MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 26-08-08, 18:18
T-16, C15A

Default Repro 15cwt GS box cover

Gents,

I am planning on having a copy made of the GS box canvas cover made for my C15a. I have located a fellow who is nice enough to allow me to copy an NOS tarp during the long northern winter to accomplish this.

I have had very good results working with a local canvas supplier. The canvas mudflaps were exact duplicates and even smelled like the WW2 era parts. The colour, weight, and preservation of the material was spot on.

Initial estimates look to be in the ballpark of $500 each - possibly a bit less. I expect to make nothing from this reproduction effort, so shipping from Beachville to where you are would be extra also.

I have had interest expressed by 2 local CMPers, and wonder if anyone else with a GS box would like a canvas cover for it?

Please get back to me in the next while with your interest. I suspect that the canvas supplier will only want to do this once, so speak now, or you might miss the boat.

Give me a jingle at loys[at]gdls.com, or a PM.

Best regards,

Stewart

PS - I am going to have to make myself some bows also, so if you need them for your truck please advise. I have no idea what they will be worth to manufacture, but the tarp looks funny without them - more like a pile of canvas that a box cover.

Old 26-08-08, 20:09
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Stewart, just a sidenote here. I used 1" black gas pipe to make my bows for my 12 cab a few years back. I used an electrical bending hickey and a strong friend to help bend them up. If you have access to one of the power driven hickeys, even better.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 26-08-08, 21:01
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Tarp for 15 cwt

Hi Stu:

When are you going to production- cash flow drives the question!

Rope or springs and metal tabs for attaching to the box?

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 26-08-08, 22:03
David Pope

Perhaps you should clarify a few things here. First off, what model GS box are we talking about? They aren't all the same size. Next, there's two styles of covers, a flat one with no bows and a tall one with the bows. Each model of box seems to have different bows too. Just something to think about.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 27-08-08, 00:11
T-16, C15A

Default Production Schedule

Mike,

I suspect that once I get the tarp and fiddle with it a bit it will likely be mid-October. I am trying to get a slow period in the canvas makers schedule to see if that helps out the cause.

The box cover sample has ropes on the outside perimeter, and some canvas straps inside.

Here is a picture of what it will likely look like.

My box measures 82.5 inches long by 78.38 inches long, all welded. Can I get a sampling of sizes of other boxes? Are the Ford one the same, or will the Chevy guys be the only ones with new tarps?

Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Hi Stu:

When are you going to production- cash flow drives the question!

Rope or springs and metal tabs for attaching to the box?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
tarp sample.jpg  
Old 27-08-08, 01:01

Default Stewart.....

Does Beachville have hydro now???
Where the hell is it anyway??
I wouldn't listen to Chris V about his electric hickey. They have long, cold winters where he is.

Simundson (who else)
Old 27-08-08, 04:45
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Wow Stewart.

I feel a warm breeze blowing here on your post, kinda like hot air or something....

he he. Peter, don't go away mad, just go away.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 27-08-08, 11:27
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Colour...

I don't know if there were colour variations, but the tan tarp shown on the 15cwt in the MLU pages is original, war-dated with C-broad arrow... the only thing with that one was that the windows had been sewn over, but the space for them is still there for measurement purposes.
Old 27-08-08, 18:21
T-16, C15A

Default Where are they now ...

Jif,

Where is that truck and tarp now?

Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
I don't know if there were colour variations, but the tan tarp shown on the 15cwt in the MLU pages is original, war-dated with C-broad arrow... the only thing with that one was that the windows had been sewn over, but the space for them is still there for measurement purposes.
Old 27-08-08, 18:27
T-16, C15A

Default We don't need no stinkin' hydro ...

Peter,

This vital canvas work will be done in Tillsonburg. I know, I know - your back still aches when you hear that word ( Sorry to all of the 'Stompin' Tom fans out there ).

I just bought a new snowblower - so I suspect that it will not snow a millimeter this winter around here!

Are we still on for an OMVA get together in Kingston in early October? I was T-16ing at a Legion park dedication in Bayfield on the day of the summer show, and missed you.

Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter simundson View Post
Does Beachville have hydro now???
Where the hell is it anyway??
I wouldn't listen to Chris V about his electric hickey. They have long, cold winters where he is.

Simundson (who else)
Old 27-08-08, 19:15
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Loy View Post
Jif,

Where is that truck and tarp now?

Stewart
Dunno, but I can find out... it was living in Markham at the time, and IIRC the tarp was a $15 investment by the owner who scored it off someone who had no idea what he had...
Old 27-08-08, 22:53
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Box dimensions

Hi Stu:

Mine's an all steel bolt togther mounted on a Ford. I'll measure it up this weekend.

Based on production in Oct, my cash flow will have stabilsed so count me in.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 30-08-08, 04:04

Default Kingston Stew.....??

