MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 27-11-16, 22:43

Default Hydrometer for the 19-Set

I have seen two versions of this item: one that fits in a rather POSH looking wooden box, and the second (perhaps a slightly smaller item) that stores in a simple cardboard tube, either blue or grey, with an instruction label glued on the outside.

Were these only issued/needed when the 19-Set was installed in a Command or Signals Vehicle where portable batteries were an issue?

And are the two types fully interchangeable, wherever needed?

David
Old 28-11-16, 00:40
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I have seen two versions of this item: one that fits in a rather POSH looking wooden box, and the second (perhaps a slightly smaller item) that stores in a simple cardboard tube, either blue or grey, with an instruction label glued on the outside.

Were these only issued/needed when the 19-Set was installed in a Command or Signals Vehicle where portable batteries were an issue?

And are the two types fully interchangeable, wherever needed?

David
I have the civilian (I think) equivalent of the wooden box one. This incorporates a thermometer, so is rather more useful than the "standard" model.

I also have one in a metal cylinder, which I think is the usual "issue" type - it arrived in a "Bags, Aerial Gear" with most of the 34/20-ft mast kit and a set of stays/rigging that I'd never seen before: with glass "shell" insulators instead of the usual Bakelite "Chain Link" type and a multi-section aerial on a US-style winder
Hydrometers appeared in the WS52 station kit, I'm not sure about the WS19...

...Ah: Canadian "Set & Standard Kit" has "Hydrometer, Sec. Cell, Portable, Canadian Mk.I" listed. I'm fairly sure it wasn't standard for British sets.

A lot of British units were supplied with freshly-charged batteries on a regular basis (along with rations, ammunition & mail, etc.), rather than having their own charging set (which might give their position away), so hydrometers would not be needed in that setup.

Chris.
Old 01-12-16, 00:06

Hi Chris.

Nice find on the hydrometer in the wooden case. The Canadian version I have only ever seen drawings of so it is difficult to determine the size of it. The ID for is shows up in references as ZB/CAN 0641

The other version, which I am guessing now is probably the British one, I have only ever seen packed in a cardboard tube as shown. The ID for it is ZB 11065.

Been tempted to pick one up from time to time for my Mk III Cdn, which is a Truck and Ground Installation unit.

David
Attached Images