MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 28-05-05, 03:13
Maria

Smile Im Back!!!! sure missed you all :)

A big Hello to you all,

It is great to be back, I have just been looking at all the helpful info you guys found out for me, mainly Mark W.Tonner and David Hayward , who did so much for me concerning my Dads Army Camp in Slough all those yrs ago, so to you two especially , I
SALUTE YOU BOTH

I could kick myself though ouch! as when looking at a photo I had taken of my Dads headstone while in PEI, I saw the name of my Dads Regiment , Hooray! but how come I never noticed it before : but it was an extremely emotional time for me ....

Well I sure hope everyone is in the pink, it`s been the hottest day of the year here today...phew

to everyone!.

Maria. or Hilary as they are both my names.
Old 28-05-05, 14:17
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Im Back!!!! sure missed you all :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maria
I saw the name of my Dads Regiment
Hi Maria;

Welcome Back. What was the name of the regiment?

Cheers
Old 28-05-05, 20:43
Maria

Smile Hi Mark :)

Sorry Mark,

Had intended to tell you, but was in a bit of a rush as I mostly am, guess what exciting work I have lined up tomorrow?
decorating the bedroom..the works

Now come on get a grip and tell the man what he wants to know what was that?
Okay, it was I`m pleased now to tell you the Carleton&York Reg.
So pleased to be able to tell you that . Have you heard of that Regiment? I now want to try and find out as much as I can about my dear Dads old Regiment and where he fought......

Though I knew he was in Italy and North Africa, where exactly? I couldnt say

But its another piece to the jigsaw eh?.
Old 29-05-05, 18:52
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Hi Mark :)

Quote:
I`m pleased now to tell you the Carleton&York Reg.
So pleased to be able to tell you that . Have you heard of that Regiment? I now want to try and find out as much as I can about my dear Dads old Regiment and where he fought......

But its another piece to the jigsaw eh?.
I'm glad you found out your Dad's Regiment and can now get on a roll and enjoy finding the pieces to put your jigsaw together. I'm sure your kids will appreciate the results of your long search for this ... they'll learn about their granddad and through that learn some important history and an appreciation for their own life and its perks.
Old 30-05-05, 17:26
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Hi Mark :)

Quote:

Hi Hilary;

The Carleton and York Regiment:

The Carleton and York Regiment, C.A.S.F. was authorized and mobilized as a unit ot the Canadian Active Service Force under the authority of General Order Number 135 of 1939, effective 1 September, 1939, being brigaded into the 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Division, C.A.S.F.

The Carleton and York Regiment, C.A.S.F., Depot was authorized and mobilized at Woodstock, New Brunswick, within Military District No. 7 under the authority of General Order Number 140 of 1939, effective 2 September, 1939.

Under the authority of General Order Number 26 of 1941, effective 25 July 1940, The Carleton and York Regiment, C.A.S.F., Depot was absorbed into No. 7-A District Depot (Woodstock, New Brunswick, within Military District No. 7)

The Carleton and York Regiment was allocated to the Canadian Infantry Corps under the title of: 1st Battalion, The Carleton and York Regiment, C.I.C. under the authority of General Order Number 485 of 1942, effective
3 September 1942.

1st Battalion, The Carleton and York Regiment, C.I.C. was disbanded under the authority of General Order Number 85 of 1946, effective 30 September, 1945.

War Service in Brief:

- sailed from Halifax aboard the SS Monarch of Bermuda on 10 December 1939, part of Convoy TC 1
- arrived Greenock, UK, on 17 December 1939 and into Delville Barracks, Aldershot
- bulk of the battalion sails from Gourock aboard H.M.T. Batory on 28 June 1943
- lands in Sicily on 10 July 1943
- lands in Italy on 3 September 1943
- leaves Italy aboard Landing Craft Tank (vehicles) and on Landing Ship Tanks (personnel) - spread over four days, from 16 to 19 March 1945, from Leghorn
- lands in Marseilles, France (between 16 - 19 March 1945)
- battalion arrives in Wavre, Belgium, having travelled by road from Marseilles, on 27 March 1945
- moves into the Reichwald on 4 April 1945 and resumes active operations
- September 1945, sails aboard the Dutch ship Nieuw Amsterdam for Halifax, arriving on 30 September 1945, by train to Fredericton, New Brunswick and disbandment.