Delegation of Ottawa rotters intend to be present in Kingston.....

Boob
Canada
Old 30-08-08, 22:47
T-16, C15A

Default ...mmmmm ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Delegation of Ottawa rotters intend to be present in Kingston.....

Boob
Boob,

It sounds like that we should plan on meeting then ...

Stewart
Old 01-09-08, 15:59
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I have had interest expressed by 2 local CMPers, and wonder if anyone else with a GS box would like a canvas cover for it?
Stewart, while not local I would like a canvas cover for the 2C1 box on my F15A. I am looking for the "van" type which fits over the hoops. Technically speaking, a GS box is the one without the hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Perhaps you should clarify a few things here. First off, what model GS box are we talking about? They aren't all the same size. Next, there's two styles of covers, a flat one with no bows and a tall one with the bows. Each model of box seems to have different bows too. Just something to think about.
Good point David. According to the Body Types listed by Gregg, my 2C1 body is 82-9/16 inch long, while the 2H1 and 2J1 are 80-3/8 inch long.

H.
Old 06-09-08, 23:52

Default C15a cover

I am interested but I need to know how to mesure the box and at what price.
Old 07-09-08, 16:00
T-16, C15A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO (ret) Gilles Aubé View Post
I am interested but I need to know how to mesure the box and at what price.

Gilles,

If you were to get a friend to help the measuring would be easier. Please measure at the top of the box - just where the bows slip into the sides. My box tapers a bit, so if we both measure at the same place we can compare notes.

Please take three measurements for me:

1) measure the length from outside front to the outside back, excluding the tailgate;

2) measure the width, at the front of the box, between the small rails for the front top bow, and;

3) measure the diagonal from left front to right rear of the box.

Send the numbers to me at: loys[at]gdls.com

The canvas maker looked at a few pictures of CMP trucks with tarps and gave me an approximate price of $500 Canadian. She is waiting for me to get the sample so she can look at the straps and I will offer a (nearly) firm price before production begins.

The sample I have available has no windows in the sides or end flaps. I have not seen a sample of the windows, so I think the tarps will get made without them. It will be easier to make them without windows as those could be added later. The factory pix I have show the windows on the early trucks, but without a sample I am hesitant to add them. ( This is where Jiffero should jump in and say that the tan cover with windows is available to view ... )

A fellow has asked for tan rather than green canvas. The last time I saw production military canvas goods being made ( in SK ) they piled up the cloth and cut it 20 layers at a time - and the machine did not care. I will ask her if she can make tan and green for the same money.

I guess that once the sample has been reviewed by the canvasmith and a firm price is set we can begin the (unpleasant) business of trying to get down payments, organize shipping, make bows, etc., etc. We have 6 cats here on the farm, and herding them will likely be easier ...

To date there are 9 tarps ordered.

Stewart
Old 09-09-08, 05:01

Default I am in for one......

Hi Stew

If the canvass shop will cut a better price for a bunch of them I am in for a tarp cover for my cab 11 2B1 box... I measure the two sample boxes I have and they both come out at a shade under or over 80 inches long...... depending on the bends and the rust.

I have this theory that in real life when some poor very first class half a buck private when to the QM store to pick up a tarp for the motor pool..... they had one size for 15 CWT CMP trucks...... like the uniform they could be too small or too large..... but the guys made them fit. A two inch difference between the different model of boxes...divided by two... works out to one inch front and back.... factor in the bent bows.... stretch or shinkage in fabric.... war time quality control on size....... and voila... a perfect fit.....

Do the original tarp arangement include a seperate front/rear piece similar to Dodge power wagons....... or am I thinking to modern....?

BooBee
Canada
Old 09-09-08, 05:33
carrier mech

The originals were all one piece. This actually causes a problem in that the canvas will shrink (and drastically) if it is left folded up for the season. I made a few of these tarps when I was back in Moosejaw, and would try and make sure they were about 3" too long. But even so, they would shrink to the point of not wanting to go back onto the superstructure.
Old 09-09-08, 18:10
T-16, C15A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The originals were all one piece. This actually causes a problem in that the canvas will shrink (and drastically) if it is left folded up for the season.
Rob,

I hope to get to the canvas lady tomorrow to drop off some mudflaps for an Australian fellow. I will ask her:

1) how much shrinkage the (modern?) canvas gets,

2) if she has a sample of all 3 colours,

3) she can provide bulk material.

Bob - you would be tarp number 10, so we might get them for less now ...

