated" chicken stewed in "liberated" wine with a mixture of "liberated" fresh vegetables, served in mess tins, with a tin cup of rum to wash it all down...
Old 19-01-05, 18:16
Vets Dottir

Quote:

Next comes a "liberated" chicken stewed in "liberated" wine with a mixture of "liberated" fresh vegetables, served in mess tins, with a tin cup of rum to wash it all down...
Yes Master Sunray ... just remember though that you shall also be dining with a LIBERATED WOMAN

MA PIXIE WITCH
Old 19-01-05, 18:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Yes Master Sunray ... just remember though that you shall also be dining with a LIBERATED WOMAN

MA PIXIE WITCH
Ok.... hmmmm.... what to say.... hmmmm....

GET THYSELF INTO THE KITCHEN AND LIBERATE OUR DIRTY DISHES!!!!

Old 19-01-05, 18:47
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Ok.... hmmmm.... what to say.... hmmmm....

GET THYSELF INTO THE KITCHEN AND LIBERATE OUR DIRTY DISHES!!!!

EXCUSE ME? Could this be the voice of Master Sunray speaking thus to the Little Miss Ma Pixie Witch? IF SO .... GET THEE BEHIND ME OH FOOLISH ONE (it's yore turn you old Scot)

... however I really and truly DO look forward to that liberated feast ... a totally appropriate feast for a liberated woman ...

Will this feast come before or after Robbie Burns Day Haggis Feast?
Old 19-01-05, 22:13
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:

A truly fine meal surely deserves something more than a tin cup of rum!!
Attached Thumbnails
k04-102-3.jpg  
Old 19-01-05, 23:10
RIP

Default Good one Tony!!

I'm sitting here alone in the basement den on the computer.Then I saw your response!!My women upstairs are still wondering what I was laughing at.

Aside to Karmen Lassie
Off to drum with me piper Friday night at our annual STAG "Robbie Burns supper.The lassies' serve us supper then leave.When my plate of steak & kidey pie comes with the haggis,I always ask the lass if she has any Ketchup for the haggis.Boy!Do I make her day every year.Last year as she served me and before I can say anything she says in her Highland tongue,"I know,I know,you're the strange one who always wants the ketchup",as she stomps off to get it
Old 20-01-05, 05:29
Richard Notton

Quote:
I too remember SPAM from my childhood days
And yet, as one of the major overseas advocates, you don't remember this:
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_python.htm
http://home.triad.rr.com/spamchef/spamskit.html

And here's a useful reference:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ddgarcia/spam.html

Must try harder old boy.

R.
Old 20-01-05, 06:36
Vets Dottir

Default oi oi oi

oi oi

Oh Master R. ... surely, I KNEW I could count on you to make this thread truly educational, and totally spamfully entertaining

How do to you too?

Woof and arf arf to Shad ...

back tomorrow ... PW/VD MA
Old 20-01-05, 06:38
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
A truly fine meal surely deserves something more than a tin cup of rum!!
Even as manequins ... they're real men :
Old 20-01-05, 06:39
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Good one Tony!!

Quote:
I'm sitting here alone in the basement den on the computer.Then I saw your response!!My women upstairs are still wondering what I was laughing at.

Aside to Karmen Lassie
Off to drum with me piper Friday night at our annual STAG "Robbie Burns supper.The lassies' serve us supper then leave.When my plate of steak & kidey pie comes with the haggis,I always ask the lass if she has any Ketchup for the haggis.Boy!Do I make her day every year.Last year as she served me and before I can say anything she says in her Highland tongue,"I know,I know,you're the strange one who always wants the ketchup",as she stomps off to get it
Are they STILL laughing? Perhaps they have need of a frying pan or two for the likes of you? yes? No?

nite all ...
Old 20-01-05, 09:22
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623

And here's a useful reference:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ddgarcia/spam.html

Must try harder old boy.

R.
Fascinating stuff! This must surely be the most relevant fact for Canadian Spam fans: "Number of miles a snowmobile must drive at -30 F to fully brown a can of Spam wired to the engine: 35 (Source: The Iditarod [heard on a Madison, WI radio report for "National Canned Luncheon Meat Day, '96]) "
Old 20-01-05, 21:08
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Fascinating stuff! This must surely be the most relevant fact for Canadian Spam fans: "Number of miles a snowmobile must drive at -30 F to fully brown a can of Spam wired to the engine: 35 (Source: The Iditarod [heard on a Madison, WI radio report for "National Canned Luncheon Meat Day, '96]) "
Quite so, essential information that we really need to know, truly fascinating I agree.

My life is fuller already.

R.
Old 23-01-05, 20:59

Default Repro WWII rations?

