MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 02-07-11, 05:28
Rick Cove

Default Wanted - Snorkel for a Humber FV1601A 1 ton

Wanted a snorkel (or any parts of one,) for a 1 ton Humber 4x4. I know they must be around as Rich C-S, found one for his. I think all of the Australian orders included the snorkel so where are they?

A set of hood bows are also needed. even if only a loan so I can copy them.

Thanks Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 02-07-11, 08:50

Rick,
the bottom inlet is cast aluminium and part of the wading kit, however, using the original steel inlet reversed to face up looks fine. I only know one person who would pick it as not being correct, and as he is such a gentleman, I am sure it would not be mentioned.
153 Humbers in the Australian Army, 3 Snorkels that I know of (possibly 4) so there must be a truckload of them somewhere. I am also on the lookout for 2 more, for interested parties......
I think the snorkel is a rare item in the UK as well, I know several Humber owners over there who have never seen one
As for hood bows, even the Humber King at Stawell does not have a full set. I assume you have the front bar with the storage brackets? These seem to survive on the truck,( Russel may have one of these spare), then it is a matter of matching the hoop part three more times. The rest of the bars are in 2 parts, including the FLAT section for the sides (These seem to go missing first).

This is what Rick needs:
Just noticed that the hood bow pic is not complete, but the only one I have of it naked. Missing are a set of the flats for the other side, and one set of the pipes running front to back.
Attached Thumbnails
Humber 033.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard Coutts-Smith; 02-07-11 at 08:53. Reason: Extra's
Old 02-07-11, 15:14
Rick Cove

Thanks for your informative reply, Rich. I do not have any part of the hood bow setup at all. How is the snorkel attached at the top end? Carn't make it out from the photos.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 03-07-11, 00:40

Rick,
You already have half the snorkel mount, small bracket with 2 holes, 2/3 of the way up the "A" Pillar. The coresponding pins are mounted on the side of the Snorkel, they just slide together after you line them up and let gravity do the rest. (This is the most simple thing about a Humber!)
Pic below (Hopefully it is big enough to show) shows the original air intake reversed, with a two-peice convoluted joiner (From a Volvo Truck I believe). Certainly looks the real deal.
NB. The drivers rear visioin bracket needs to be modified after the Snorkel is fitted, if you want both rear vision and be able to open the door all the way.
Of Historical interest, period footage and articles refer to this apparatus as a "Snork", which always sounds funny to me.
The front bar (See below) is what you need to get if you want to match original, as it has all the stowage gear built in and would be a fair bit of work. Try Russel, even a damaged one will give you most of the information you need to build the entire frame.
It is my belief that the canvas and round frames (In halves) are stowed on the front hood frame, the flat sections on the left side of the truck: remaining pic.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Humber Bows.jpg   Humber Snorkel W.JPG  
Attached Images