MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 13-08-18, 00:14
Richard Harrison

Default Universal carrier Mk2* oil filters

Folks, I have been rebuilding my oil filter, during which I have identified that the two filter cans inside are at the end of their life, what have people been using in the filter units ?

Cheers

Richie
Attached Thumbnails
6FF44532-0DA0-4367-B8BC-8FF2804F11D4.jpeg  

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 14-08-18, 01:40

Quite a contraption ! My Mk II * did not come with one of those . Why in the world with the Junior oil filter ( Jeep ) readily available in North America at the time would the designers opted for such an elaborate design ?
94 LSVW
Old 14-08-18, 02:38
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Quite a contraption ! My Mk II * did not come with one of those . Why in the world with the Junior oil filter ( Jeep ) readily available in North America at the time would the designers opted for such an elaborate design ?
Mk.1 carriers had no oil filter with a resulting engine life of 3000 to 5000 miles. They probably went to the double filter as an example of guilt and 'over kill'.
Old 14-08-18, 07:03
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Likely because the military junior filter was meant for a partial flow system. The mk2 carrier (along with the lynx scout car) used this large Kalvinator full flow filter system.

I started a thread on my search for those filters a number of years ago for the mk2 carrier at work. Brian Asbury still had the filters at the time, but my queries started a flood of orders for them and in the end I think I was only able to buy a reasonable amount of them from Brian. Not sure if he has any of them left.
Old 05-03-22, 00:25

Default Anyone have a lead on these?

Hi. I also am in need of replacement filters or an alternative.
Has anyone found a solution for filters?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
1E605D5A-5692-4225-BC3F-BA8D67D42FB6.jpeg   9D2FC131-49D4-4810-890D-81837635FB04.jpeg  
Old 05-03-22, 11:27
Bluebell

Bruce,with regards the short engine life, That was more about the dust being drawn into the crankcase via the open or horse hair breather. That was cured by the hydrovent system (and the oil bath breather)(42 engine, rope seals etc)
Richie maybe you need to fit a modern spin on or find a suitable filter (or a pair of them) and make up a suitable adapter?
If you have to be a puritan, the filters were probably available before the housing and by cross reference maybe still available?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 05-03-22, 14:42

I'm trying to understand this filter setup. In the photo at the head of the discussion is the filter upside down (in other words, is the clampdown cover normally at the top of the filter)?

If correct, it appears that the two filter sections each have a threaded section that protrudes from the top that then screws into either the other element's base or the clampdown cover. Is this correct?
If the above is all correct, I'm guessing it was done to avoid having to fish the filter elements out of a canister full of dirty (hot?) oil.

I don't recall seeing such a scew topped filter, but obviously they existed. The parts book for MkI* and MkII* carriers, FUC-03, has an illutration that shows the pair of elements as having part numbers C29SR-18679 (I think for the one further from the clamp down cover) and C29SR-18670 (I think for the one closer to the clamp down cover) and C29SR-18697 (for the pair). There are notes in the book that the individual cartridges are "Not to be demanded, order kit C29SR-18697". (No notes seen to suggest interchanges or alternate part numbers.)
A Google on the part number for the kit only produced 2 results, both from MLU....
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=305
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18424
I seem to have at least partly answerd my own question. Next question is - does anyone have a kit they can measure and photograph so that others can try to search for filter elements that could be adapted as the originals are either in short supply or unavaialable?
Old 05-03-22, 15:42
carrier mech

I have one or two kits at the Shilo museum.

An alternative to the filters is just to assemble the filter housing with no filters and change the oil every 5 years. With the limited miles a carrier is ever going to do, and the conditions it will be driven in, the engine will still survive generations of use. The housing will simply act as a secondary oil cooler.
Old 05-03-22, 16:03

I first wondered about stacking the senior filters (look to have about the same proportions as the elements of the kit, don't know about size) for which there should still be crossovers. Then thought about searching Baldwin or other catalogues for single, tall cartridges. Either way would require getting length and diameter (inside and outside) close and maybe making adapters,,,
Depending where the inlet and outlet fit in the housing, if there's effectivly a settling sump, running without filter (as long as the filter doesn't provide a designed flow restriction) might not be as odd as it first sounds...
Old 05-03-22, 16:42
carrier mech

I have thought of the military senior filters as well. A tube, threaded at both ends, hanging from the lid could be made to tighten onto two of the filters. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could make a top plate threaded to go into the "jar type" threads with the tube hanging off of it. But as this is a full flow application, you would need to make sure this setup will accept the flow as well as not overly restrict it. When you consider that all the oil flow goes through those tiny 1/8 pipe fittings at the block, the flow is really not that great.

Or you could not risk anything and just leave the filters out.
Old 12-03-22, 00:17

when I built my carrier I looked up similar filters with the same outer dimensions as the original and just stacked them in the canister. Can't remember the filter numbers but your retailer should be able to find some using the filter size chart.