They were a part of the 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1st Infantry Division from September 1939 to September 1945.

Cheers
Old 30-05-05, 18:19
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Hi Mark :)

Quote:

Hi Hilary;

I'm a bit confused here, in your earlier thread: "Please Does Anyone Remember Hayhill Army Camp?" reagarding a camp at Slough, (the earlier thread is located
here), and from information you sent me earlier, you said that this was your Father:

Service Number: B 17080
Surname: Gallant
Given Name(s): Arthur
Branch: Canadian Army (Active) - Royal Canadian Engineers

Where does the Carleton and York Regiment fit into this?

Cheers
Old 30-05-05, 22:59
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Looking up The Carleton and York Regiment on the internet

Hi Hilary;

I received your PM. So this is your Father:

Service Number: B 17080
Surname: Gallant
Given Name(s): Arthur
Branch: Canadian Army (Active) - The Carleton and York Regiment.

In reference to your PM, if you type 1st Battalion (Carleton and York), The Royal New Brunswick Regiment into your search engine you should be able to find information on The Carleton and York Regiment that is on the internet. The Carleton and York Regiment and The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment were amalgamated in 1954 to form The New Brunswick Regiment:

1st Battalion (Carleton and York), The New Brunswick Regiment

2nd Battalion (North Shore), The New Brunswick Regiment

and in 1956 the prefix 'Royal' was approved, thus:

The Royal New Brunswick Regiment:

1st Battalion (Carleton and York), The Royal New Brunswick Regiment

2nd Battalion (North Shore), The Royal New Brunswick Regiment

Cheers
Old 01-06-05, 13:21
Maria

Smile My oh my

Hi Mark,

Again I cant thank you enough for all the valuble information that you have given me about about my Dads Regiment The Carleton and York!

Hey, now this daughter has to find out how they were able to meet, now I know that my Mum and her friends who were in the ATS, had gone to this old english pub ... and would you believe it? there were Canadian Soldiers there, bless em and my Mum who had turned to get her drink ( sat at the bar ) her drink had gone...yep, right down the throat of this real cheeky Canadian Soldier who was terribly sorry at the mistake he had made, a likely story
But he promised to buy my Mum another drink next time...as he had no money left...good way to get another drink eh? oh yes and meet a very beautiful lady at the same time Mum was very attractive, how I wish I could go back in time and witness that amusing scene of two wonderful people:love: <<< exactly!

Now I must find out where my Mum was stationed and see if I can get the place where they both could have been at or near enough...Slough was where my Dad was last stationed, now to find out where Mum was...it never ends, does it?

Hope Everyone is just fine, it would be WONDERFUL if one day we could all meet up ???? <<< there sure would be a lot of that..yap Bye for now..
Old 01-06-05, 15:07
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: My oh my

Quote:
all the valuble information that you have given me about about my Dads Regiment The Carleton and York!
Hi Hilary;

Have you requested your Dad's Record of Service yet? I sent you the details on how to do this sometime ago.

Cheers
Old 03-06-05, 00:10
Maria

Unhappy Hi There

Hi Mark,

Yes I did send off a letter requesting my Dads Service Records, and sad to say that I heard nothing

As I have been very busy with coming over to PEI again ect, I simply left it at that. Do you think I should try again ? as it is so terribly important to me, wont do any harm, so glad you mentioned it

When I think that they (Dads Records) are stacked away somewhere, doing nothing or meaning nothing to anyone else, but to me they mean the world and eventually I know they would mean a lot to both of my sons...

Right now whats real important is Football and Girls...yes in that order Im afraid :

Old 03-06-05, 02:11
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Hi There

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Yes I did send off a letter requesting my Dads Service Records, and sad to say that I heard nothing
Hi Hilary;

How long ago did you send it?

Cheers
Old 03-06-05, 14:53
Maria

Red face Oh dear, oh dear!

Hi Again Mark,

To give a truthful answer to your question, its been so long ago, cant remember this is what I feel like doing, and if its taught me one thing..then its to write it down wether in a diary or even on the calender, which is what I do sometimes.

:idea: I have an idea , write it down always as I have a lot going on up there , mostly to do with Canada !!!.