Somewhere, God help me, I learned that somebody out there is making and packaging combat rations of various World War II forces. Now I did US C-rations in the 1970's and found them passable, and have always heard that modern British Army canned rations are far better than ours, but is there truth to my rumor? My masochistic streak is kicking in.

I learned somewhere that somebody is printing World War I Frey Benitos labels for corned beef. I can still hear my Scottish step-granny going on about "bully beef."

There is also a Russian version of SPAM called "tushonka." I have found a source on the 'net but I'd have to buy it in case lots. I am not THAT brave -- yet . . . .

I can at least brew tea in the time-honoured British Eighth Army fashion, even if I do not use a sand-filled flimsy.

Bob
Old 23-01-05, 21:30
Richard Notton

Default Re: Repro WWII rations?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter
I can at least brew tea in the time-honoured British Eighth Army fashion, even if I do not use a sand-filled flimsy.
Excellent!!!!!

We'll let you off the stone and sand filled flimsy and a gallon of AVGAS saga.

R.
Old 24-01-05, 21:32
Vets Dottir

Default Geez

... it just occurred to me ... I wonder if a SPAM POULTICE would cure the rib problem for our Master Sunray? Maybe it also has anti-aging proerties as he is about to have another birthday Jan. 28th ... marking two years beyond half a century ... hmmm ... maybe it will SPAM him back in time and play it forward to the present ....

BEAM ME BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS OH WONDROUS SPAM

Of course the trip might jolt him into a bout of hiccups again ...
Old 08-03-05, 21:35
Art Johnson

Default Spam

I meant to tell this story earlier but I got bogged down in other things.
RSM Vic Jackson MM, was a great story teller and always had at least one tale to tell us when he visited our museum. One of the stories was about Spam and the many different ways that the cooks prepared it. One way was to dip it in batter and fry it. Vic dubbed it "Horse Cock"
Some time later I invited him to be our guest speaker at a dinner that I used to co-host with Harry Sershall. The main course was always roast beef but for Vic that night the girls cooked up some "Horse Cock" for him, he got a big laugh out of it but would not eat it.
As an aside his son is a Lt-Col in the Canadian Army and was stationed in Indonesia when the Tsunami struck, he was able to give us a first hand account of the destruction.
Old 08-03-05, 23:12

Talking Flimsy

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
We'll let you off the stone and sand filled flimsy and a gallon of AVGAS saga.
Ah this puts me in mind of an experiment that was carried out in this neck of the woods some years ago now by yours truly and several others who shall remain nameless.

Picture the scene, heated discussion about the efficiency of the flimsy cooker.
Old oil can produced , top removed filled with sand, tea mugs to hand, brew can filled with obligatory match floating in the top to take away the smoke taste and tea leaves ready.
All is now ready for the addition of fuel and the application of ignition.

Another heated debate ensues about how much petrol to add.

Well it was my can and my petrol and I thought I remembered my old Dad telling me you had to make a porridge like consistency with the sand and petrol, so that’s what I did.
At this point the on lookers started to look shifty and took several paces back.

Undeterred the match was struck and thrown into the can.

Three things happened in micro second sequence, firstly there was a blinding flash, secondly the contents of the brew can hit me fair and square thirdly three voices from across the yard could be heard calling to me as if in a dream
And lo they sayeth "Pete you F$$~~~****rd,
You’re supposed to let the F~~~~ Petrol soak in you ####t"

So the moral of the story is if you like to keep your eyebrows and moustache let the petrol soak in,
It was a hell of a bang though!!!!!

Pete

Old 09-03-05, 00:21
Vets Dottir

Talking Cool

Master Bomber-Pete,

It's ALWAYS so nice to meet my long-lost relatives. Where have you been ... without this story of yours I never would have known we are related!!!

Ma
Old 09-03-05, 15:17
RIP

Default Real Spam!!

My father related this one to me which my uncle Steve from 1RCHA Kingston,confirmed,was true.Somewhere in Italy,behind the lines,the old CMP driver met up with Steve.He told him to come to the Chev FAT as he had a surprise to show him.My uncle opened the rear door of the FAT,and what was laying across the crew seats??A real live grown pig.Supper that night was one to remember!!Real Spam.
Old 09-03-05, 19:54
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Real Spam!!

Quote:
My father related this one to me which my uncle Steve from 1RCHA Kingston,confirmed,was true.Somewhere in Italy,behind the lines,the old CMP driver met up with Steve.He told him to come to the Chev FAT as he had a surprise to show him.My uncle opened the rear door of the FAT,and what was laying across the crew seats??A real live grown pig.Supper that night was one to remember!!Real Spam.
Hmmm ... liberated pig for a pigroast spam
... ???
Old 13-03-05, 06:27

Perhaps Norm can confirm, but I've read and heard time and time again that the Canadians were the world's best scroungers...