Stewart
Old 12-09-08, 05:49
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
The sample I have available has no windows in the sides or end flaps. I have not seen a sample of the windows, so I think the tarps will get made without them. It will be easier to make them without windows as those could be added later. The factory pix I have show the windows on the early trucks, but without a sample I am hesitant to add them. ( This is where Jiffero should jump in and say that the tan cover with windows is available to view ... )
Just FYI and assistance, the model tarp (C/\) 1944, perfectly fits a 2J1 GS box.
Old 13-09-08, 23:56
T-16, C15A

Default Hanno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Just FYI and assistance, the model tarp (C/\) 1944, perfectly fits a 2J1 GS box.
Hanno,

Does that mean that you will be 'short sheeted' for your truck?

Stewart
Old 16-09-08, 10:24
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Hanno,

Does that mean that you will be 'short sheeted' for your truck?

Stewart
Stewart,

Yes, it seems I am.

Hanno
Old 27-09-08, 02:49
Addicted to Drab

Default who and when do I pay

Hi, Stewart,

My larder is full of Kraft Dinner (vitamine K) and red wine ....I know have victuals stored and can commit to sending $ for the tarp....who to, how much and when?

Cheers from sunny Windsor Ontario

Mike Timoshyk
Old 27-09-08, 05:34
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default canvas

My 2 cents worth

The canvas made in the 1940's would be 100% cotton duck - it has a coarse weave compared to modern canvas which is nearly always a fine cotton/polyester mix. One of the last places left making pure cotton canvas is India/Pakistan .. I bought a pure COTTON 16oz canvas tarp from a on-line dealer here in Aust. 9'X12' for 60$ - MADE in Pakistan.... they sell bigger sizes too. Canvas has a bias and it shrinks more in one direction than the other-it is very important to allow for shrinkage ... some of the modern stuff is pre-shrunk. Upholsterers usually cut it diagonally cos its easier to shape it for curves if the bias is with you.. not against you .

Depending on the quality.. $500 for a repro 15 cwt van tarp is very good value .. it's a steal . The lady may not realise how much work is involved ... it looks easy in a photo ! She won't be making much profit at that price . If you can find an original 15 cwt WW2 tarp as a pattern .. then your cooking with gas.

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 29-09-08, 07:22

Default 30 Cwt Canvas

Hi stewart: Robert here in Vancouver B.C. I've being following this page for some time. I was curious to inquire whether your source could make up a canvas unit for a Chev 30 cwt gs. box. I could provide the measements to you for a quote and or send you plans and measurements for my requirements. One large rectangular piece of canvas , with or without grommets. Don't know if there are any other interested parties out there, but it's worth a shot. Good luck in your venture.....regards....Robert
Old 29-09-08, 21:34
T-16, C15A

Default Some News

Gents,

The canvas place will copy or make anything that you can provide drawings of a sample of. I like the work they do, and recommend it. I have had mudflaps made, and am making more right now.

I plan to get the sample cover in a week and take it in for examination and final costing. At that time I will see how serious anybody is when I ask for down payments.

I got measurements of a tarp with windows, but have not seen the the plastic material. I hope the canvas lady can help us out with this. Otherwise the windows will be a DIY project for tarp buyers.

I understand that green and tan tarps will be about the same money, if anyone (else) wants a tan one. I suspect that they will look great on a stone coloured truck.

I will have fabric samples at the show in Kingston next weekend - see you there!

Stewart
Old 30-09-08, 07:08

Default 30 cwt canvas

Hi Stewart : Thanks for the info on the canvas. Being that my schedule dosen't allow me to be in Kingston, as I live in Vancouver, I would be willing to send you down a self addressed envelope for a sample of each color of fabric. If some of the locals are interested I can pass them around. Could you please provide me with a mailing address, if you can help. Many thanks...Robert P.S. NICE TO SEE SOME CANADIAN CONTENT IN THE CANVAS WORLD !
Old 07-10-08, 18:18
T-16, C15A

Default Update 07Oct08.

Gents,

I finally made it up to get collect the sample cover for the 15cwt truck box. It was suggested to me that I verify that it fits my truck well, then to bring it in for a repro of 1. If that cover fits, then we start mass production. I will get the cover to Tillsonburg this Friday to get things underway.

I also made contact with the guy on MLU who had the tan cover to look at windows. I got good measurements of where the windows should go, but don't know material of inner covering styles. I can ask the canvas lady regarding a rollable plastic, but I am stumped regarding how the window was covered inside.

DOES ANYONE HAVE PIX OF THE INSIDE OF THE COVER THAT SHOWS THE INNER FLAP COVER??? Please send them, or post them. If there are any at a museum I would be eager to get in and have a peek.

The timeframe looks like mid-November for getting the orders finalized. These tarps will make great stocking stuffers for the hard to shop for CMPer - tell you wife or girlfriend!

Stewart

PS - maybe pix later ...
Old 08-10-08, 15:01
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Stewart, check around places that do convertable car tops, I( know the plastic is available from them.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,