MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 27-11-10, 14:22

Still haven't found the number plate I have packed somewhere..but I remember I also have some TRW wrenches as well as some unissed clutch center pullers.

I really have to get the many boxes and bags unpacked in my basement!!!

There is a crated TRW on display in the Base Borden Museum as well as one uncrated.

Dean
Old 27-11-10, 22:23
M38A1 CDN3

Dean, Yeah, the TRW that's on display has (had?) a '51 pattern large pack in place, one side only, where the proper saddle bag should have been.

Always irked me to see that!
Old 28-11-10, 19:34

Dan I belive that there are no Canadian Military Harely Davidson built MT500's I think that all the MT500's ordered the CF were delivered by Armstrong before Harley Davidson bought Armstrong.

The Canadian MT500's are actually M50's as they had Electric Starters on them and were some of the very very few MT500's built that had electric starters.

I currently own a CF KLR250 and an Armstrong M50

Eventually I would like to add a CF military Triumph TRW to my collection. (when the funds are avalible)

Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJahn View Post
Hi Group

I currently have three Triumph TRW's. In fact I now own the one that Rob Love mentions half way through this thread that used to belong to Bill Hicks. Ironically it now resides in our museum on the former Chilliwack army base where it was bought surplus some thirty years ago.

Rob, I was communicating with the seller of the TRW you just bought when he sent an email indicating that it had sold 20 minutes earlier. That's okay I really didn't need a forth.

I'm looking for a Canadian Harley MT500 if some one wants to do a trade for a TRW.

Dan

Canadian Military Education Centre

www.cmedcentre.ca
Old 29-11-10, 03:41

Default Thanks Matthew

Very useful information.

I'm trying to collect most/all the motorcycles used by Canadian dispatch riders.

I have a Harley WLC, BSA M20, Triumph TRW (3), CanAm Bombardier and Norton 16H.

A couple of the bikes are on display at the Canadian Military Education Centre and Museum on the former Chilliwack army base in B.C.

I hope to put together a bigger display in the future.

If anyone has any ex Canadian forces motorcycles for sale ( or donate) please contact me.

Dan

CMEC

www.cmedcentre.ca

Last edited by DanJahn; 29-11-10 at 21:38.
Old 30-11-10, 20:34

Default TRW on epay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952-...item3f0553fdce

Pretty nice looking bike, just a few problems:

-Wrong spark plugs
-Wrong passenger seat pad
-Non-painted primary cover, should be green
-no air pump
-wrong location for decompression handle, should be close to the grip
-no CFR on tank or on blade
-early serial number for engine 1TRW24885 I will ask fro frame numbers

Not a bad price.

Jim
Old 30-11-10, 21:01

Default TRW quiz

Hi group

I see there have been no replies to my TRW quiz earlier in this thread. Before I reveal what I believe is the correct answer does anyone want to take a shot at the answer?

Dan
Old 30-11-10, 22:05

2 possible answers, no reason to believe either is correct:
ridden from one factory to the crating point at another
ridden around a specific route for testing before acceptance
Who has more suggestions?
Old 30-11-10, 22:07

Default Another TRW on epay, in Calgary

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very-...item255f30adb9

This bikes runs well and seems to be very original. The only things I noticed:

-modified headlight nacelle with light switch added
-incorrect dash ignition switch
-collapsed fuel lines
-wrong hose to carb from aircleaner
-odd wiring by battery
-too small seat cover

Neat though, the bike has original ignition wires with WD noise supressors.

Certainly not Royal Signals, but a regular DND machine. I don't know what those gloves are but the issued ones would be black leather gauntlets of some style or other.

Jim
Old 30-11-10, 22:16

Default TRW quiz

Good answers Grant. I like them even more than what I was told which I will reveal later in this thread.

Dan
Old 30-11-10, 22:30
carrier mech

Jim
That same bike is on Kijiji for 6K. It has been on ebay 3 times now and failed to get a bid. That is the same bike from posts #2 and 3 from this thread.