At the begining I thought I would be unable to find out much to do concerning my Dad...but thanks to you Mark and everyone who has been so kind, I have found more then I expected and guess what? it`s still going on, still more to find out, but what you have told me to do with the Carleton and York Regiment I have to and thankyou from the bottom of my heart :love:

I wonder if I can find a picture of the SS Monarch of Bermuda ?

Will be back soon.....oh and how is that little Granddaughter of yours?, I miss those days, I think for a Mother its being needed, now theyre very independant young men and Mum is just Mum :
Old 03-06-05, 15:29
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Oh dear, oh dear!

Quote:
I wonder if I can find a picture of the SS Monarch of Bermuda ?

I believe you might want to go here for a history and pictures:

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~nashr/N...0page%202.html
Old 04-06-05, 05:53
RIP

Default ! RCHA-Monarch of Bermuda

Glad to be monitoring this thread.My two uncles sailed on this vessel as part of the first ccntingent of Canadians to go overseas with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.Well done Maria!!Keep the questions coming girl!
Old 04-06-05, 09:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Monarch of Bermuda - SS New Australia

A-ha! In the Shipping News I asked about the EMPRESS of Bermuda, which should have been the MONARCH. This now explains why Google could not find any Empress of Bermuda! The page Geoff mentions has this to say:

"On the 24th of May in 1947, the Monarch of Bermuda was gutted by a fire and burned out at Hebburn-on-Tyne while being refitted for return to passenger service. She was declared a total loss and supposedly sold for scrap.
A last minute reprieve saw her saved from the breakers yard when the Ministry of Transport reappraised the wreck, purchased her, and rebuilt her as an emigrant ship. She was moved under her own power to Southampton and rebuilt by Thornycroft.
In 1949 she was renamed the New Australia, and the Ministry of Transport contracted the Shaw Savill Line to manage her."
Old 04-06-05, 21:29
Maria

Quote:
Gutted by fire at Hebburn on Tyne
Dear Tony,

Thanks for the info on the Monarch of Bermuda, how sad, strange to say though, that although I was "made in PEI"
. Because my Mum got homesick I was born in England, not in Hebburn...but very near, South Shields !

So "she" was built on the Tyne and sadly ended her days there also

I have always had an affinity with Ships and my favorite of all was the Cunard Liner "Carinthia" I still have the labels and Menu signed by our Steward, a guy named Mike...cant remember his surname off hand, though I knew he had a Liverpool accent .
Old 04-06-05, 21:37
Maria

Thumbs up Hello Geoff :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I believe you might want to go here for a history and pictures:

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~nashr/N...0page%202.html
Dear Geoff this is my time to thank everyone for all the infomation they have given me, including you goodself great to see the SS Monarch of Bermuda which my Dad most likely sailed on with all those other brave Canadians..so Geoff a big thankyou
Old 04-06-05, 21:46
Maria

Smile Re: ! RCHA-Monarch of Bermuda

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Glad to be monitoring this thread.My two uncles sailed on this vessel as part of the first ccntingent of Canadians to go overseas with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.Well done Maria!!Keep the questions coming girl!
Dear Gary,

Im glad to that you are monitoring this thread also

You dont know any Gallants do you? my Dad was one of them Im proud to say and I loved my Mum very much but was always a Daddies girl :love:
More questions coming eh? hmm ok, do you know what the first meal that your two Uncles and I guess my Dad had on board ?
Old 04-06-05, 21:57
Maria

Default Re: Monarch of Bermuda - SS New Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
A-ha! In the Shipping News I asked about the EMPRESS of Bermuda, which should have been the MONARCH. This now explains why Google could not find any Empress of Bermuda! The page Geoff mentions has this to say:

"On the 24th of May in 1947, the Monarch of Bermuda was gutted by a fire and burned out at Hebburn-on-Tyne while being refitted for return to passenger service. She was declared a total loss and supposedly sold for scrap.
A last minute reprieve saw her saved from the breakers yard when the Ministry of Transport reappraised the wreck, purchased her, and rebuilt her as an emigrant ship. She was moved under her own power to Southampton and rebuilt by Thornycroft.
In 1949 she was renamed the New Australia, and the Ministry of Transport contracted the Shaw Savill Line to manage her."

Tony, sorry but when I read about SS Monarch of Bermuda being gutted by fire I did not thoroughly read the rest of your thread
So I was more then happy to read on, that she was rebuilt as an emigrant ship Hooray! and she made her way to Southampton yes? guess where I live?