MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-19, 13:58

Default MLVW Serial Numbers / Road legal M36C ?

love this forum.

Can anyone give me an idea of where all the locations of the CFR / Serial Numbers are on an MLVW? I'd like to know them all, but is there one ore more on the frame? Can't seem to find a post on this.

... and I keep reading about the CFR database. Is there someone with the history of all Canadian MLVWs by CFR? Or does each need to be looked up individually?

Has anyone in here managed to get a road legal M36C on the road? Does anyone have a scrap one with an ownership?

I know the MLVWs aren't exactly the same historic value as most of the stuff in here, but they're what I have...

Thanks!
Old 06-12-19, 14:21
carrier mech

The frame serial number is just over the left front shock absorber. I think there is also one on the cab firewall, but I wasn't able to locate it a few weeks back when I went to look for it. There is also a serial number stamped on the back left floor of the cargo box, although I have seen examples of those being mixed on vehicles. Some cargo boxes, if they were SEVs (Special Equipment Vehicles) were given their own CFRs. These would have their own data plate on the front right of the cargo box.

I have heard of at least one M35Cdn being road legal here in Manitoba. There were certain changes that the provincial insurance/transportation department required, including the installation of a dual brake system.

I have not tried to register mine for the road yet, but when I do it will just be as an antique, so should not be a big issue. When I look at the insurance calculator, it does list Bombardier as a manufacturer for trucks in those years.

The database for CFRs has to be looked up individually for each vehicle.

When you say M36C, are you talking abou tthe model with the crane in the back? If so, inspect it for cracking on the crossmember just to the back of the crane. A lot of guys wouldn't take the time to set up the outriggers, and with that long frame, it was quite common to crack that crossmember. The back cab mounting and crossmember were also quite subject to breakage.

Last edited by rob love; 06-12-19 at 14:35.
Old 07-12-19, 00:26
Terry Warner

US turbo multifuel M35A2 registered in Ontario with the Cold War Collection.

https://coldwarcollection.com/collection/

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-12-19, 14:31

Thanks for all that info. Yes, we have one M36C with an longer boom, a crane winch and a mobile repair shop and one M36C with a shorter boom, no crane winch and no shop (Cargo version). Both have winches up front. I'll check those frames out, thanks for the heads up.
I would really like to find one of these M36Cs with an ownership, no matter how bad a shape the truck itself is..... If the cross member is interchangeable with the regular M35s, I have parts trucks...

Thanks for the notes re the numbers. That will save me some time.

I found an old manual for these trucks and now better understand the configurations. It says there was an M36C and an M36 (longer wheel base, but no crane). I wonder what the purpose of the M36 was....
Old 07-12-19, 16:17

Default M36 mlvw

According to C-30-352-000 MA-000 Data Summary - Truck, 2½ Ton, MLVW, M30 CDN Series Cargo Model M36 CDN - 1985 the purpose of the M36 Truck was to transport, special, extra long, removable shelters and stores. It was supplied both with and without a winch.

This photograph I took in Bosnia of a M36 Dental Van nearly two decades ago is a good example of the type in use by the CF.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C379-17 M36 CDN 2½ ton Dental Van 61994 towing M104 Trailer, front right view, KFOR markings,  V.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	110664
Old 08-12-19, 14:24

Thank you very much for the picture. I recently seen some of the longer shelters for sale and didn't make the connection at the time.
Old 08-12-19, 23:34
carrier mech

I have a M36 at work. It was originally a tire repair truck, so had a small tire lift at the back, a security cage, and tire equipment inside. All the back was stripped and we use it for general run around duties now.
Old 09-12-19, 21:34

We just got ours running well yesterday. Tested the crane and it's 100%. Drives well.
Needs some brake work.

@rob love, does yours have an ownership or just a yard truck?