Seems like November would be a slow sales month for bikes.
Old 30-11-10, 22:37

Default Ebay/Kijiji TRW

Hi

I think it did get up to about $5200 in one of the Ebay listing but didn't reach the reserve price. Perhaps those that bid before can't be bothered this time around.

Somewhere I read they took it as a trade in.

Dan
Old 01-12-10, 17:01

Default TRW Mileage

Triumph engines were not normally dyno run at the factory prior to installation in the frame. My NOS TRW engine has never been run and it still attached to the storage crate. Like most manufacturers, the m/c was built completely and then broken down for crating as required, not all vehicles were to be crated for shipping. TRW's manufactured for British forces that were to be used in Britian and not added to war reserve were most likely not crated. This would be the vast majority of the TRW production.

A proportion of the manufactured motorcycles were ridden around a test track prior to the installation of chassis dynos in the late sixties. If a m/c was to be crated for export it would most likely have been run as there would be no option to correct faults otherwise. Domestic machines could be repaired under warranty at dealerships.

There are many books written by test riders of English machines as these guys are often the best source of data on rare machines. They kept detailed logs of each bike, the mileage and the type of failure they experienced. From one book I read, it seems that most bikes got a short ride through the gears of less than 10 miles while others were subjected to harsher testing. All of this was done without following the prescribed "break in" regime. Makes you wonder if the break in process was designed to keep RPM's down until the warranty expired.

Jim
Old 10-12-10, 15:24
carrier mech

For the benefit of others in Canada I'll relate my parts purchasing experience up to this point. I was heading to Edmonton Alberta, so I phoned ahead to motopartsinc ( www.motopartsinc.com ), who are online and deal exclusively in the British bikes. It was a great little shop to visit, but they only had a portion of what I was after. They did not have stock of the larger two items, namely the pannier rack/bags and the rear stand.

When I got back from Edmonton I called up Britcycle in Nova Scotia ( www.britcycle.com ). This is probably the largest NA suppler for Brit parts. Alas, they had neither of the bigger items either.

I looked at the website for Walridge in Ontario ( www.walridge.com ), but while they listed the pannier racks, they did not list the stand. As well, their prices were considerably higher. So I decided to expand the search and look overseas.

I was also watching ebay, but the few suppliers who were listing on there seemed to actually have the highest prices. There were also dealers like Burtons bikes in the UK, but for some reason, all my experiences with buying parts from the UK have usually resulted in higher shipping costs that the price of the actual items. As well, the British pound is still fairly strong against our dollar, currently sitting at around $1.63.

I found British Cycle Austria (www.vintage-motorcycle.com) who had the best prices (in €, which currently sits at $1.33) and ordered from there. Not only did they have stock, but their already low prices were reduced further by the removal of the VAT. Shipping of course brings that back, but overall I am paying around half of what I would have paid in North America.

So now, like a big kid at Christmas, I will wait weeks (or hopefully not months) for a parcel to arrive from Austria. I may be piecing this bike back together sooner than I had planned.
Old 01-01-11, 01:28
carrier mech

Well I got my pannier racks and rear stand today from British only Austria. Total time in transit including the holidays was just 20 days. I even got an extra bonus in that Canada Post did not bother to charge me duty on the parcel. As I mentioned in the previous post, the savings by ordering there far exceeded the extra postage. Quite frankly, I would have paid almost more just to send the same parcel across Canada express post.

I am tempted to drag the bike into the shop this month and get the wood furnace going. Only real drawback to working out in the shop in the winter is I am not able to paint....something about paint vapors and woodstoves.
Old 31-10-21, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Clive
The book is on my wish list. I'm hoping to pick one up off Marway militaria during the gun show circuit next month.

Here is a challenge for the fellow collectors. Does anyone have any suggestions for the British Bronze green? I was talking to Derk Derin who told me when he tried to get some mixed, the paint shop couldn't seem to match that color.
The colour is a Land Rover colour and was used extensively on the British Armed Forces soft skin vehicles during the Cold War period, it is BS 381C Deep Bronze Green 224 and is readily available here in the UK.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Stapleton; 31-10-21 at 18:10. Reason: Additions